Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

 

I am not a great fan of fancy engraving - in particular, I don't like game scenes or hunting scenes ........ but I do quite like both fine (sometimes known as Purdey style) scroll, and also the deeper and heavier 'Holland and Holland' style of scroll.  Any gold work (other than the word SAFE' or a discreet number on matched guns) is also 'over the top' for me, especially gold triggers!

I quite agree, especially about gold triggers. 
I am still not sure whether I prefer Purdey fine or H&H deeper and heavier, as shown here.683B0EAA-F84D-4921-AE68-276066200668.jpeg.28e39ad5bb816116d2c543e6c898b058.jpeg226E3C6F-6645-42DF-BDBF-64443895447B.jpeg.44df74ee056205729aa0d53f34aad5e8.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, reindeer said:

I consider the Longthorne a rounded action rather than a true round action.

 

I would agree! But I don’t know enough to make the distinction. 

10 hours ago, London Best said:

I quite agree, especially about gold triggers. 
I am still not sure whether I prefer Purdey fine or H&H deeper and heavier, as shown here.

That’s a lovely gun nonetheless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, the 'bar in wood' Dickson or MacNaughton are exceptionally elegant.

I once (circa late 1990s) drove through the snow to London to bid on one - which - had it sold 'within estimate range' was just about as much as I could afford.  Bidding started well towards the top of the estimate range and finished at about 1.5 x top estimate - well unaffordable for me.  It was a lovely gun, cased, Damascus in nitro proof.

Bar in wood.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

To me, the 'bar in wood' Dickson or MacNaughton are exceptionally elegant.

I once (circa late 1990s) drove through the snow to London to bid on one - which - had it sold 'within estimate range' was just about as much as I could afford.  Bidding started well towards the top of the estimate range and finished at about 1.5 x top estimate - well unaffordable for me.  It was a lovely gun, cased, Damascus in nitro proof.

Bar in wood.jpg

I similarly missed out on a MacNaughton thirty years ago at auction. Still hanker after it but it went at the ridiculous sum of £2100 I recall😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Apparently, each year Krieghoff do a "Gun of the Year" with fancy engraving etc.  I have to say that this years example seems to highlight everything I don't like about fancy guns ........

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/12/04/krieghoff-galapagos-k80s/

 

Quite agree. I just can’t understand why some spend so much money on making something look so cheap! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, reindeer said:

I am curious to hear your verdict on this new Beretta...

image.png.78f3591edc8cab7d76abd7b0382e2467.png

It's not really for me ......... but I do like a straight hand stock - but not a single trigger.  I wonder if the sharp pointed edges will cause wood splits?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It's not really for me ......... but I do like a straight hand stock - but not a single trigger.  I wonder if the sharp pointed edges will cause wood splits?

I think you’ll find they will be on side plates with only the wing shape highlighted the rest coloured to blend in to the stock more.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...