shooting over the weekend

turner

• 5 weeks later...

Got a call friday evening from a farmer that had some spring rape . He said he put about a 5 or 6 hundred pigeons off it that afternoon. So on Saturday i went along to this new bit of ground never seen it before in my life. Arrived at 8am sat in the motor for about twenty minets watching, saw about five pigeons. Got the gun out stood un the hedge where i had saw the flight line. Shot 11 in three hours. Packed up and went clay shooting to. Shot 2 x 9s on the pool shoot but there was 3 x 10s. shot 44 x 50 on the sporting didnt get a penny as there was 2 x 48s. But the weather was great and i had a nice day, and saw a few people i have not seen for quite a long time.

I was always under the impression that you could shoot a fox with a shotgun as long as it was not at any range and appropriate shot was used (ie no 2,1 BB etc). As far as i am aware it is not against the law but it might be worth finding out. If you do can you let me know as i would be very interested.

Sean

no pigeon shooting now until the wheat and corn are ripe and flattened. :< .all my shooting is over rape that is now way too high but still got lamping,crows and the rooks to keep me going.heres hoping for a good summer,strong winds in july with a bit of rain to flatten the corn :lol: and lots of spilt rape seed on the stubble.

:lol: it is on my land i see any body shooting at foxs with a bloody410,see if they would like me to shoot them at 35 yards with a 9mm garden gun at that range would not punch a hole in a paper bag let alone kill,westminster should make it law that the only gun you can kill foxs with is a rifle it would get my vote hands down, :P

I know its not the weekend, its now Thursday, but here's my report for today.

I covered 60 miles looking for the pigeons. Most of the land round me is either rape,spring drillings or beans. I couldn't find them anywhere so I decided to wait and see if I could see at least one flying somewhere.

My patience was rewarded as I saw one or two fly onto a nearby field. When I got there there must have been 300 woodpigeons on it. It was a set aside field and they must have found some chickweed on it or something. Whatever it was they just kept coming to it.

But, alas, it was on the corner of two busy roads ,with houses nearby and it was only about a hundred yards square. There was no way at all I could shoot over it safely. :P

Ah well, tomorrow is another day. :lol:

:lol: it is on my land i see any body shooting at foxs with a bloody410,see if they would like me to shoot them at 35 yards with a 9mm garden gun at that range would not punch a hole in a paper bag let alone kill,westminster should make it law that the only gun you can kill foxs with is a rifle it would get my vote hands down, :P

Like everybody has said shotguns are fine for killing foxes as long as there is common sense involved, so I think that a law about only being aloud to shoot them with a rifle would be a bit unfair.

Went out today (Friday)! Got up at 5.00 to try and catch mr fox trying to get at my grandads chickens but couldn't find him anywhere.

Took a walk over a wasted field which was over grown! Saw some rabbits running about but didn't want to shoot them because I wanted the fox! In the end couldn't find the fox anywhere so i decided to have a pop at some rabbits on the way back! I walked round a corner and there was a nice big bunnie sitting there eating some grass also there was another one a couple of ft behind it! I rose my 20bore OU slowly and squeezed the trigger!

''Got him''

I ran over there to make sure he was dead only to find I hit the other one and killed it at the same time!

Thats the first time ever I have shot 2 rabbits with 1 shot, I was soooo amazed! Gonna take some pictures tomorrow morning of me holding the rabbits and where I shot them etc:

Will have pics on here by at leat 1.00pm tomorrow.

PD

There's nothing wrong with shooting a fox with a .410 so long as its at the right range. We regularly shoot them out of the game crop at no more than 10 Yards, a .410 is easily capable of killing foxes in this senario. i myself have killed two foxes on different nights with my PCP .22 air rifle! Albeit they were both three quarter grown cubs that were squeeked in to about 10 feet. Both shot in the neck coming head on and were both stone dead. I would not try it in any other circumstance. As already mentioned comon sense is needed. Foxes my be vermin but they shouldn't be subjected to unnessesary suffering.

Foxes are very easily killed if they are shot in the right place at the right range. Your quite right mark and I know from being out foxing with people who use .410's that a fox will be killed at about 30 yards by a .410 if using heavy enough shot. But I would rather stick to the 12 bore.

I Recon if you are going to shoot foxes with a shotgun try to use a 12 gauge and BB or AAA size shot and full choke. If you have a rifle all the better, and sometimes even with these they are not always depatched cleanley but usally are. If you want shoot foxes with 410 then try to get a FAC so that you can use Brenak slugs through open choke in a 410 then a 410 is just the job.