What a difference........................................

Walker570

................................... a day makes !!    Just got in from a boundary day at Grimsthorpe Park.  Like a mini driven day, four or five beaters and a couple of walking guns and six standing.

Last week I was there and we hit the day that heavy rain came through and to be honest it should have been cancelled but we didn't and went home like dremched rats, birds just did not wish to fly,

108 shots 12 birds.    TODAY, we arrived as the clouds unfolded on this delightful estate, pheasants everywhere in the fields and the first drive birds leaking out before we could get to our pegs.

I was shooting 410 as normal and accounted for eight before the whistle went. Lots of shooting below me.  The day progressed in a similar manner with some superb birds showing and for about two hours the sun actually broke free from the clouds.  We could see a huge black cloud in the north heading our way and it was decided to shoot through.  We finished on 81 when the day was pitched at a 60-70 bird day.  The photo is the bag on the third drive.  Transported around the shoot in a gun bus and very substanstial elevensies and tea/coffe and cakes in a superb shooting room at the end.

What a difference a day makes.  There are a few gns who unfortunately drop on a disaterous day like our wash out and just do not understand how difficult it is to produce birds on such a day.  Tpoday the weather was kind and the birds responded.  In this game you have to take the rough with the smooth.    It ain't a computer game.

I hopefuly have another three or four similar days booked and look forward to them.

Edited by Walker570

It has brightened up a bit this afternoon, set to get cold tonight lincs. a sunny day again tomorrow. Makes a big change . Local pinks disappeared  last weekend but having a look tomorrow anyway. Just to get out before i go up Scotland for a fortnight Sunday.

I think we are all ready for a bit of brighter weather and hopefully colder .

Sick of getting wet this last few weeks, i have to admit that.

Sounds a cracking day out.
We have our third driven day this Saturday. Second was a big disappointment due to a lack of birds. Landowner keeps clearing swathes of mature wood for new, which has to be done I suppose, but it results in making our woods cold and exposed to wind....nothing likes wind. 
A similar shoot ten miles away is getting good returns but they have an abundance of warm woods. 
Last Saturday however was the first of our rough shoot outings and what a contrast it was; almost as many birds as the driven day but much more enjoyable even though I fired fewer shots. 

33 minutes ago, Scully said:

Sounds a cracking day out.
We have our third driven day this Saturday. Second was a big disappointment due to a lack of birds. Landowner keeps clearing swathes of mature wood for new, which has to be done I suppose, but it results in making our woods cold and exposed to wind....nothing likes wind. 
A similar shoot ten miles away is getting good returns but they have an abundance of warm woods. 
Last Saturday however was the first of our rough shoot outings and what a contrast it was; almost as many birds as the driven day but much more enjoyable even though I fired fewer shots. 

I saw old Xmas trees ( free very shortly ) meshed together to make a warm border around a felled/exposed wood that brought all birds back

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

................................... a day makes !!    Just got in from a boundary day at Grimsthorpe Park.  Like a mini driven day, four or five beaters and a couple of walking guns and six standing.

Last week I was there and we hit the day that heavy rain came through and to be honest it should have been cancelled but we didn't and went home like dremched rats, birds just did not wish to fly,

108 shots 12 birds.    TODAY, we arrived as the clouds unfolded on this delightful estate, pheasants everywhere in the fields and the first drive birds leaking out before we could get to our pegs.

I was shooting 410 as normal and accounted for eight before the whistle went. Lots of shooting below me.  The day progressed in a similar manner with some superb birds showing and for about two hours the sun actually broke free from the clouds.  We could see a huge black cloud in the north heading our way and it was decided to shoot through.  We finished on 81 when the day was pitched at a 60-70 bird day.  The photo is the bag on the third drive.  Transported around the shoot in a gun bus and very substanstial elevensies and tea/coffe and cakes in a superb shooting room at the end.

What a difference a day makes.  There are a few gns who unfortunately drop on a disaterous day like our wash out and just do not understand how difficult it is to produce birds on such a day.  Tpoday the weather was kind and the birds responded.  In this game you have to take the rough with the smooth.    It ain't a computer game.

I hopefuly have another three or four similar days booked and look forward to them.

Good account of your day Walker , as I get older I find a wet day more and more depressing , nothing you can do about it , we still do our bit but when the day is a washout I feel sorry for all concerned with all the hard work that goes into a days shooting .

58 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

It has brightened up a bit this afternoon, set to get cold tonight lincs. a sunny day again tomorrow. Makes a big change . Local pinks disappeared  last weekend but having a look tomorrow anyway. Just to get out before i go up Scotland for a fortnight Sunday.

I think we are all ready for a bit of brighter weather and hopefully colder .

Sick of getting wet this last few weeks, i have to admit that.

Down here it rained off and on all day , a horrible heavy drizzle , these last few weeks it seem never ending , as luck would have it we have got away with any serious rain on our shoot days ( 8 ) and our next one is this Saturday when it should be dry and cold .

GOOD LUCK on your trip up North .