Shot landing

30 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Happens more often than we probably realise.  Had a situation where I was just checking zero on my deer rifle, totally safe background,  been shooting an occasional shot for zero there for 25yrs. I don't waste bullets on paper so if the first one is OK that's it done.  So very rarely more than two shots.  Farmer had a call from a neighbour 3/4 mile away and 90 degs to where I was shooting, to say bullets where hitting her fence which was impossible.  Fortunately the farmer was savvy and asked was it an echo from the woodside perhaps.   The neighbour fortunately then agreed that was what had been heard.   So the claim doesn't necessarily have to be malicious but just uninformed.

Good point, and I have had similar. Which is why I raised the question.

I was accused of raining shot on a bloke (who I have regular run ins with.) While he was eating his breakfast. Apparently he had caught some in his cornflake bowl. 

I had been shooting but at first light, so maybe two hours before he was even awake and I had been rabbiting, in a different direction nearly a kilometer away. 

He came to my house ranting and raving and I told him why it was impossible. I asked him to show me the shot he had found in his cornflakes and he told me he would be showing it to the police. 

I never got a visit or a phone call from the police. 

Most of my deer stalking is around houses etc but I have met or introduced myself to the owners so hopefully the situation won't raise itself there. 

35 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Good point, and I have had similar. Which is why I raised the question.

I was accused of raining shot on a bloke (who I have regular run ins with.) While he was eating his breakfast. Apparently he had caught some in his cornflake bowl. 

I had been shooting but at first light, so maybe two hours before he was even awake and I had been rabbiting, in a different direction nearly a kilometer away. 

He came to my house ranting and raving and I told him why it was impossible. I asked him to show me the shot he had found in his cornflakes and he told me he would be showing it to the police. 

I never got a visit or a phone call from the police. 

Most of my deer stalking is around houses etc but I have met or introduced myself to the owners so hopefully the situation won't raise itself there. 

I hope you wrote it all down at the time so you have contemporary notes for any any future harassment issues.

When I was about 14 I had a woman from 150 yards down the street come to our door complaining an air gun pellet had hit her washing. She had the pellet in her hand. Every kid in the street had an air gun, so I told her it wasn’t my pellet. She insisted it was and when she showed me the .177 I was happy to show her one of my .22’s. That baffled her.

A friend of mine was driving his car down a lane when his side window disintegrated, 'popped' was how he described the noise. He thought it was caused by the bodywork flexing because it was a convertible sports car. However when they were clearing the glass pieces out of the floor well they found a piece of a .22 bullet, still perfectly identifiable.

What was that? somebody's ricochet I would guess 

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

A friend of mine was driving his car down a lane when his side window disintegrated, 'popped' was how he described the noise. He thought it was caused by the bodywork flexing because it was a convertible sports car. However when they were clearing the glass pieces out of the floor well they found a piece of a .22 bullet, still perfectly identifiable.

What was that? somebody's ricochet I would guess 

or just a stupid carelss shot by someone.

On 24/04/2020 at 22:38, Vince Green said:

Why would anyone want to get into this area of conflict? just don't be an idiot, least said soonest mended

Yep, here a while ago an ART rocked up while I was out front with our dog, in chatting they acknowledged that all holders in the area had been flagged up as someone had reported that a pigeon had been popped at off their TV aerial. 

3 hours ago, old man said:

Yep, here a while ago an ART rocked up while I was out front with our dog, in chatting they acknowledged that all holders in the area had been flagged up as someone had reported that a pigeon had been popped at off their TV aerial. 

Those folding 410s are so useful to hide down your trouser leg aren't they:yay: