Mask the Scots?

harkom

I think a mask will help , but at my time of life nearly 60 im thinking what will be will be ?. but my generation may have built up some immunity as  youngsters we played outside got dirty ect 

Maybe we will be no better than the snowflakes who wear double masks and gloves  , but it gets me by at work 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, harkom said:

Well , I may be out of order on this, but having just heard on radio news that wee Jimmie Krankie, aka N Sturgeon, has recommended/advised (if not actually ordered - as her position as  " First Minister"🙄) the wearing of face masks,-----may I suggest that she be fitted with a soundproof, and airtight head bag? 

Should have had one fitted years ago. 

As has been said it is a recommendation. Science has said there is no definitive evidence either way which it is why not an order. One of the concerns is actually increasing potential problems touching your face to put it on and off before you have washed your hands. You really need to wash your hands, put it on before you go out and not touch it or your face until you are back home and have washed again. It will not protect you only others.

I am undecided if I shall wear one as I only have one old dust mask but I guess it is better than nothing.

As to NS I am no lover of her politics but that aside I don’t think she has done much wrong to date.

“New guidance suggests there may be some evidence to coverings such as scarves in enclosed spaces .But Nicola Sturgeon said the coverings were not being made mandatory due to the relatively weak evidence around them””

”Physical distancing, hand washing and respiratory hygiene are the most important and effective measures we can all adopt to prevent the spread of corona virus”

”there may be some benefit in wearing a facial covering when........you enter enclosed spaces, especially where physical distancing is more difficult”

” examples include travelling on public transport or entering a food shop where it is not always possible to maintain a two metre distance from another customer”

”There is no evidence to suggest there might be a benefit outdoors”

”when applying or removing the covering it is important that you you wash your hands first and avoid touching your face “

“After each use you must wash the face covering at 60 degrees centigrade or dispose of safely”

Quotes from Scottish Government’s  statement it seems the original poster is prone to confirmation bias when he reads.

Edited by Konor
Clarification

1 hour ago, peck said:

If it stops particles from being ejected when someone coughs those particles are under pressure from the act of coughing, why would it not stop particles from being inhaled that are not under pressure.

They may stop particles from being inhaled but won’t stop them entering the body through the eyes

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

Two things about masks. They help  stop people who are carrying the virus from coughing it onto surfaces. They put you off touching your own face inadvertently. So I suppose they're helpful.

They say they increase the touching of your face. Obviously you put it on and off then the increased irritation/annoyance of something unnatural to you, caused by wearing it means you tend to scratch or adjust the mask.

But if it helps folk feel like they’re doing something, good on them

From what I've witnessed recently... I wonder if the bloke who drove past me alone in his car wearing a face mask thought he was saving anyone from C19 by doing so?  Or the cyclist that went past shortly afterwards also wearing a medical-type mask?  Or the woman who wore the same pair of surgical gloves all the way from getting out of her car, around the supermarket, then back into her car and drove off without removing them?

As usual, the great unwashed are doing a sterling job of showing the human race to be as dumb as a pile of dung.  We're a disgrace to the process of evolution, we really are!

53 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

From what I've witnessed recently... I wonder if the bloke who drove past me alone in his car wearing a face mask thought he was saving anyone from C19 by doing so?  Or the cyclist that went past shortly afterwards also wearing a medical-type mask?  Or the woman who wore the same pair of surgical gloves all the way from getting out of her car, around the supermarket, then back into her car and drove off without removing them?

As usual, the great unwashed are doing a sterling job of showing the human race to be as dumb as a pile of dung.  We're a disgrace to the process of evolution, we really are!

Watched a similar thing last time I got fuel, watched a bloke pull up wearing gloves, get out of he's car and put the keys in he's pocket. He then proceeded to used the cash point, pull the keys back out of he's pocket and get back into the car and drive off, still wearing those same gloves. 

Makes my brain hurt watching lol

6 hours ago, lancer425 said:

She is sad all right, with a capital S..

Could you back that up with some quotes as I fail to see any sign of “ sadness” shown in the Scottish governments statement  which is the focus of this thread. In fact the sensible points made on this thread have been covered in the statement.
These generalisations  criticising Nicola Sturgeon are a sad reflection on PW members if the last Scottish government statement is the cause of the criticism,.

Did anyone actually read the statement before wading in ? Because it does not read like it . 

10 hours ago, peck said:

If it stops particles from being ejected when someone coughs those particles are under pressure from the act of coughing, why would it not stop particles from being inhaled that are not under pressure.

Fit is important, there can be NO gaps or the particles can get in. I would ask anyone if they would be happy to remove asbestos wearing that mask then it would probably be ok for close contact with virus carriers. 

I've seen several people while we have been out walking or shopping with masks covering their mouth but not the nose! I've seen scarves and snoods worn and people constantly pulling them up and fiddling with them! I'm more likely to catch this if I am not careful with hand hygiene and touch my face.

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, well lets just say if Scotland eased the lockdown and people could return to a more social life but still do the 2 mtr distancing without wearing a  mask would there be a rise in people catching covid 19 ???? 

If you read the statement you will see that face covering is being advised only where the likelihood of not being able to keep to social distancing is high eg on public transport or when in a shop. 

1 minute ago, Konor said:

If you read the statement you will see that face covering is being advised only where the likelihood of not being able to keep to social distancing is high eg on public transport or when in a shop. 

hello, i think that is a good idea but still believe it should be directed at other social activities or say working on a building site

3 minutes ago, henry d said:

Fit is important, there can be NO gaps or the particles can get in. I would ask anyone if they would be happy to remove asbestos wearing that mask then it would probably be ok for close contact with virus carriers. 

I've seen several people while we have been out walking or shopping with masks covering their mouth but not the nose! I've seen scarves and snoods worn and people constantly pulling them up and fiddling with them! I'm more likely to catch this if I am not careful with hand hygiene and touch my face.

The face mask or covering,'s aim is not to protect the wearer but to decrease spread of the virus from the wearer. 

Anyone familiar with the NBC drills carried out in the 1970s on will be aware of the potential shortcomings of respirators, never mind the inadequacy of personal protection from a non fitted paper mask

3 minutes ago, Docleo said:

I think it ig a good advice. Will it stop the spreading? No. But it could help. So why someone is reacting that bad is difficult to understand. Probably Sad.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800?query=featured_home#article_citing_articles

hello, i see you come from a country that is having the worst of the Epidemic, most people i see on the news in Italy are wearing masks, reacting sad is better than dying

30 minutes ago, Konor said:

The face mask or covering,'s aim is not to protect the wearer but to decrease spread of the virus from the wearer. 

Anyone familiar with the NBC drills carried out in the 1970s on will be aware of the potential shortcomings of respirators, never mind the inadequacy of personal protection from a non fitted paper mask

Absolutely, but the majority of people think it is the reverse, like the NBCD you mentioned which was to protect the wearer. People are generally unaware of the potential danger of masks and gloves as they become invulnerable, whereas they have the potential to spread the virus even further.

If it is so helpful then the population needs to learn how to disinfect and disrobe correctly, I can't see that happening.

Edited by henry d

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i see you come from a country that is having the worst of the Epidemic, most people i see on the news in Italy are wearing masks, reacting sad is better than dying

Sad is the nonsense attack to NS, who advised wearing masks when social distancing is not possible.

I completely agree in wearing masks as it would reduce the risks.

I think this will be the way forward once the lockdown will be "over". 

Edited by Docleo

I had to go to hospital yesterday to see doc about a operation I will be having after lock down.

I took masks and hand sanitizer with me got in the department where I had to be the nurses there where NOT wearing masks I asked them if I need mine was told just to us sanitizer so who is right do you need to wear them or not

3 minutes ago, Docleo said:

Sad is the nonsense attack to NS, who advised wearing masks when social distancing is not possible.

I completely agree in wearing masks as it would reduce the risks.

I think this will be the way forward once the lockdown will be "over". 

hello, i agree if it saves 1 life then it has to be part of some restrictions  being lifted

There are so many pros and cons to face mask use so I think it's down to the individual  and that is where the decision should be left .

As far as wee Jimmy is concerned she was also asked on the Andrew Marr show shortly after her face mask announcement ,if closing the border with England was a consideration. She replied, she did not have the power to do so . Tells you all you need to know about her.

12 hours ago, harkom said:

Well , I may be out of order on this, but having just heard on radio news that wee Jimmie Krankie, aka N Sturgeon, has recommended/advised (if not actually ordered - as her position as  " First Minister"🙄) the wearing of face masks,-----may I suggest that she be fitted with a soundproof, and airtight head bag? 

This has got to be the most sensible thing I have ever heard her say.