Fieldsports related advice during the coronavirus outbreak

3 minutes ago, clangerman said:

I suggest you contact defra and set them straight then as defra has now made it crystal clear via farm boys excellent efforts your allowed to carry out crop protection 

Are you for real? 

im beginning to doubt that you even shoot or have a shotgun certificate 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, clangerman said:

no need for insults held my tickets since the 60s thank you 

Not insulting you 

however you constantly seem to avoid answering any questions and seem to have a total disregard for public safety and or respect for the government organisations ie the police 

in fact you come across in a lot of your posts as a bully that brow beats until you get your own way 

However that’s just my view It maybe because you’re new to the internet? 

please post a few pictures of the bags you have had in the last 50 years 

i have the greatest respect for those i think deserve it as for bullying i have been on the receiving end countless times on here nobody can deny some on this subject try to dictate non stop we should stay in as for photos i have no problem sharing mine and intend to do so shortly starting with a white woodie you may find interesting 

9 hours ago, clangerman said:

i have the greatest respect for those i think deserve it as for bullying i have been on the receiving end countless times on here nobody can deny some on this subject try to dictate non stop we should stay in as for photos i have no problem sharing mine and intend to do so shortly starting with a white woodie you may find interesting 

Good to know that you’re planning to contribute in a more positive way I look forward to seeing the pictures of your experience in the field and hear some of the tales about your shooting days from the last 50+ years 

maybe nice to hear of the changes you have experienced in equipment as you know the young members are always interested 

out of interest what was your first gun from the 60 s 

mine was a single cooey followed by a j.h.linnington hammer gun 
first non hammer gun I had was made by Patterson of Southampton 

all the best 

of 

9 hours ago, clangerman said:

I think you are confusing bullying with disagreement with your ,at times outlandish posts. For example your phoning round farmers to seek permission to go out to shoot pigeons solely in response to other posters taking you to task on your opinion that there were no restrictions on heading out to shoot pigeons. The post that began” here’s a life lesson lads”.
Responding to such nonsense is hardly bullying ,it is an effort to balance extreme views that are in the minority. This is a public forum and as such represents the views of all shooters , if your views are not representative of the majority of shooters that have voluntarily put a hold on shooting as advised.then the Pigeon Watch forum should reflect that.

32 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Good to know that you’re planning to contribute in a more positive way I look forward to seeing the pictures of your experience in the field and hear some of the tales about your shooting days from the last 50+ years 

maybe nice to hear of the changes you have experienced in equipment as you know the young members are always interested 

out of interest what was your first gun from the 60 s 

mine was a single cooey followed by a j.h.linnington hammer gun 
first non hammer gun I had was made by Patterson of Southampton 

all the best 

of 

think it was single barrel 410 sporting a crack in the fore end but good enough to do the job 

23 minutes ago, Konor said:

I think you are confusing bullying with disagreement with your ,at times outlandish posts. For example your phoning round farmers to seek permission to go out to shoot pigeons solely in response to other posters taking you to task on your opinion that there were no restrictions on heading out to shoot pigeons. The post that began” here’s a life lesson lads”.
Responding to such nonsense is hardly bullying ,it is an effort to balance extreme views that are in the minority. This is a public forum and as such represents the views of all shooters , if your views are not representative of the majority of shooters that have voluntarily put a hold on shooting as advised.then the Pigeon Watch forum should reflect that.

it’s only common curtesy to ring perms rather than leave them high and dry in these times i do NOT ask to go i ask IF i am required as for going out i do not treat my perms as a take take take situation  anyone who wishes to remain in are welcome to do so something which i do not constantly condemn them for unlike those who do go have to take on here from some 

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

And the first thing you shot with it ? 

we all remember our firsts 

rabbit on my grand parents farm 

20 minutes ago, clangerman said:

it’s only common curtesy to ring perms rather than leave them high and dry in these times i do NOT ask to go i ask IF i am required as for going out i do not treat my perms as a take take take situation  anyone who wishes to remain in are welcome to do so something which i do not constantly condemn them for unlike those who do go have to take on here from some 

The reason you are being condemned ,as you put it ,by some on this forum is because you are needlessly travelling contrary to government advice which has been put in place to protect life.

And the reason you quoted in the earlier post for phoning round was not out of courtesy but in response to criticism from others in this forum as you made abundantly clear.

There would be no reason for you to condemn any one staying in to protect others during this pandemic. The criticism towards your posts is justified condemning people who stay in to prevent the spread of the virus is illogical.

Edited by Konor
Spacing

5 minutes ago, Konor said:

The reason you are being condemned ,as you put it ,by some on this forum is because you are needlessly travelling contrary to government advice which has been put in place to protect life.

And the reason you quoted in the earlier post for phoning round was not out of courtesy but in response to criticism from others in this forum as you made abundantly clear.

There would be no reason for you to condemn any one staying in to protect others during this pandemic. The criticism towards your posts is justified condemning people who stay in to prevent the spread of the virus is illogical.

if i was not allowed to operate on calling 101 i would be told not to go so take it up with defra and the police most of my perms come from word of mouth from other farmers so i am more than happy people refuse to turn out for them 

28 minutes ago, clangerman said:

On the now locked BASC/DEFRA thread you posted

”Here’s a lesson in life chaps thanks to a couple trying to dictate and insult me last night it inspired me to switch from waiting for farmers to call to ringing them so I’m now out this afternoon and tomorrow how ironic is that lol”. 

As you didn’t follow this up with pictures or a post telling of the large bag you made on these  days out ,which if I read your character correctly you would have ,I’m guessing your time out could be considered non  essential..

what is it with photos your the second person who asked for one i am not going to post pics of myself with piles of dead birds i do not need to prove anything however i will in due coarse post a couple just to embarrass you and anyone else foolish enough to call me some sort of blagger 

16 minutes ago, clangerman said:

what is it with photos your the second person who asked for one i am not going to post pics of myself with piles of dead birds i do not need to prove anything however i will in due coarse post a couple just to embarrass you and anyone else foolish enough to call me some sort of blagger 

You won’t be embarrassing me your continual missing the point embarrasses yourself.

Im not accusing you of being a blagger. I am drawing your attention to your contradiction of your previous posts

Edited by Konor
Addition

9 minutes ago, Konor said:

You won’t be embarrassing me your continual missing the point embarrasses yourself.

Im not accusing you of being a blagger. I am drawing your attention to your contradiction of your previous posts

if my name appeared next to pics proving someone was not a blagger i would be more than embarrassed now i must pack the kit as i’m of out 

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if my name appeared next to pics proving someone was not a blagger i would be more than embarrassed now i must pack the kit as i’m of out 

Not embarrassing at all it’s a bit more about credibility 

how can anyone be taken seriously if there not credible?

28 minutes ago, Konor said:

As you didn’t follow this up with pictures or a post telling of the large bag you made on these  days out ,which if I read your character correctly you would have ,I’m guessing your time out could be considered non  essential..

An interesting point. Does "essential" migrate to "non-essential"? By experience I suspect the answer is found somewhere in the unpredictability of crow and pigeon behaviour. Because, if we could predict the outcome we could at any time determine the "go / no go" days we would go out.

Last week, for example,  I received 'phone request + email + photos of very large crow No's on Spring barley Drillings. I telephoned 101, they didn't need the evidence but thought it useful if I was stopped. I got agreement for next day to solo travel, shoot, return (I didn't see or speak to anyone). Next day, on farm, the unpredictability factor kicked in.......... Very few crows. They had found somewhere more to their liking. But, walking the fields the damage was evident. So, on that day it could be argued that my presence was non essential although when planning with good intentions and noting the damage, it certainly was essential.

It's a Curate's Egg. But certainly not as black and white as some suggest.

1 hour ago, Konor said:

With all due respect, clangerman isn't saying he would condemn people who stay in etc etc. What he's saying is,,,, for people to stay in if they want to, but please stop telling him to not go out,,,, continueosly and continueosly, repeatedly and repeatedly, and keep on repeating the government's message.

That's how I read his replies anyway 😉

13 minutes ago, JKD said:

With all due respect, clangerman isn't saying he would condemn people who stay in etc etc. What he's saying is,,,, for people to stay in if they want to, but please stop telling him to not go out,,,, continueosly and continueosly, repeatedly and repeatedly, and keep on repeating the government's message.

We don’t have a choice. If its our job our work its never been in question, if its not. Its adjustment fudging making it fit, and as such open to different interpretation by people who have the ability to change your shooting activity INSTANTLY.  Its not justifiable. And even if it was in writing , Deeming what is and is not essential is fraught with complication.

Forgive me for pasting this here. But the words from this old super tramp song . seem some how fitting  here and it fits in with my bewilderment on this subject.

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily
Oh joyfully, playfully watching me
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible
Logical, oh responsible, practical
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable
Oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical
There are times when all the world's asleep
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
Please tell me who I am
I said, watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical
Liberal, oh fanatical, criminal
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're Acceptable
Respectable, oh presentable,
A vegetable.
Edited by lancer425

10 minutes ago, clangerman said:

the pair of you were definitely claiming i’m some sort of blagger i’m entitled to prove otherwise and will be doing so 

If you take the time to read my posts you will see that I’m not accusing you of being a blagger what you are trying to do is divert attention away from what I am saying and to argue a point which as far as I am concerned is irrelevant to the points I am making and which you continually avoid by referring me to contact the police or DEFRA to somehow complain about an anonymous shooters behaviour.

1 minute ago, lancer425 said:

"

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily
Oh joyfully, playfully watching me
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible
Logical, oh responsible, practical
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable
Oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical
There are times when all the world's asleep
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
Please tell me who I am
I said, watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical
Liberal, oh fanatical, criminal
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're Acceptable
Respectable, oh presentable,
A vegetable."

We don’t have a choice. If its our job our work its never been in question, if its not. Its adjustment fudging making it fit, and as such open to different interpretation by people who have the ability to change your shooting activity INSTANTLY.  Its not justifiable. And even if it was in writing , Deeming what is and is not essential is fraught with complication.

Forgive me for pasting this here. But the words from this old super tramp song . seem so reliant here and it fits in with my bewilderment on this subject.

Forgive me, but we do have a choice, and clangerman, among others, has made his.

His only criticism is that you and others keep on repeating yourselves,,,, keep on repeating yourselves,,,, keep on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Can I please ask,,,,, who appointed you as PW's government spokesperson ?

14 minutes ago, JKD said:

This, but it is apparent some just can’t help themselves when it comes to telling others what to do. No doubt this post will be followed by more telling others what they should and shouldn’t be doing.

Its fine and acceptable for governments to do this, but it’s not for keyboard warriors to do likewise. Some landowners have taken it upon themselves to try and block public footpaths and bridleways locally. This is not acceptable. It may only be rumour, but one confrontation between a couple of locals is said to have become extremely heated.  
Each to their own. 

We’re heading for yet another blocked thread as this is now treading an inevitable yet familiar path. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

This, but it is apparent some just can’t help themselves when it comes to telling others what to do. No doubt this post will be followed by more telling others what they should and shouldn’t be doing.

Its fine and acceptable for governments to do this, but it’s not for keyboard warriors to do likewise. Some landowners have taken it upon themselves to try and block public footpaths and bridleways locally. This is not acceptable. It may only be rumour, but one confrontation between a couple of locals is said to have become extremely heated.  
Each to their own. 

We’re heading for yet another blocked thread as this is now treading an inevitable yet familiar path. 

hello, the way i see it Scully if your local police force has given the ok go ahead and do help the farmers with correct procedures, those that have said no i am afraid its just that

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

Each to their own. 

I concur on all your points.

I can also understand the landowner's actions, but if it's a public right of way they are in the wrong,,,, unless it is very very close to where they and their family, workers etc, are working etc. Either way, there are probably thousands of situations during 'this' that are awkward and difficult 🙁

Common sense normally prevails,,,,, oh hang on 🤔😏

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, the way i see it Scully if your local police force has given the ok go ahead and do help the farmers with correct procedures, those that have said no i am afraid its just that

Sensible statement. I've said it before,,,, people see other's situations as they see their own,,,, this just isn't the case in a vast majority of cases. So please think of the bigger picture before replying. 🙂 👍

Edited by JKD
Context