For all you None belivers

tulkyuk

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate.... It doesn't really prove a thing.

Yes, .17HMR is a cracking round with loads more power and ability to take down game, but the guy basically proved that .22LR was quieter and could still hit things.

Horses for courses... Subsonice .22 with a mod == quiet and close. .17HMR == loud and long range.

Next time I go coke can shooting I know which gun I will reach for :lol::lol:

But if I am rabbit shooting, I will take the .22 :good:

The Coke can is not the issue or the fact that that both rifles could hit the can - its the amount of energy produced by such a small calibre rifle.

As the man says "Horses for courses"

I can, and have, taken 3 rabbits out sat no more than 5 feet from each other - I doubt the .17 can do that, but then I can't take 150 yard shots.

"Swings and roundabouts" - there is another nice old cliché :good:

Still not the issue on this post Stuart - Read above post, its about the energy produed by such a small round

As the man says "Horses for courses"

I can, and have, taken 3 rabbits out sat no more than 5 feet from each other - I doubt the .17 can do that, but then I can't take 150 yard shots.

"Swings and roundabouts" - there is another nice old cliché :good:

Sorry to disagree stuartp

WRONG last year i took 4 out of 5 rabbits that were sat at 146yds (rangefinder) checked with HMR first 3 just dropped not a twitch the 4th one flapped about and that scared the last one away..

They were all within 10 to 15 feet of each other....

I use the HMR a lot for bunny bashing but i also use the .22 as well "Horses for courses" both good rounds in my opinion...

Each, as well as .22 FAC Air, has its place :-

.22 FAC Air for around buildings, livestock and where you can't get rimfire cleared

.22LR Subs and a mod, you don't get much quieter, HV's and you extend that range and power when you don't need to be quiet

.17HMR for longer range stuff and where you won't get .22LR cleared

Every single one has advantages and disadvantages, there is a place for all 3 in every rabbit shooters cabinet!

50yds is nowt really for a 250 ft lb rifle but at 100yds I have noted that the ballistic tip does not always fragment and it's probably down to the reduced velocity at that range ............a good clip though :blink:

Off track .............Did you see the .17 hmr and goose clip :blink: ...........Although in Aus or NZ not a good advertisement for quick humane kills ..........blink:

.... but at 100yds I have noted that the ballistic tip does not always fragment and it's probably down to the reduced velocity at that range ...

Interesting, I have not managed to collect anything but fragments from my rounds as yet but I do note a completely different report from the strike on the target at longer ranges.

@50 or so you hear almost an explosion as the thing fragments

@75 3 out of 4 times you hear the same report as above but sometimes you just get a thud

@100 1/3 you hear the explosive report but the rest just thuds

past 100 you just get the thud. All dead bunnies but I had wondered about ricochet when shooting longer ranges.

I think it depends what you hit, shooting plywood targets at 200 Yards I've always found bits. What it gives you is more room for error compared to a .22, get it slightly wrong with the HMR you still have a dead rabbit, get it wrong with the .22 and you can end up with a squealing bunny that drags itself off to die slowly.

Guest rabgoat

i might be wrong but it looks to me that he has filled the can with liquid for the hmr shot,iv'e done this my self and if you hit a can with nowt in it with the hmr it'll just punch holes like the 22.add water and that's when it rips it apart.

I think they both do very different things, each slightly overlap but that's the beauty of them (in fact FAC air overlaps nicely with all 3).

There are things each of them can't do, which is why you need all 3 :blink:

IMAGING IF THIS WAS A ******* SQUIREL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

explains alot about the guy shooting in the video.

god this argument has been done to death, cant people just drop it, and realise its what u prefer not what the majority think.

cheers

flash

IMAGING IF THIS WAS A ******* SQUIREL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

explains alot about the guy shooting in the video.

god this argument has been done to death, cant people just drop it, and realise its what u prefer not what the majority think.

cheers

flash

:unsure: Both are very different rounds and one might suit someone better than the other,flatter shooting and further range suit me the quieter 22 might suit someone else but i dont argue with everyone telling them the 17 this that and the other.For the record that vid proves **** all the 22lr can was empty if it were full im sure it would have exploded to.

At around 70yds the damage on a rabbits head is unbelieveable .......In fact a fragmented HMR round empties the skull cavity ............I just seem to spend alot of time looking for entry and exit wounds on rabbits shot at around 100yds that's all ........................Using Hornady 17 grn V- max.

PS

It's good to talk lads :unsure: .............The new faces on here will naturally delve into subjects and topics already exhausted by us old timers :good:

just got in from rabbiting only got 6 but all were from 50 odd yards to about 100 i doubt i could have have done that with an air rifle at 32ftlb or a 22 rim using subs. nearly all were head shots apart from one which was a chest shot because of the angle ect, but all died where they were shot.

you pays your money and takes your choice. :good:

Agree with Ive on the fact that questions will keep on cropping up that have been asked before, its conversation thats all.

If some chap in the local talks on a topic that you dicussed the night before do you turn round and tell him

"you should have come in last night when we were on about that" and not talk to him. :unsure: I wouldn't think so

If someone has both on their ticket, it might be a good thing to do a more real world type test.

Simulated hunting conditions (ranges, targets etc) matching for both rifles, call it the zero range or the average distance you normally shoot at with the calibre, targets that react in the same way to a hit (thinking gelatin filled something) and the same sort of ammunition as hunting (expanding in both cases)

Just get a couple of camcorders, a dB meter or two and do the test. Noise level at the muzzel, noise level at the impact, impact of shot, damage etc could all be recorded and then worked into a three minute clip.