Flapper vs Magnet

george123456789

My advice is to go for the flapper, then if you really think you need it, get a whirly. I've said it many times before, but my whirly spends more time in my vehicle than in the field these days. Both devices can scare the birds ****less at times but I find the flapper works most of the time, provided it is set up in the right place. I set mine to flap about 8 times, with a delay of 20 seconds. Don't be scared to experiment, and remember the incoming pigeon might think your flapper is a pigeon about to take off, and it too will flare away.

i think you will find their both handy to have,but as some have said and will say about both,they will both work brill on their day,but will also scare some birds.last time out i used crow on flapper ,flapping all the time (no timer) and we shot 20 crows and 10 pigeons,some veared away ,some even landed before we saw them. had both pigeon and crow decoys out at same time.really does depend on day and birds,some spook easy some are really daft .if you can afford them,and dont mind carrying them ,get them . :good:

I've a cheap magnet that I use when I know I don't have to walk too far.

It was £50 including speed controller and battery and wing spreaders.

IMLE I've noticed a real increase in birds coming in .... sometimes straight for the rotary ..... some pigeons are trying to land right by the rotary not the main deeks......

If you can afford it, buy and try. I don't have a flapper so cannot comment on that but lightness would be attractive.

I got both a flaper and rotary from the site sponser for £100. i was told that the flapper didn't make much of a difference for pigeons so didn't use it for about a year. then this year i decided that i would try it, i found that the rotarty brings the birds in and i find the birds will then land next to the flapper, i also found the birds had a bit more confidence. so i think that they both work well together if u can get both, but if it is just one or the other i think you will be better off with a rotary.

good luck with the decision

charlie

Thanks for all the replies so far! I'm torn between the two as rotary's do seem more popular yet a flapper appeals to me as in the winter i would use it a lot for crow decoying by the farm yard, and im not sure if a pigeon magnet will work with crows on it as well as a flapper would. Anybody have any ideas about magnet vs flapper for crow decoying as well as pigeons?

Thanks, George

Thanks for all the replies so far! I'm torn between the two as rotary's do seem more popular yet a flapper appeals to me as in the winter i would use it a lot for crow decoying by the farm yard, and im not sure if a pigeon magnet will work with crows on it as well as a flapper would. Anybody have any ideas about magnet vs flapper for crow decoying as well as pigeons?

Thanks, George

have used the magnet on crows and it does work :good:

would not be without mine for the pigeons :)

My advice is to go for the flapper, then if you really think you need it, get a whirly. I've said it many times before, but my whirly spends more time in my vehicle than in the field these days. Both devices can scare the birds ****less at times but I find the flapper works most of the time, provided it is set up in the right place. I set mine to flap about 8 times, with a delay of 20 seconds. Don't be scared to experiment, and remember the incoming pigeon might think your flapper is a pigeon about to take off, and it too will flare away.

:good:

easier to up an move too

TP

i think you will find their both handy to have,but as some have said and will say about both,they will both work brill on their day,but will also scare some birds.last time out i used crow on flapper ,flapping all the time (no timer) and we shot 20 crows and 10 pigeons,some veared away ,some even landed before we saw them. had both pigeon and crow decoys out at same time.really does depend on day and birds,some spook easy some are really daft .if you can afford them,and dont mind carrying them ,get them . :good:

agree with you ive only had the flapper 2 weeks now and agree with everything you say some crows go mad for the flapper even coming back towards it after being shot at then others are spooked and turn away

This time of year go for the flapper. Have tried the magnet each time I have been out but without success. Flapper has worked though.

I think it depends how many oyher pigeon shooters are in your vicinity, If there are a lot ( probably using a magnet) go for a flapper. If not go for a magnet,

However if you can afford it, go for both

That way you can see what works on the day :rolleyes:

I have had two flappers for a few years, but now I rarely ( cant think of the last time) use them for pigeon, crows OOH yes,

but my take is that if pigeon are seeing the flapper they are "in" anyway, a rotary however WILL (and yes I know they have days when they spook more than they get to commit!) draw pigeon from a distance handy if you cant actually get under a flightline, have had some cracking results using two magnets and nothing else, expensive yes I suppose, but I have spent more on a decent fishing rod that does not get used a 10TH of the time so value for money to me.

This time of the year shooting over stubbles and if there is a bit of wind, the MUST have bit of kit is for me silly socks, these things are spot on daft to look at but they work, supplemented by a couple of well placed floaters, (I have recently been trying some from a well known cornish chap) they give a good very effective addition of movement etc, and are light light, if little or no wind then I return to the magnet to provide movement and sillys to give the incoming pigeon a focus/ landing point? and again have had very good results.

cheers KW

First of all thanks for all the replies so far. I have £90 to spend and have found a basic rotary, battery and battery charger for that much and the new remote control flapper package for the same price, i still can't decide which to go for, i'm tempted to go for the flapper as there are lots of rooks about and not too many pigeons. Is flapper very effective on pigeons when used over winter rape?

Thanks all.

First of all thanks for all the replies so far. I have £90 to spend and have found a basic rotary, battery and battery charger for that much and the new remote control flapper package for the same price, i still can't decide which to go for, i'm tempted to go for the flapper as there are lots of rooks about and not too many pigeons. Is flapper very effective on pigeons when used over winter rape?

Thanks all.

Ok here is the deal I found from the site sponsor,

Rotary Machine and Electric Flapper Package Deal

This is one hell of a deal!! We've packaged our Basic Rotary Decoy machine and an MK4 Flapper and slashed prices down so low there's no need to even consider shopping around!! Contents: - Rotary machine, two arms, wing spreaders (V-Sections). - Main Flapping unit, re-chargeable 1.2ah battery, Metal ground spike. Other things you will possibly need... - Battery for the Rotary unless you have your own. - A Pair of Plastic Flying Decoys to go on the rotary to get you started off. - A Timer unit for the Flapper...essential. You can choose from the Standard or the Deluxe version. All these accessories can be found in the Decoy Accessories section...funnily enough!

All for £99, with PW Discount there you go all done and dusted, Get to the midland and see if you cant do a deal as well.

http://www.ukshootwarehouse.co.uk/ and its the last on the list in decoying equipment.

Trev