So now the truth is starting to emerge

Vince Green

Can't read all the article but in the time frame mentioned here the UK policy was mainly one of herd immunity.

Given that the R0 during this period was also high then presumably this means lots of other people got infected which suggests fatality rate is lower than official number.

I might be missing the point but this seems to be one of the contributing factors to UK reaching world class status in COVID deaths but I have no idea what the overall weighting / contributing factor would be...

Bit sensationalist because the figures presume that everyone of the 20,000 were infected. However even if only one is infected that starts the cascade and the epidemic gets momentum.  Having said all that, how many thousand entered the country illegally in the same period, I suspect thousands. You only need one of these to carry the disease. We know from last year about those unfortunate souls found dead in the truck in Essex.  We also know 2 other trucks in the same convoy made it and the occupants dispersed and vanished. One in the back of a container with it and the other fifty odd will also get it. 

So basically we are an open country which a significant amount of the world see as a destination of choice. What ever is out there will get in and there is little that we can do to prevent it. 

I’m addition to this, check out population density and ahem ‘ general health’ of each of those nations to see that Britain could have shut every single stable door, but it’s horse hadn’t just bolted, it was seen by a vet and put down.......

23 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Bit sensationalist because the figures presume that everyone of the 20,000 were infected.. 

No, if you read the whole article, what it is saying is that hundreds of thousands of people were allowed in from Spain, Italy, New York, China and Middle East even when the infection was climbing exponentially in those countries and we were behind them. No attempt was made to stop it even after concerns were being raised..

Counting backwards now, knowing more about the percentage of people that were infected in those countries somebody has worked out that of those hundreds of thousands of people allowed in 20,000 would probably have been infected

The thing is, the flights are still coming in today, a lot fewer people admittedly, but they are still just walking out of the airport unhindered.

Edited by Vince Green

17 minutes ago, REDINGTON said:

How many foxes do ya need in the chicken house before you admit they're the reason you have dead chickens everywhere.:hmm:

Can’t stop all the foxes, no matter how many you shoot.

You just have to accept your losses and keep going, if you fold then those relying on your chickens also fold and so on.... Hang on, that’s how the economy works - shut down parts and other subsidiary’s have no choice but to shut too.

Some weather a storm, yet others sink- best we can do is take the helm and use as many patches as we can until we get to port. If you want to sink then that’s fine, but don’t take my boat down too......

1 hour ago, REDINGTON said:

ok, you keep adding chickens,,, me,, I'll keep shooting foxes. 

lets hope the your  reasoning doesn't get applied to kiddie fiddlers.

Yep, enjoy shooting the foxes - there’s plenty of them and always will.

Net you coop, concrete then foundation, fence it bit they will still find a way in.

I will keep my chickens as they are more plentiful and multiply quicker than your foxes, which even with the loss of a few chickens, outnumbers these losses.

Where the monkies did you come up with child sexual abuse as a relationship to foxes n chickens.... but even then, your never going to stop it- every day unfortunately as the old ones dies off there are new ones replacing them. Diff discussion as to those motives and not for this thread!!!!!

1 hour ago, REDINGTON said:

ok, you keep adding chickens,,, me,, I'll keep shooting foxes. 

4 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Yep, enjoy shooting the foxes - there’s plenty of them and always will.

Net you coop, concrete then foundation, fence it bit they will still find a way in.

I will keep my chickens as they are more plentiful and multiply quicker than your foxes, which even with the loss of a few chickens, outnumbers these losses.

Why would the two need to be mutually exclusive? surely both can be done to assist in reducing the problem?

Edited by Deker
spelling

I was one of those arriving to the country from Spain during the stated period. I live in the UK, I am a UK national, born and bred here,worked here all my life and contributed to society over that time.  I went out to my place in Spain before this virus had hit the headlines, are you suggesting I should not have been allowed back home.

However I do agree that now UK and majority of other countries around the globe are in lockdown, flights should not be just allowed in as if nothing had happened. People have had ample opportunity to return by now so from now on I believe we need to tighten things up.

Edited by TRINITY

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

I was one of those arriving to the country from Spain during the stated period. I live in the UK, I am a UK national, born and bred here,worked here all my life and contributed to society over that time.  I went out to my place in Spain before this virus had hit the headlines, are you suggesting I should not have been allowed back home.

However I do agree that now UK and majority of other countries around the globe are in lockdown, flights should not be just allowed in as if nothing had happened. People have had ample opportunity to return by now so from now on I believe we need to tighten things up.

I thi k the isle of Man have had the right approach,  people didn't isolate on returning so they stopped people coming in,  then allowed people back but they had to stay in a hotel for two weeks at their expense,  harsh but protecting the other residents on the island. 

Did you isolate on your return? Were you told to isolate while flying or leaving the airport?

As a matter of interest got back about 3 weeks before country decided to lockdown. Got no advice. However I began self imposed self isolation about two weeks before government date. 

However I found it amazing that people were still leaving the country to go on holiday after lockdown had already started.

14 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

As a matter of interest got back about 3 weeks before country decided to lockdown. Got no advice. However I began self imposed self isolation about two weeks before government date. 

However I found it amazing that people were still leaving the country to go on holiday after lockdown had already started.

Cheers, I wondered if the airports were doing anything at the time.