Fans

fatchap

Due to lack of sleep over the last few days caused by this weather we are having, I decided to buy a couple of fans, one for the workshop (I now have power:yahoo:) the other for the living room where I am currently sleeping as its a few degrees cooler than the bedroom upstairs which is like an oven.

So bought a couple of Amazon Basics 20" oscillating fans, some assembly required. They arrived promptly nice quality, easily assembled but, and its a huge but, they are just too powerful, 3 speed settings with to be honest very little difference between them speed wise, No1 setting is like a small hurricane ripping through the room, paperwork blown off my desk and the fan was 6 foot away, and the noise, ever heard a Euro fighter powering up before take off? well this fan is not far short. I tried the other two settings and there is very little difference in speed, The wallpaper had started to peel at the edges, The flooring was beginning to lift sadly with the cat still attached. I switched it off and the living room was a scene of devastation my dog would have been proud of. I thought it must be faulty, so assembled the other one and tried it in my workshop, and that one is exactly the same, so I have a huge tidy up job to do before I can crack on with any work today. My neatly stacked and labeled wet and dry sheets are randomly deposited all over the place. Liners strewn everywhere. Ash from my forge was blown everywhere and thats outside. And that was just a couple of seconds burst before I switched it off. 

Anyway, great bit of kit if you have an aircraft hanger for example that needs a bit of ventilation, Not so great bit of kit in a 18x24 ft living room or 12X8 ft workshop, Will be contacting Amazon about sending them back and getting something a little more practical.

Edited by fatchap

I have had one of these for a couple of years; (Search on Amazon for "MYCARBON Desk Fan Quiet Cooling Fans Turbo 1800m³/h Electric Air Circulator Oscillating Fan Remote Control with ECO Mode for Table, Bedroom 9 inch ")

It works well - and is very quiet.  Downside was the cost, but it does have a remote and timer etc.

Fatchap any links to the fan please i am after something a little more powerful than what i currently have for the Mrs (for my benefit really) after her session on the pickled onions. 

thanks in advance. 

Edited by Dougy

I bought a fan not realising that the blades were made of ceramic fast a sleep one night lying on my side as nature intended I was awoken with several sharp severe pains in the rear on investigation the fan had disintegrated and deposited several sharp pieces of fan blade in my back side.