Mask the Scots?

harkom

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

Thought you were off to Aldi 😜

I could imagine the panic in store, however social distancing would not be a problem. I can foresee a very expeditious checkout with my several packs of Budweiser and lime cordial. 😁

38 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Thank you.

You are welcome Lancer.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, henry d said:

That is for respirators, see top left

Yes i saw that too, but its from here and clearly says masks.

Coronavirus: CDC photo shows facial hairstyles that work best with masks

Graphic shows list of mustaches and beards to not make the cut

A photo from the Centers for Disease Control shows the list of hairstyles that work with face masks and respirators. A photo from the Centers for Disease Control shows the list of hairstyles that work with face masks and respirators. (CDC)

A photo from the Centers for Disease Control shows the list of hairstyles that work with face masks and respirators.

CBS News recently reported they have spotted people wearing face masks at airports in the United States amid the Coronavirus scare.

The report shows wearing the mask is not that helpful in preventing yourself from getting sick.

It is more geared for people who are already sick and preventing them from spreading whatever virus they have, according to the CBS news report.

The photo below shows which hairstyles, mustaches, and beards to work with face masks.

A photo from the Centers for Disease Control shows the list of hairstyles that work with face masks and respirators. A photo from the Centers for Disease Control shows the list of hairstyles that work with face masks and respirators. (CDC)

Soul patch, zorro, and pencil all made the cut. Stubble, goatee and mutton chops did not make the cut.

Fourteen cases of Coronavirus have been confirmed in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC said twelve of the cases were travel-related and two of the cases were person-to-person spread.

Health officials said 445 people in the country were tested for coronavirus this year.

The virus is not currently spreading in the United States, according to the CDC.

The immediate health risk for the virus is considered low in the U.S., according to the CDC.

The CDC said any traveler should avoid nonessential travel in China and South Korea.

Health officials said travelers should practice enhanced precautions for Japan, Iran, Italy, and Hong Kong.

The CDC wants to remind everyone it is still flu season. Officials encourage everyone to get a flu vaccine.

Health officials are also asking healthcare providers to look out for people who recently traveled from China who have fever symptoms.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2020/02/27/cdc-photo-shows-list-of-hairstyles-to-work-with-face-masks-and-respirators/

Edited by lancer425

16 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Yes i saw that too, but its from here and clearly says masks.

Coronavirus: CDC photo shows facial hairstyles that work best with masks

Graphic shows list of mustaches and beards to not make the cut

A photo from the Centers for Disease Control shows the list of hairstyles that work with face masks and respirators.

CBS News recently reported they have spotted people wearing face masks at airports in the United States amid the Coronavirus scare.

The report shows wearing the mask is not that helpful in preventing yourself from getting sick.

It is more geared for people who are already sick and preventing them from spreading whatever virus they have, according to the CBS news report.

The photo below shows which hairstyles, mustaches, and beards to work with face masks.

Soul patch, zorro, and pencil all made the cut. Stubble, goatee and mutton chops did not make the cut.

Fourteen cases of Coronavirus have been confirmed in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC said twelve of the cases were travel-related and two of the cases were person-to-person spread.

Health officials said 445 people in the country were tested for coronavirus this year.

The virus is not currently spreading in the United States, according to the CDC.

The immediate health risk for the virus is considered low in the U.S., according to the CDC.

The CDC said any traveler should avoid nonessential travel in China and South Korea.

Health officials said travelers should practice enhanced precautions for Japan, Iran, Italy, and Hong Kong.

The CDC wants to remind everyone it is still flu season. Officials encourage everyone to get a flu vaccine.

Health officials are also asking healthcare providers to look out for people who recently traveled from China who have fever symptoms.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2020/02/27/cdc-photo-shows-list-of-hairstyles-to-work-with-face-masks-and-respirators/

Facial shape also plays a large part in the fit testing of sealed facial masks despite being clean shaven. I have several colleagues who failed the fit testing at the first hurdle because of their facial shape. One colleague had x3 types of mask fitted and failed all of them. The procedure for aerosol generated mask fitting is not a pleasant one.

Firstly you are nil by mouth for 30 minutes then you have your head and shoulders covered by a huge head cover then a nasty bitter spray solution is directed into the mask and you are asked can you taste it. My reply was "too bloody right I can" .You are then given a drink of clear water then take a break for 30 minutes then the fit mask ffpe3 is donned and the larger head and shoulder covering mask is put over again. Then begins the 7 minutes of continuous breathing in and out, huffing and puffing whilst at intervals the fit tester (person who is trained fr the testing ,check suitability and risk assess the fitting of the ppe) sprays the foul solution into the large head mask. If you taste it at any stage you have failed the fit testing. Finally at the end if you have not been able to taste the mask is then lifted and the spray applied again. I got an immediate foul taste again which  appeared to make the tester very happy. 🤢

For every use the user is required to carry out a self fit test which is blowing sharply with a high expired lung force and feeling at the edges of the mask for leakage, any leakage and the mask needs readjusting. I have never been so clean shaven in all my life.

The ppe is essential for limiting risks of cross infection for both the patient and clinician, uncomfortable to wear and I get out of breath quite easy when talking. For the poor patients it can be extremely daunting and frightening especially when dealing with babies , infants and children. On the front of my new head mask I have my name printed which puts people a little more at ease , it is more interpersonal as they can barely see any facial features when all ppe is donned.

3 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Facial shape also plays a large part in the fit testing of sealed facial masks despite being clean shaven. I have several colleagues who failed the fit testing at the first hurdle because of their facial shape. One colleague had x3 types of mask fitted and failed all of them. The procedure for aerosol generated mask fitting is not a pleasant one.

Firstly you are nil by mouth for 30 minutes then you have your head and shoulders covered by a huge head cover then a nasty bitter spray solution is directed into the mask and you are asked can you taste it. My reply was "too bloody right I can" .You are then given a drink of clear water then take a break for 30 minutes then the fit mask ffpe3 is donned and the larger head and shoulder covering mask is put over again. Then begins the 7 minutes of continuous breathing in and out, huffing and puffing whilst at intervals the fit tester (person who is trained fr the testing ,check suitability and risk assess the fitting of the ppe) sprays the foul solution into the large head mask. If you taste it at any stage you have failed the fit testing. Finally at the end if you have not been able to taste the mask is then lifted and the spray applied again. I got an immediate foul taste again which  appeared to make the tester very happy. 🤢

For every use the user is required to carry out a self fit test which is blowing sharply with a high expired lung force and feeling at the edges of the mask for leakage, any leakage and the mask needs readjusting. I have never been so clean shaven in all my life.

The ppe is essential for limiting risks of cross infection for both the patient and clinician, uncomfortable to wear and I get out of breath quite easy when talking. For the poor patients it can be extremely daunting and frightening especially when dealing with babies , infants and children. On the front of my new head mask I have my name printed which puts people a little more at ease , it is more interpersonal as they can barely see any facial features when all ppe is donned.

I mean this  god bless you.   I just got no idea what you folk are doing everyday. but thank God your there.

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

Yes i saw that too, but its from here and clearly says masks

And that is all part of the problem, a surgical mask which looks like a flat piece of cloth with pleats is great for stopping the wearer from exhaling, coughing or sneezing droplets onto someone else and facial hair has little effect as the mask has no seal against the face. Respirators, the cup shaped face cover, are the reverse as they are to stop the wearer from inhaling droplets from someone else and facial hair has a lot to do with it. Most people are generally ignorant of the difference so those in charge should be a lot more specific in what they are trying to do and the reason why they are doing it and inform the public fully. Mask, respirator, snood, muff, or even a hanky and elastic bands have been mentioned, but little on whether we are to be stopping the spread, as opposed to minimising the possibility of getting C19

34 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

got an immediate foul taste again which  appeared to make the tester very happy. 🤢

And this is why I'm glad I don't have to wear a fit tested mask in work,  never mind having to shave every day. 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

7daysinaweek - I doff my cap to you.

No Doffing required Gordon, but thank you. atb 👍

2 hours ago, henry d said:

And that is all part of the problem, a surgical mask which looks like a flat piece of cloth with pleats is great for stopping the wearer from exhaling, coughing or sneezing droplets onto someone else and facial hair has little effect as the mask has no seal against the face. ( 10.1 and see my prevoius posts) Respirators, the cup shaped face cover, are the reverse as they are to stop the wearer from inhaling droplets from someone else and facial hair has a lot to do with it. Most people are generally ignorant of the difference so those in charge should be a lot more specific in what they are trying to do and the reason why they are doing it and inform the public fully. Mask, respirator, snood, muff, or even a hanky and elastic bands have been mentioned, but little on whether (9) we are to be stopping the spread, as opposed to minimising the possibility of getting C19

Continual wearing of gloves increases cross contamination transmission and increase in viral particle accumulative load build up on the gloves. Standard surgical masks need to cover both mouth and nose. Increased risk of contamination to self and others.

I do agree on many points. I see members of the public who choose to wear ppe every day on my way into and out of work wearing all manner of ppe Quackery, I see many wearing masks that are incorrectly worn,  hanging round necks, ears, not covering nose, inside out, dirty and wet, lots of hand/glove to mouth increasing risks for all from a high incidence of Fomite vector transmission of virus for the wider population.

Social distancing, excellent hand hygiene measures have a central role, if someone uses a facial mask it may give some level of protection to others however if it is not worn correctly it is also contributing to the risks of infection. If self measures are to be used they need the public to make well informed decisions on use and educated. Telling all and sundry that they can put a mask on of sorts and all types may lead to lax widespread and inadvertent carelessness as other measures take second fiddle.

I await the further science!

Hope this helps henry

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-infection-prevention-and-control/covid-19-personal-protective-equipment-ppe

9. Patient use of PPE ( standard surgical face mask)

In clinical areas, communal waiting areas and during transportation, it is recommended that possible or confirmed COVID-19 cases wear a surgical face mask if this can be tolerated. The aim of this is to minimise the dispersal of respiratory secretions, reduce both direct transmission risk and environmental contamination.

A face mask should not be worn by patients if there is potential for their clinical care to be compromised (for example, when receiving oxygen therapy via a mask). A face mask can be worn until damp or uncomfortable.

10.1 Filtering face piece class 3 (FFP3) respirators (for use in clinical areas)

Respirators are used to prevent inhalation of small airborne particles arising from AGPs.

All respirators should:

• be well fitted, covering both nose and mouth
  • not be allowed to dangle around the neck of the wearer after or between each use
  • not be touched once put on
  • be removed outside the patient room or cohort area or COVID-19 ward

Respirators can be single use or single session use (disposable) and fluid-resistant. Note that valved respirators are not fully fluid-resistant unless they are also ‘shrouded’. Valved, non-shrouded FFP3 respirators are not considered to be fluid resistant and therefore should be worn with a full face shield if blood or body fluid splashing is anticipated.

FFP3 respirators filter at least 99% of airborne particles. The HSE states that all staff who are required to wear an FFP3 respirator must be fit tested for the relevant model to ensure an adequate seal or fit (according to the manufacturers’ guidance). Fit checking (according to the manufacturers’ guidance) is necessary when a respirator is donned to ensure an adequate seal has been achieved.

Further information regarding fitting and fit checking of respirators can be found on the Health and Safety Executive website.

It is also important to ensure that facial hair does not cross the respirator sealing surface and if the respirator has an exhalation valve, hair within the sealed mask area should not impinge upon or contact the valve. See the Facial hair and FFP3 respirators guide.

Respirators should be compatible with other facial protection used (protective eyewear) so that this does not interfere with the seal of the respiratory protection.

Respirators are for single use or single session use (section 6) and then are to be discarded as healthcare (clinical) waste (hand hygiene must always be performed after disposal) or if re-usable cleaned accorded manufacturer’s instructions. It is important that the respirator maintains its fit, function and remains tolerable for the user.

The respirator should be discarded and replaced and NOT be subject to continued use in any of the following circumstances:

• is damaged
  • is soiled (for example, with secretions, body fluids)
  • is damp
  • facial seal is compromised
  • is uncomfortable
  • is difficult to breathe through

The manufacturers’ guidance should be followed in regard to the maximum duration of use.

The HSE has stated that FFP2 and N95 respirators (filtering at least 94% and 95% of airborne particles respectively) offer protection against COVID-19 and may be used if FFP3 respirators are not available.

Other respirators can be utilised by individuals if they comply with HSE recommendations. Reusable respirators should be cleaned according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

10.2 Fluid resistant surgical masks (this is they type that most of the public are wearing)

Fluid-resistant (Type IIR) surgical masks (FRSM) provide barrier protection against respiratory droplets reaching the mucosa of the mouth and nose. FRSMs should be well fitted and subject to the same level of care in use as respirators (section 10.1).

FRSMs are for single use or single session use (section 6) and then must be discarded. The FRSM should be discarded and replaced and NOT be subject to continued use in any of the circumstances outlined for respirators (section 10.1).

The protective effect of masks against severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and other respiratory viral infections has been well established. There is no evidence that respirators add value over FRSMs for droplet protection when both are used with recommended wider PPE measures in clinical care, except in the context of AGPs.

Surgical masks should:

• cover both nose and mouth
  • not be allowed to dangle around the neck after or between each use
  • not be touched once put on
  • be changed when they become moist or damaged
  • be worn once and then discarded – hand hygiene must be performed after disposal
Edited by 7daysinaweek

One of the reasons for not recommending face masks was to prevent the inevitable panic-buying that would follow, leaving stocks available for the NHS, care homes and those with a more pressing demand. Wee Jimmy has now spat in the face of that, and it was on the radio that suppliers are gearing up for a PPE Black Friday. Some suppliers may show integrity and hold their stocks back, but I reckon a fair few will ramp up the price for the plebs.

Many folk will just buy what they can, regardless of efficacy. Thanks to the wonderful font of all knowledge that is the Internet, many will know the EXACT specification of the masks they require to comply with all the strictest NHS front-line guidelines and that will only do for them! If we see a PPE shortage round 2, will Sturgeon stand up and apologise for her part in it?