Reservists to be called up

welsh1

8 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Apache helo's (Wattisham base) been Play'n hide n seek in Suffolk at night this week for the first time in a while. Stars  look bright on these clear frosty nights. Air defiantly smells different to me.

They joys of living close to Wattisham?

I woke one night thinking we was having an earthquake! I swear to god the whole room, the bed even the air was thumping. Whacked the window open and there was a Chinook 125/150 yards max above the house. 

The appache's are frequently over when I'm on the perms. My excuse for the lack of pigeon in the bag anyway. 

15 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

They joys of living close to Wattisham?

I woke one night thinking we was having an earthquake! I swear to god the whole room, the bed even the air was thumping. Whacked the window open and there was a Chinook 125/150 yards max above the house. 

The appache's are frequently over when I'm on the perms. My excuse for the lack of pigeon in the bag anyway. 

Very True! Yeah the joys of. Had the same mainly with apache's. seems worse at night. They don't seem to come out to play until after 9pm. Shallow valley at back of mine they always seem to use. Rattle windows and doors at times. Seem to feel as well as hear that sound thumping in ya chest/head. Sound different at times. I was told that because they can change angle of rota blades? Had the same when i have been in the field/hide. first one then others come find you. Police helo used to be the same. To often to be a coincidence i say?😉 To the point i thought they must recognise me/my vehicle. Perfect target for practising tho ant we. Same areas/stand out/or not when we in hide. Scare the carp out of ya at times! Can help move pigeons about tho .:lol: It like they clock ya truck then come looking sometimes? When i have asked them if that what they doing/using us for they just smile and say nowt. And surely they have to get permission off land owners/farmers? Because i have seen them touch down and lift at times. Seen them hovering in valleys minutes at a time and hide behind woods. Static hover. Poping up down again, go round and doing it again. . . . . . Not as bad a when we had loads phantoms screaming about though. Scared the carp outa me as a kid the few times they cracked the sound barrier. And i am sure i can remember them A10's  canons cracking off practice rounds to?             NB

15 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Very True! Yeah the joys of. Had the same mainly with apache's. seems worse at night. They don't seem to come out to play until after 9pm. Shallow valley at back of mine they always seem to use. Rattle windows and doors at times. Seem to feel as well as hear that sound thumping in ya chest/head. Sound different at times. I was told that because they can change angle of rota blades? Had the same when i have been in the field/hide. first one then others come find you. Police helo used to be the same. To often to be a coincidence i say?😉 To the point i thought they must recognise me/my vehicle. Perfect target for practising tho ant we. Same areas/stand out/or not when we in hide. Scare the carp out of ya at times! Can help move pigeons about tho . It like they clock ya truck then come looking sometimes? When i have asked them if that what they doing/using us for they just smile and say nowt. And surely they have to get permission off land owners/farmers? Because i have seen them touch down and lift at times. Seen them hovering in valleys minutes at a time and hide behind woods. Static hover. Poping up down again, go round and doing it again. . . . . . Not as bad a when we had loads phantoms screaming about though. Scared the carp outa me as a kid the few times they cracked the sound barrier. And i am sure i can remember them A10's  canons cracking off practice rounds to?             NB

To be honest I do quite enjoy watching them do their manoeuvre's it's the night time ones that aren't so pleasant. I was once told the was a minimum height of a 1000ft for aircraft and that came from a pilot but as they are MOD maybe it doesn't apply? Maybe the same goes for them landing?

I always imagine them saying between themselves 'oh look, there's that Berk in he's camo gear again' 😂

The phantoms are a bit before my time but my old man had told me about when they were in their late teams him and hes mates used to stand at the end of the runway at Bentwaters and watch the planes take off. Google says A10' were based their till 1993. 

Reckoned the noise was unbelievable.

16 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

remember them A10's  canons cracking off practice rounds

That would be something to see.

16 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

like they clock ya truck then come looking sometimes? When i have asked them if that what they doing/using us for they just smile and say now

Good training looking for someone who is hiding. 

The ******* done that to me once at Colchester.
I was laying on some high ground in full camo taking rabbits on a livery, when a military chopper obviously spotted me.
For the next hour I was subject to what I suspect were practice strafing runs.
I would disappear, pop back in different positions and buzz me.
To be honest I didn't mind as the rabbits were  on the quiet side, but it was a little unsettling.
I suspect for them I was a perfect target, a camo clad bloke laying prone with a rifle.

Do he think he'l be on street TC, Or backing up other services? More apache's  been playing round my way again today. Just like they do before being deployed abroad. They spooked some pigeons a farmer hadn't seen on his drillings. He just rang me and asked if i will go tomorrow. Should be OK he part of the linked Farm watch network. It in the middle of  nowhere a coursing area and  strangely on an old airfield. Could be interesting if apaches about again.😉           NB

6 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Do he think he'l be on street TC, Or backing up other services? More apache's  been playing round my way again today. Just like they do before being deployed abroad. They spooked some pigeons a farmer hadn't seen on his drillings. He just rang me and asked if i will go tomorrow. Should be OK he part of the linked Farm watch network. It in the middle of  nowhere a coursing area and  strangely on an old airfield. Could be interesting if apaches about again.😉           NB

Not worried where he will be doing his bit, he's extremely keen to get stuck in.

Just as Matt Hancock strengthens the lockdown!

8 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

To be honest I do quite enjoy watching them do their manoeuvre's it's the night time ones that aren't so pleasant. I was once told the was a minimum height of a 1000ft for aircraft and that came from a pilot but as they are MOD maybe it doesn't apply? Maybe the same goes for them landing?

I always imagine them saying between themselves 'oh look, there's that Berk in he's camo gear again' 😂

The phantoms are a bit before my time but my old man had told me about when they were in their late teams him and hes mates used to stand at the end of the runway at Bentwaters and watch the planes take off. Google says A10' were based their till 1993. 

Reckoned the noise was unbelievable.

Same here. a part from when i am up a ladder reaching for the top of a gable and they buzz me. Seem louder, lower and they linger more at night! Looked it up, it's lower, only 275ft for fixed wing. That's Dave Carrie territory, and some on here. :lol: Helo's is ceiling to ground any time. So many bases local, have grown up with there antics. Amusing to see strangers/incomers unnerved  by them. . . . . My dad said it was amazing to see the hundreds of bombers forming up over head round here during the war when there were more airfields!

Yeah i bet they have fun winding us up. I have had them nod at me when they done.

Bentwaters was always busy back then. I done the same as ya dad. Hell of a buzz! Had some good times in Rendlesham and Tunstal forest in my youth. Some good parties with the yanks to.   NB

8 hours ago, Andy 01 said:

The ******* done that to me once at Colchester.
I was laying on some high ground in full camo taking rabbits on a livery, when a military chopper obviously spotted me.
For the next hour I was subject to what I suspect were practice strafing runs.
I would disappear, pop back in different positions and buzz me.
To be honest I didn't mind as the rabbits were  on the quiet side, but it was a little unsettling.
I suspect for them I was a perfect target, a camo clad bloke laying prone with a rifle.

Glad it ant just me and Farmboy it's happened to! 😉 Like you say we perfect targets. Trucks and concealed  gunmen.    NB

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

That would be something to see.

Good training looking for someone who is hiding. 

1 hour ago, NatureBoy said:

Same here. a part from when i am up a ladder reaching for the top of a gable and they buzz me. Seem louder, lower and they linger more at night! Looked it up, it's lower, only 275ft for fixed wing. That's Dave Carrie territory, and some on here. :lol: Helo's is ceiling to ground any time. So many bases local, have grown up with there antics. Amusing to see strangers/incomers unnerved  by them. . . . . My dad said it was amazing to see the hundreds of bombers forming up over head round here during the war when there were more airfields!

Yeah i bet they have fun winding us up. I have had them nod at me when they done.

Bentwaters was always busy back then. I done the same as ya dad. Hell of a buzz! Had some good times in Rendlesham and Tunstal forest in my youth. Some good parties with the yanks to.   NB

An Apache did come over earlier but it clearly wasn't interested in me or the ride on lol.

I didn't realise it was that low, there's a bloke who lives a couple miles over the fields with a light aircraft, I just assumed it was so low because he was taking off/landing. But yeah good thing there are no high bird shoots close by 😂

I can imagine around ww2 that would have been an awesome sight!

I'd have loved to stood at the end of that runway, last time I went there it was for a run what ya brung drag day. The old man still has a pretty good time round there hacking along the green lanes lol.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

My eldest Son is now being paid a retainer and expects to move on Tuesday.

Hope he stays safe mate, my Son has been training 6000 troops in the basics of arrest and restraint techniques, and last Friday developed a cough, lucky enough it's not developing into anything worse, looks like a lot of the Army is going to be busy in the coming weeks.

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

An Apache did come over earlier but it clearly wasn't interested in me or the ride on lol.

I didn't realise it was that low, there's a bloke who lives a couple miles over the fields with a light aircraft, I just assumed it was so low because he was taking off/landing. But yeah good thing there are no high bird shoots close by 😂

I can imagine around ww2 that would have been an awesome sight!

I'd have loved to stood at the end of that runway, last time I went there it was for a run what ya brung drag day. The old man still has a pretty good time round there hacking along the green lanes lol.

They been real busy day and night all week. guess it all night vision and thermal now.  . . . . Awesome but scary! Both my mum and dad got shot at by German  aircraft hedge hopping  just off the deck after attacking airfields and the industrial midlands. Imagine that as a young kid. They said it was sad to see some of our and yank bombers limping back all shot up barely able to keep flying. Plenty didn't make the airfields as they tried to land. Yanks took a big hit doing that mass daytime bombing. Not much more than kids themselves.

When did you go Run What Ya Brung? What did you run? Shame they stopped them. Run my Harley there one year. Got a little bit scary when it started shaking it's head. Can't remember what year. Still got timing slip somewhere. Mates used to run some crazy bikes.       NB

1 hour ago, NatureBoy said:

They been real busy day and night all week. guess it all night vision and thermal now.  . . . . Awesome but scary! Both my mum and dad got shot at by German  aircraft hedge hopping  just off the deck after attacking airfields and the industrial midlands. Imagine that as a young kid. They said it was sad to see some of our and yank bombers limping back all shot up barely able to keep flying. Plenty didn't make the airfields as they tried to land. Yanks took a big hit doing that mass daytime bombing. Not much more than kids themselves.

When did you go Run What Ya Brung? What did you run? Shame they stopped them. Run my Harley there one year. Got a little bit scary when it started shaking it's head. Can't remember what year. Still got timing slip somewhere. Mates used to run some crazy bikes.       NB

Yeah I suppose they will be now, I remember my nan telling me she being evacuated any picking up bits off the plane and ordinance etc, different times eh?

I can imagine it being a pretty sad site, might have been a different story had they took the RAF'S advice.

It must have been about 4/5 years ago now, I was driving an Alfa 159 1750t at the time but didn't take it down the runway, it was something called drag burner or strip burner I think, there used to be a white transit with it printed on that used to drive about round here. 

Love the sound of a Harley, bloke I worked with from Haughley used to ride them. Just that sound on tick over 😍 I can imagine it being an experience hossin one of them down that runway 😂 

The back of my house has a beck, one afternoon a tornado came past, he was just above the trees so about 70-80 feet. I could see every detail on the jet.  This continued most days for about a week before stopping. A friend in the raf said they were from a research and testing squadron in Norfolk. My neigh bour was in the his garden for the first one and we spoke about it, he said it was between him and my house so my estimate would be about right on the height. 

Once pigeon shooting I was telling another friend about an Apache that buzzed me the week earlier and how low it was. He thought I was pulling his leg until an Apache came over the wood and dropped down a bit more. Flew straight over. Quite a scary machine when its coming right at you.