Crab pots

walshie

If your going where I think your going, we've been putting pots out there every summer for about 10 years. We've 4 pots (run a double and 2 singles) which is a bit crowded on board our 16ft shed, generally on the left of the sands it's about 30ft odd, we go right into some of those coves down to about 6ft, so 60ft of rope is sound. Get some gauntlets, after 30ft your hands are ready to go home 😅 On the right past the island used to be good but not produced enough lobster to warrent the trek now.  Nothing gets left out longer than 72 hrs, though once we had bad weather and asked one of the pots guys to drag it in as it wasn't going to improve. They did and chucked them a few quid.

We got pulled so to speak 2 years ago by some geezer from ministry, quick chat / inspection of ticket number and off we go again. 

Mainly get lobster and spider crabs, but every now and again and monster edible turns up. 

Also had a 12lb conger in 1. 

I'll have a dig and find some photos

25 minutes ago, walshie said:

What's that in the middle pic? A bull huss? 

Yea in a home made pot. Think that was near mwnt. 

He makes them out of thick gauge wire, with a few old sash weights in the bottom. Big drainage pipe for the entrance. Cable ties. The hatch again is cable ties which we cut to extract, packs of them are dead cheap and were not professional. Job done. We only go about 2 weeks of the year, it's a bit of a trek here to take the boat out, but when I lived in emlyn it was every week in the summer. 

Half the spiders we snorkel for, you can choose the best then 

You can find secondhand pots pretty cheap on ebay as well. Think some were around the £30mark. Think the buoys were either found or bought. 

I keep telling my mate that's its probably cheaper to go to Swansea market to get the crabs but hes having none of it. Personally I don't eat fish, but I'm happy to go out on my boat dropping pots, have a beer and do a bit of fishing 👍

I say my boat, we both own it is more accurate. 

• 2 years later...
On 27/01/2021 at 21:46, walshie said:

Just got my crab and lobster licence for when I can get back out on the boat.

Never done it before but I know what equipment I need to start with.

Anyone got any tips like how long to leave the pots to soak, best bait, length or rope to attach to the pot etc?

How are you getting on Walshy? 

I wouldn’t mind getting a little boat and some crab / lobster pots :) 

Why not dig amongst the rock pools and pull your crab and lobsters from there? If uou must put in a pot make sure it is well marked and the line measured for depth. Does my head in all these loose lined pots drifting about waiting to catch a prop. Worse still those too short that go under water at high tide. 😁

Edited by oowee

On 28/01/2021 at 01:22, Lloyd90 said:

I am considering sticking some pots on the rocks when the tide is low and seeing If I can catch anything with my nephew.

That will work, the only trouble is if they go anywhere near where the waves are breaking they won't be there when you come back.  So off a harbour wall is probably a better starting point and learn as you go from there.

Incidentally it's called skiving down here . Crabbing from the shore. Personally I would rather spin for mackerel 

No pot is too rough not to work. They don't have to be posh to be good

Edited by Vince Green