Do we still live in democracy?

grahamch

14 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Exactly what is this thing you call  "personal liberty" that you seem to hold so dear but continually fail to explain to the rest of us? Drop the tired cliches and "left speak" and shock us all with actual examples. All we are getting from you at the moment sounds like something from a recycled speech by Jeremy Corbyn.

blah blah blah personal liberty blah blah 

Oh yes, personal liberty, blah blah blah. What a ridiculous thing for me to be going on about! Much over-rated this 'personal liberty' malarkey!

Oh dear, if you don't know what it is, and cannot see how it has been eroded, then we really are in a worse position than I thought.

I think you might actually be enjoying all this lockdown business. Do you own shares in Andrex?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, treetree said:

Oh yes, personal liberty, blah blah blah. What a ridiculous thing for me to be going on about! Much over-rated this 'personal liberty' malarkey!

Oh dear, if you don't know what it is, and cannot see how it has been eroded, then we really are in a worse position than I thought.

I think you might actually be enjoying all this lockdown business. Do you own shares in Andrex?

Oh dear!  Is that really your idea of a constructive reply to the question? thats a bit embarrassing don't you think?

Do I own shares in Andrex? what a strange question. Or is it just a deflection?  Actually, I probably do, Andrex is owned by Kimberly Clark and I'm sure I will own shares in them somewhere in my portfolio

Edited by Vince Green

3 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

All of whom dont really have to worry about the bigger picture for the country especially financial implications so its easy for them to back tough restrictions. Conservatives are having to balance deaths, NHS, keeping some sort of economy, saving jobs and trying to stay in power, opposition simply shouts insults and grabs the votes by backing stricter restrictions. 

Fully agree the whole handling of the pandemic has been politically motivated and not really what's best for the country long or short term. 

Reading this thread I would have said the above.

NS can do what she likes, Boris is paying for everything,  they no doubt agreed what needed doing but she gets in first, everytime.  Instead of the big announcement of 8pm he should just have come straight out saying the country will be going into lockdown and I will give details later.

NS is also only dealing with 5.5 million people, there are a few more in England. 

Starmer can't go wrong and again he is not responsible for anything,  just says what's coming which was obvious then stands and smiles. 

The stand in Mayor of Liverpool was asking for a lockdown saying cases had trebled recently with the new strain.

Many schools didn't open today,  heads and staff all around the country will be wondering what to do tomorrow,  as will thousands of companies who have had this dropped on them after the Christmas break.

Meanwhile the buck stops with Boris, he looks worn down,  hardly sat there looking happy that the country is once again going to grind to a halt, but hopefully with the vaccine we will come out the other side.

I'd have also done like Scully says, give the vaccine to NHS staff first, seems harsh but with the lockdown announcement the over 70s and care homes could wait, give the staff the vaccine to protect them,  then maybe supermarket staff, school staff so schools could stay open.

The rest of us keep our heads down and masks on, wash our hands and minimize our contacts. 

Would anyone out there like to be in Boris's place?

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Reading this thread I would have said the above.

NS can do what she likes, Boris is paying for everything,  they no doubt agreed what needed doing but she gets in first, everytime.  Instead of the big announcement of 8pm he should just have come straight out saying the country will be going into lockdown and I will give details later.

NS is also only dealing with 5.5 million people, there are a few more in England. 

Starmer can't go wrong and again he is not responsible for anything,  just says what's coming which was obvious then stands and smiles. 

The stand in Mayor of Liverpool was asking for a lockdown saying cases had trebled recently with the new strain.

Many schools didn't open today,  heads and staff all around the country will be wondering what to do tomorrow,  as will thousands of companies who have had this dropped on them after the Christmas break.

Meanwhile the buck stops with Boris, he looks worn down,  hardly sat there looking happy that the country is once again going to grind to a halt, but hopefully with the vaccine we will come out the other side.

I'd have also done like Scully says, give the vaccine to NHS staff first, seems harsh but with the lockdown announcement the over 70s and care homes could wait, give the staff the vaccine to protect them,  then maybe supermarket staff, school staff so schools could stay open.

The rest of us keep our heads down and masks on, wash our hands and minimize our contacts. 

Would anyone out there like to be in Boris's place?

The 1st lockdown didn’t  save the old so it depends on what the objective of the vaccine is. If it is to prevent death then the old must be a priority. If it’s to stop NHS staff from getting it (who have more ppe than anybody else). They they should be a priority. If it’s to keep schools open then it should be teachers and pupils. 

Personally I would give it to financial services staff as we keep the economy going but I am biased.

I wouldn’t want the PM job regardless of Covid. The pay is ****

6 hours ago, old'un said:

If people feel they are being dictated to and their freedoms taken away, I guess Boris could just ask nicely for people not to mix, obviously he may need to-be a bit sterner in his tone when it comes to London and Essex.

Or just talk very slow for them if they're anything like the sodding program my wife watches.

20 minutes ago, AVB said:

Personally I would give it to financial services staff as we keep the economy going but I am biased.

Well you lot can work from home.

Yes the NHS have PPE but they are also dealing with the virus daily up close and personal so I'd say them getting the vaccine would be a priority. 

After that its probably about what the government's priorities are, what makes them look good I imagine. 

On 04/01/2021 at 19:01, Raja Clavata said:

I agree on the notion of key workers as a priority, it could be construed that the prioritisation of those already shielding could be politically motivated.

Those shielding and deemed vulnerable due to age are not likely to be driving the economy but the Conservatives need their votes at the next election, so have to be kept onside. Not suggesting it's the primary motivation but possibly naive not to think it's a factor?

Possibly the "oldies" spent savings contribute towards the economy?

5 hours ago, old man said:

Possibly the "oldies" spent savings contribute towards the economy?

Normally, to an extent, yes but I doubt that is the case much during pandemic / lockdown. My mum and in-laws are really only spending on food - no holidays, hair, manicures, hobbies, meals out with grandchildren etc.

15 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Normally, to an extent, yes but I doubt that is the case much during pandemic / lockdown. My mum and in-laws are really only spending on food - no holidays, hair, manicures, hobbies, meals out with grandchildren etc.

Point taken but the amount of soft plastic wrapping and cardboard in bins for disposal is astounding?