Fieldsports related advice during the coronavirus outbreak

5 minutes ago, JDog said:

PeterHenry,

You will get a lot of flack for your post and you will have to use your Paralegal brain to fight your corner and good luck to you but you will have to learn to spell rather better if your posts are to achieve some credibility.

Alas, but dyslexia is my downfall. 

All of my letters at work are proof read before being sent out - but yes, I tend to agree with you - and I go back to edit posts if I spot a typo.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Work would imply payment!

Were you being paid?

No it doesn't. Charity work - for instance - carrys no such implication, but it is still work.

Edited by PeterHenry
Spelling

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Work would imply payment!

Were you being paid?

This is simply not correct. There may be some quid pro quo or off set or in kind or indeed cash but there is no requirement for work to be paid. 

Work ; activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.
"he was tired after a day's work in the fields"

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

So yourself - Farmer and Cheshire Police have stuck 2 Fingers up to the Government BASC other organisations NHS and all those suffering from Coronavirus .

You certainly don't come across as a responsible person to me infact totally the opposite

You come across as very easily manipulated if you are incapable of comprehending there are sometimes exceptions to general conditions when covered by a blanket rule for all circumstances.

The rules were rushed out to combat morons who were still gathering in groups in popular locations after being advised to carry out social distancing.

It cannot be hard to accept that someone spending say five hours alone in deserted countryside is less likely to spread or catch the virus than passing someone who may have just coughed out a lung full of virus on a narrow footpath in a dense housing estate, or even staying in with family members.

Edited by Dave-G

38 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I'm a member of BASC and I'll refer you to their current stance on crop protection at this time.

I'll also refer you to the government's position on essential work that cannot be done from home.

Shooting near foot paths always seem to invite problems and something I try avoid at all times , with the public having the right to use them as a form of exercise in normal times let alone now with the country going through a crisis we have never seen in our lifetime , myself and most other shooters wouldn't have been there in the first place and if anyone had been tempted I would had hopped they would have kept well away from where people are taking themselves and there children for some fresh air and to take there minds off of all the dome and gloom we are living with .

Surely a gas gun and a few bags would have protected the seed bed while you were at home ??:hmm:

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Shooting near foot paths always seem to invite problems and something I try avoid at all times , with the public having the right to use them as a form of exercise in normal times let alone now with the country going through a crisis we have never seen in our lifetime , myself and most other shooters wouldn't have been there in the first place and if anyone had been tempted I would had hopped they would have kept well away from where people are taking themselves and there children for some fresh air and to take there minds off of all the dome and gloom we are living with .

Surely a gas gun and a few bags would have protected the seed bed while you were at home ??:hmm:

True - I try and avoid footpaths if I can. However, if I cant, I always possition myself on them, as that way I am visible and not shooting towards them.

As you know though, farmers are in full swing at the moment - there are lots of feilds and not necessarily enough bangers to go in every one.

Further - as you know, but included for the sake of completeness - they tend to loose effectiveness as time goes on.

Finally, as I have found with electric fences in feilds with footpaths - the batteries tend to go missing.

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Surely a gas gun and a few bags would have protected the seed bed while you were at home ??

If he “had just drilled” what opportunity was there to comply with the non lethal general licence terms like gas guns or can they be skipped if need be or complied with by just firing a couple of shots to scare the birds as one setup to shoot them? Everybody looks to have different views of what is required to comply with the GLs for crop protection.

7 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

If he “had just drilled” what opportunity was there to comply with the non lethal general licence terms like gas guns or can they be skipped if need be or complied with by just firing a couple of shots to scare the birds as one setup to shoot them? Everybody looks to have different views of what is required to comply with the GLs for crop protection.

It had been drilled about three or four days.

There are other feilds of oats on the farm and also barley, amongst others. A banger is regularly used as part of a rotation of techniques which includes shooting. 

On a farm wide basis - and this is only my interpretation of the general licence for woodpigeons - the approach is broadly compliant.

43 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

You come across as very easily manipulated if you are incapable of comprehending there are sometimes exceptions to general conditions when covered by a blanket rule for all circumstances.

The rules were rushed out to combat morons who were still gathering in groups in popular locations after being advised to carry out social distancing.

It cannot be hard to accept that someone spending say five hours alone in deserted countryside is less likely to spread or catch the virus than passing someone who may have just coughed out a lung full of virus on a narrow footpath in a dense housing estate, or even staying in with family members.

Really you nothing about myself as i also know nothing about you.

For the record I'm definitely not " easily manipulated " far from it. I've got plenty of Pigeons to shoot and even more Deer being a pain but following advice i choose to not put myself and others at risk whilst i do agree me on my own ( as other shooters ) controlling Deer and Pigeons does not put others at risk but i don't make the guidelines/rules up. Honestly does pee me off seeing Horse riding bike riding along with other outdoor activities carrying on where as I'm advised no shooting or Stalking if i choose to ignore advice then both my FAC and SGC are at risk. Being a very keen Wildfowler I've suffered plenty of Cold weather Bans do i stop shooting definitely yes but i know of plenty who carry on as there area is not frozen inspire of the blanket ban. 

I've got pigeons flighting non stop onto a field ( which i can shoot ) at the bottom of my garden would i put anyone at risk definitely not but i would put my FAC and SGC something which i personally won't do

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

I'm a member of BASC and I'll refer you to their current stance on crop protection at this time.

I'll also refer you to the government's position on essential work that cannot be done from home.

And you are just twisting things to justify your actions. 

4 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I'm not twisting things to justify my actions, I'm mearly justifying them.

I've pointed you in the direction of BASC's current guidelines and also the current Government guidelines - both of which are supportive of my actions in the circumstances.

19 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Really you nothing about myself as i also know nothing about you.

For the record I'm definitely not " easily manipulated " far from it. I've got plenty of Pigeons to shoot and even more Deer being a pain but following advice i choose to not put myself and others at risk whilst i do agree me on my own ( as other shooters ) controlling Deer and Pigeons does not put others at risk but i don't make the guidelines/rules up. Honestly does pee me off seeing Horse riding bike riding along with other outdoor activities carrying on where as I'm advised no shooting or Stalking if i choose to ignore advice then both my FAC and SGC are at risk. Being a very keen Wildfowler I've suffered plenty of Cold weather Bans do i stop shooting definitely yes but i know of plenty who carry on as there area is not frozen inspire of the blanket ban. 

I've got pigeons flighting non stop onto a field ( which i can shoot ) at the bottom of my garden would i put anyone at risk definitely not but i would put my FAC and SGC something which i personally won't do

Yet you "knew" enough about someone else to write this: "You certainly don't come across as a responsible person to me infact totally the opposite"

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

Why does the GL keep being misunderstood? 

There are NO requirements to try non lethal methods before shooting!

3 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Are you suggesting that this is all that is ever necessary, if not then surely your statement is null and void.

No , I am not suggesting a gas gun is all that is necessary , but a gas gun is working from when it can be legally switched on to a time when it is switched off , which is normally a lot longer than someone shooting pigeons , also I don't think a gas gun and some plastic flags acting as bird scarers would have warranted a member of the public calling the police if he felt feeling endangered by somebody with a shotgun on a footpath , just my thoughts .

I've never know such a pointless load of bickering nonsense on this forum. Cabin fever....?

The guy was legally in the right, the police supported him as they should have, full marks to them, JOB DONE.

Can we all go back to playing nicely and supporting each other with help and info' etc during these tricky times?

Any farmer who loses a field of any sown crop today doesn't deserve to be called a farmer. Drills today IF used correctly put the seed in so well that only a very small amount is left on the surface.  Certainly carelesness using the equipment can make a difference.  Rcently had one of my friends sowed a field of wheat in February and was worried the crows where taking the seed. In fact if you ook at field today it is absolutely perfect and looking good. The crows(rooks) where probably picking out the disturbed wireworm etc.

NOW, maize is a different story because rooks will wait till the first green shoots show and then systematically walk up a row pulling the green shoot and maize seed out.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Any farmer who loses a field of any sown crop today doesn't deserve to be called a farmer. Drills today IF used correctly put the seed in so well that only a very small amount is left on the surface.  Certainly carelesness using the equipment can make a difference.  Rcently had one of my friends sowed a field of wheat in February and was worried the crows where taking the seed. In fact if you ook at field today it is absolutely perfect and looking good. The crows(rooks) where probably picking out the disturbed wireworm etc.

NOW, maize is a different story because rooks will wait till the first green shoots show and then systematically walk up a row pulling the green shoot and maize seed out.

That, I would say, depends on the age of the machinery being used - which in turn often depends upon the profitability of the farm and indirectly its acerage.

I'd also add that modern farm equipment is significantly larger that the older equipment it replaced - which in turn often requires hedge rows to be pulled up to make usable sized feilds.

That said, I'm not a farmer so this is purely the observation of an amateur - and gained though conversation / and first hand experience at that. As such, i'm more than happy to be corrected and will bear no ill will.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, well done i say Peter, you not doing anyone any harm, helping the farmer save his crop, and a good response from Cheshire police

👍

Edited by PeterHenry
Spelling / phrasing / etc