loriusgarrulus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wording is poor:

• Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home. 

That can be taken that I can't work from home so it is essential that I travel or it could mean that my work isn't deemed essential so I am not allowed to go.

I'm still unclear.

Edd 

Just now, eddoakley said:

The wording is poor:

• Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home. 

That can be taken that I can't work from home so it is essential that I travel or it could mean that my work isn't deemed essential so I am not allowed to go.

I'm still unclear.

Edd 

It is frustrating unclear I agree, however if you look at the list of essential workers here, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision, that should make things clearer.

Unless you do one of those things, then your work is not essential.  

It is totally unworkable. I have a friend who is an agricultural contractor, he climbs in his tractor cab and goes hedge trimming, doesn't speak to anyone all day and goes home at night. 

He is the person who will suffer from this along with similar people.  Will the police stop his tractor on route and arrest him ...totally ridiculous and unworkable.

I have a farmer friend who needs 40 acres of ground ploughed in the next 10 days whilst the weather holds and a contractor has got to do that, essential work yes but where does the contractor stand driving to the farm. 

Edited by Walker570

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

There is little doubt the selfish idiots have brought about..  

Some people being reckless for sure, but i think for an awful lot they are only trying to earn a wage.  I don't think that can be called selfish.

No going and moving high seats for you either, unless it is on your own land.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

It is totally unworkable. I have a friend who is an agricultural contractor, he climbs in his tractor cab and goes hedge trimming, doesn't speak to anyone all day and goes home at night. 

He is the person who will suffer from this along with similar people.  Will the police stop his tractor on route and arrest him ...totally ridiculous and unworkable.

His job isn't essential, what part of unprecedented and exceptional don't people get?

Yens of millions are going to suffer.  Whether you are doing something solitary or not, it is a blanket measure because folk are clearly unable to distinguish between essential or not.  The easiest way to make it unambiguous is just to say to everyone.

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Couldn't agree more. I could go to any number of my jobs and work alone, or even with a family member if need be.

I could be 100 yards from anywhere that anyone else could be. It would be strenuous, is that my exercise allowance?

Edd

2 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Some people being reckless for sure, but i think for an awful lot they are only trying to earn a wage.  I don't think that can be called selfish.

No going and moving high seats for you either, unless it is on your own land.

I was not talking about people going to work . I was referring to the total irresponsible idiots lined up outside supermarkets and farm shops, some actually fighting over a packet of toilet rolls or even parking their cars.  Had they not been so selfish and kept to the guide lines I don't think this last order would have been put in place.

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Boris has closed all my suppliers, so in effect has stopped me working, even though my work is ‘absolutely essential’ to me because I have bills to pay. 

The definition is that it has to be essential or critical to the covid19 response or within critical infrastructure by and large.

Everybody's work is essential to pay bills, otherwise why would we work when we could be having much more fun?  

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

To a certain extent I agree, it’s an urban based ( though applies to us all ) legislation ( if it in fact is legislation ) really. We live in an extremely rural area, and those ive spoken to since Boris’ announcement ( all self employed ) day they will carry on as police around here are as rare as rocking horse poop, and their resources will be stretched even more now. We’ll see. 

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

I was not talking about people going to work . I was referring to the total irresponsible idiots lined up outside supermarkets and farm shops, some actually fighting over a packet of toilet rolls or even parking their cars.  Had they not been so selfish and kept to the guide lines I don't think this last order would have been put in place.

I wouldn't argue with that, but whilst that is newsworthy it is probably still a small percentage of the population.  

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

His job isn't essential, what part of unprecedented and exceptional don't people get?

Yens of millions are going to suffer.  Whether you are doing something solitary or not, it is a blanket measure because folk are clearly unable to distinguish between essential or not.  The easiest way to make it unambiguous is just to say to everyone.

So why has that not been said?

If you work in a Asda you can go to work?

Admin staff there? Delivery drivers? Cleaners? Warehouse staff? Central depot staff? Petrol station staff? Mechanics to keep the trucks running? Maintenance staff for the building?

Just listening to mayor of London saying "in my view construction should stop"

Edd

1 minute ago, Scully said:

To a certain extent I agree, it’s an urban based ( though applies to us all ) legislation ( if it in fact is legislation ) really. We live in an extremely rural area, and those ive spoken to since Boris’ announcement ( all self employed ) day they will carry on as police around here are as rare as rocking horse poop, and their resources will be stretched even more now. We’ll see. 

Yep, i expect that to be the case too, until someone in the local village dies and some may appreciate what is really essential.  Legislation has to be aimed at the vast majority though and the vast majority live in urban areas.

Just now, grrclark said:

Yep, i expect that to be the case too, until someone in the local village dies and some may appreciate what is really essential.  Legislation has to be aimed at the vast majority though and the vast majority live in urban areas.

Lowest common denominator!

1 minute ago, eddoakley said:

So why has that not been said?

If you work in a Asda you can go to work?

Admin staff there? Delivery drivers? Cleaners? Warehouse staff? Central depot staff? Petrol station staff? Mechanics to keep the trucks running? Maintenance staff for the building?

Just listening to mayor of London saying "in my view construction should stop"

Edd

By and large yes, if you work in Asda in a role that is key to getting food on the shelves in a safe way then you will continue to work.  They are looking for thousands of people right now, plenty opportunity to apply.

I agree fully that it should be clearer, but expect that to come out over the next hours and day.

I wouldn't argue with that, but whilst that is newsworthy it is probably still a small percentage of the population.  

There where over a hundred people massed outside our local farm shop yesterday, large car park and the road for a couple of hundred yards blocked with cars. Similar incidents at another farm shop and at a large Tescos in town with fighting, I wouldn't call that a SMALL percentage of the population.   Been the same at every food outlet in the area even the small village shops have seen it.

Just now, Walker570 said:

There where over a hundred people massed outside our local farm shop yesterday, large car park and the road for a couple of hundred yards blocked with cars. Similar incidents at another farm shop and at a large Tescos in town with fighting, I wouldn't call that a SMALL percentage of the population.   Been the same at every food outlet in the area even the small village shops have seen it.

It is a chunky crowd, but in the larger scheme of things it is a small number.  I think that we fail to appreciate just how many folk live on these islands.

4 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I quite agree, but that doesn’t pay my bills unfortunately. 

It is a chunky crowd, but in the larger scheme of things it is a small number.  I think that we fail to appreciate just how many folk live on these islands.

What some of us seem to not appreciate is just how many thoroughly stupid inconsiderate selfish people live in this country.