Yet Another Wealthy Landowner usurps the law.

TIGHTCHOKE

If he'd wanted to build a new industrial estate he'd have been fine. They seem to get planning consent on green belt no problem round here.

While ever big land owners are getting subsidies to keep land away from developers there'll always be a deficit. Less than 10% of land in England is urban. I don't think we should, or even would, push for  gold-rush to the countryside, but I'd like to be able to afford to have some more space and fresh air for me and my kids without having to more than double my mortgage to buy a small plot, quadruple if I wanted to build.

I think a happy-medium would be to make it easier for people to build single family homes where it's not causing a problem to anyone else, instead of sprawling housing estates, the planning submitted by off-shore investors, or more industrial units.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

If he'd wanted to build a new industrial estate he'd have been fine. They seem to get planning consent on green belt no problem round here.

While ever big land owners are getting subsidies to keep land away from developers there'll always be a deficit. Less than 10% of land in England is urban. I don't think we should, or even would, push for  gold-rush to the countryside, but I'd like to be able to afford to have some more space and fresh air for me and my kids without having to more than double my mortgage to buy a small plot, quadruple if I wanted to build.

I think a happy-medium would be to make it easier for people to build single family homes where it's not causing a problem to anyone else, instead of sprawling housing estates, the planning submitted by off-shore investors, or more industrial units.

The point you seem to have missed is thet he failed to apply for any planning permission and built without it. Now he is offended that he has been told to remove it.

3 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

It is said that the wealth of a country is a function of its manufacturing output. Well, that lets us out. Yep, we do make some stuff but increasingly we don't own the companies but it does keep a fair few, albeit in decreasing numbers, folk employed. Consequently, we don't need any more industrial units. Define "industrial". Has anyone else noticed that just like where I live the proudly boasted units have absolutely no industrial take up and rapidly become retail outlets. The existing ones will soon start to be redundant except they'll evolve into forward delivery warehouses for you-know-who et al.

So, what about housing? Easy. Start looking for addresses similar to the likes of Flat 5, Debenhams Court or Apartment 9, John lewis Mews. Enough, you get my drift.

Now unfortunately, you have a problem with where it is that you want to live. As so does everyone else which has had the effect of pushing up the property prices to such an extent that many - particularly the youngsters - locals can't afford to live there. Consequently, unless there's a major sea change, you're going to meet some of them as they'll be living next door to you  at 11 Fraser House.