Another season gone!

grahamch

23 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

I think the moment any hobby loses the pleasure it was meant to deliver it is time to look at how you can add the pleasure or move on!

As a hobby then I'd agree, but I regard shooting as a way of life. It has always been a part of my life for as long as I can recall. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

As a hobby then I'd agree, but I regard shooting as a way of life. It has always been a part of my life for as long as I can recall. 

It has been all my life and my job means I will always need to shoot.

Game shooting is a hobby which costs a lot of money. As do a lot of hobbies, I'm not going to pay to be unhappy or frustrated which I think is the point I'm making and I've been lucky to be able to move through game shooting.

Started shooting Pigeon in my teens in the late sixties, then had a long break travelling etc,  until moving to these islands twenty years ago, surrounded by Rabbits and Geese i felt a need to shoot again, [for food initially,] started to reload and gained satisfaction from the few birds i shoot a year, Got a Springer to encourage long walks and enjoying the hard work training him. shooting is integral to my life, I have reasoned that it is more honest to shoot than to buy meat and i wouldnt do one without the other. I have never shot game but would love to walk around a bit of arable and woodland with the dog and return home with a nice mixed bag of the best meat available

18 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

It has been all my life and my job means I will always need to shoot.

Game shooting is a hobby which costs a lot of money. As do a lot of hobbies, I'm not going to pay to be unhappy or frustrated which I think is the point I'm making and I've been lucky to be able to move through game shooting.

I’m fortunate enough to not to have to pay a lot for my game shooting, as I have a lot of ground to shoot on, and ferreting bunnies to guns and decoying is totally free. I actually get paid for some of the shooting I do. 
I suppose they can all be described as hobbies, but I don’t regard them as such; I can’t imagine my life without them. 

I am 75, have been shooting since my first air rifle for my 9th birthday, an Original Model 1 (wish I had kept it as quite valuable now).  I still manage to get driven shooting on small days for 6 times  year, I  am still a member of a walk and stand syndicate which I found a struggle the past 2 years because my mobility is not great, still attend for the laughs though.  Love pigeon decoying and shooting sitting in the hide is perfect for me,being out in the countryside enjoying nature, shooting is the bonus.

38 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Love this thread. Started shooting a shotgun at about 15 and it was all I ever wanted to do. Fell in love with fowling at twenty and that remains my first love. Just shooting regular driven game as I did for many years running my own shoot just doesn’t do it any more. I much prefer to work my labs three days a week than shoot. My shooting is now either fowling or occasionally shooting percussion guns with a team of similarly minded nutcases. Even wildfowling I put the gun down and observe on occasion rather than kill anything. Doubt I will ever really stop shooting but it has to be something a little different for example geese in Canada this season

Evening Dave ......First of all I hope you are on the road to recovery and feeling a lot better .

My first love is also wild fowling , or it was up to a couple of years ago , now I start later each year and don't get the same buzz as I once did when a goose come crashing towards the ground , or I take a couple of duck out that are swinging around a splash of water I am crouched beside , don't get me wrong I still enjoy it but not as much as I once did , now I am still as keen as ever shooting pigeons , maybe there is less work involved with being able to drive to where I intend to set up , shooting in warmer conditions and still find it challenging  .

I have just finished 17 days picking up which I really enjoyed and done a few days rough shooting with some foreign guns , and this Saturday we start four weeks roost shooting .

I can see me being involved in shooting one way or the other until my time is up , but pulling the trigger is now only a small part of the joys of shooting .

51 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Evening Dave ......First of all I hope you are on the road to recovery and feeling a lot better .

My first love is also wild fowling , or it was up to a couple of years ago , now I start later each year and don't get the same buzz as I once did when a goose come crashing towards the ground , or I take a couple of duck out that are swinging around a splash of water I am crouched beside , don't get me wrong I still enjoy it but not as much as I once did , now I am still as keen as ever shooting pigeons , maybe there is less work involved with being able to drive to where I intend to set up , shooting in warmer conditions and still find it challenging  .

I have just finished 17 days picking up which I really enjoyed and done a few days rough shooting with some foreign guns , and this Saturday we start four weeks roost shooting .

I can see me being involved in shooting one way or the other until my time is up , but pulling the trigger is now only a small part of the joys of shooting .

Yes.feeling a lot better thanks just having to fight not to do too much!

On 02/02/2020 at 10:23, grahamch said:

Am now in my late 50s and have shot since being 8 or 9. 

My ticket is also due for renewal in the autumn and l don't think l can be bothered with the hassle.  

I am quite a bit older than late 50s and have had my best season ever met loads of people from all over the world on my driven shooting  had a cracking stag and have enjoyed some fantastic woodland stalking, I have decided that when I am physically unable to continue that's the time to stop.