security advice for application

mr_colt

Hi,

I am currently applying for my SGC with my local firearms licensing authority (Staffordshire) as I wish to take up clay as a regular hobby:

I obviously now have to think about security, I'm going to go for a Brattonsound 4 gun extra deep as I have got air-rifles already. I am however unfortunate to live in a flat converted from the upper floor of a semi. The Property access is self-contained and I have UPVC type locking windows and multi-locking point door. So I don't expect the property (layer 2) security to be a problem.

The main problem is where to put the cabinet:- Living in a one bedroom flat without loft access; the only suitable room out of public view is the bedroom. Being a 70's build; the outer structure walls are breezeblock before brick. I was told by some other shooters that I would have to use "resin bolting" in order to adequately secure the cabinet for police approval.

I know that obviously the best advice would come from a FIO visit; but I have been informed that Staffordshire's expect you to have some sort of plan for placement before they even arrive. SO if anyone can give my any adivce on this I would be most greatful.

I would also like some advice for the home storage of carts because; I am a little unhappy in using an ammunition safe as I feel (as do some retired FIO'S at the BASC) that putting a mixture of nitrocellulose and lead shot in a confined metal case is a bad idea.

If someone can advise me to a suitable product that I can lock but still is portable (IE I can store it in the wardrobe and take it out when I need to take out some cartriges.) That would be great.

Thanks,

mr_colt

Hi Mr C,

I have heard of this resin bolt m,larky in Kent, it seems to be a standard requirement, have you thought about bolting a cheap digital safe from DIY stores to the top of your cab for ammo, I have done this and the FAO was very happy. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: D2D

You are not obliged to keep your cartridges in a locked container, I keep mine in the bottom of a cupboard, as long as they are warm and dry, there is no problem.

I am not familiar with the Brattonsound cabinet, but most security gun cabinets have a fixing in the base, that allows you to screw into a floor joist, this together with a wall fixing into breeze blocks should be sufficient.

Remember the cabinet has to be flush to the wall, so any skirting board will have to be removed, where the cabinet stands.

Would it be acceptable to mount it above the skirting board or is this only an option with conventional brick?

As for the carts; I want to keep them locked in something for general safety (in case i ever have peoples kids visiting really) I don't have any conventional cupboards I can lock them in you see.

Obviously a metal tool-chest would be ideal but is storing boxes of carts in them going to create a risk of compression in the event of a fire?

Would it be acceptable to mount it above the skirting board or is this only an option with conventional brick?

mine is above the skirting board resting on 2 house bricks...

rifle and 2 shotties are in there

flo is fine because it is securly held in place.... :rolleyes:

but there again mine is into brick...

You could use resin bolts but if the blocks are solid breeze block ( not thermalite or celcon ) sleeve anchors would do the job, in 4-5 inch. This way they are through the plaster and nearly to the back face of the block. If you put the cabinet above the skirting, as i have, you could always put a few more fixings in.

½ inch Rawlbolts will hold very well in breezeblock, just don’t use the hammer action on your drill when drilling the holes as this will stop any fragmentation.

I have used them for fixing my cabinet (and it’s a bloody big one) and it’s been on the wall for over 22 years in this house, and I have had it pulled, levered and hung on without any problems. :rolleyes:

G.M.

I found in Leicestershire that honesty is the best policy.

Incidently I've got a Brattonsound 3 Gun safe.

I had a hell of a time getting mine to fix, it took me nearly 2 days and much swearing.

When the Plod inspector came round I was up front that I was having a mare getting securely fastened to the wall.

He told me that my honesty was appreciated and to be perfectly honest worrying about the people that actually get a good cabinet isn't there biggest concern, at least I had tried as some people don't even bother!!

Scarily there biggest concern was trying to find where some of the guns that were bought in the last year were residing as for some reason some purchasers still aren't updating they're licenses.

:P

As for the carts; I want to keep them locked in something for general safety (in case i ever have peoples kids visiting really) I don't have any conventional cupboards I can lock them in you see.

Obviously a metal tool-chest would be ideal but is storing boxes of carts in them going to create a risk of compression in the event of a fire?

I keep my carts in a wooden chest which I padlock. The chest doesn't look too out of place in the house and houses at least 2000 carts plus most of my shooting odds and **** with ease. Keeps everything together and safe from the kids.

Steve Meakin is the feo that you will probably have in Staffordshire. He is a very friendly and approachable bloke. He will give you all the advice you need on where to fix your cabinet and even come back for a revisit after advice is given. He told me to ring him on his mobile if i ever needed any more help or advice.