Downtime Salmon Flies

Very tidy flies there Dave.  I will sort out my pattern for a fly I devised and used on the South Esk with good results and let you have it. Probably put it on here and everyone can have a go.  There is nothing quite like taking a salmon on a fly.  My first was amazing.  I had let my friend fish down a stretch on the South esk ahead of me and there was at least one fish lying just below a large rock on the top of a bend. He tried every approach he could but eventually gave up and moved down to the next pool. I cast across and let the fly come round when the line straightened and I remembered the advise of a very competent fly fisherman to let the fish have the fly. Repeat God Save the Queen a few times before tightening up.  I did this and thought I had hooked the large rock, when it started to rush around the pool and jump clear of the water with such force my friend thought I had fallen in and came rushing back up the bank to eventually net the fish, a nice fresh 12lber.  Nothing tops that.

That fly was tied from the remnants on my fly tying bench and named after that pool on the South Esk.  It caught three other fish from that very same pool.

48 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Very tidy flies there Dave.  I will sort out my pattern for a fly I devised and used on the South Esk with good results and let you have it. Probably put it on here and everyone can have a go.  There is nothing quite like taking a salmon on a fly.  My first was amazing.  I had let my friend fish down a stretch on the South esk ahead of me and there was at least one fish lying just below a large rock on the top of a bend. He tried every approach he could but eventually gave up and moved down to the next pool. I cast across and let the fly come round when the line straightened and I remembered the advise of a very competent fly fisherman to let the fish have the fly. Repeat God Save the Queen a few times before tightening up.  I did this and thought I had hooked the large rock, when it started to rush around the pool and jump clear of the water with such force my friend thought I had fallen in and came rushing back up the bank to eventually net the fish, a nice fresh 12lber.  Nothing tops that.

That fly was tied from the remnants on my fly tying bench and named after that pool on the South Esk.  It caught three other fish from that very same pool.

Thanks. I look forward to getting the pattern and having a go. Had my first salmon last year, locally on the Nith using a gold Toby. Most exciting few minutes of my angling career before netting a fresh run fish of about 7lb. Caught another ten minutes later so it has to be fly this year. I have two weeks at a pals cottage at Bettyhill in June so hoping to pick up some tickets locally to have a go there. All in the lap of the gods at present but had my second vaccination today so feeling more comfortable about travel when we can.

11 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

I have caught 100,s of salmon using only 2 flies, a black and yellow and a yellow and black!  Top Tip,  always put movement into your fly when fishing it, even in streamier water, i get slated for it, but it works. Tight lines and screaming reels  ( preferably a Hardy Marquis etc. )

Any chance of a photo of one or two and I will, give them a go?

I too have been hoping for my first fly caught Atlantic salmon...problem has mainly been not living near salmon rivers! 

When we are able to travel (from tomorrow 😀 to some extent) I will be again trying the rivers on the West Coast of Wales for salmon and sea trout and also this year I plan to try to South Tyne and have a second go at the Eden. I also need a lot more practice casting my switch rod two handed...after a year of lockdown I’ll be happy stood in the river whether there’s any fish about or not and no matter how many tangles I produce in my leader! 

I haven’t yet tried to tie any salmon flies but have no shortage of materials (thanks to Walker570) so will try to find some simple patterns.  I have some salmon flies which a fried tied which I will use, I also bought some - which are only fit for the bin in terms of tying quality and monkey metal hooks). 

Edited by oscarsdad

2 hours ago, oscarsdad said:

I too have been hoping for my first fly caught Atlantic salmon...problem has mainly been not living near salmon rivers! 

When we are able to travel (from tomorrow 😀 to some extent) I will be again trying the rivers on the West Coast of Wales for salmon and sea trout and also this year I plan to try to South Tyne and have a second go at the Eden. I also need a lot more practice casting my switch rod two handed...after a year of lockdown I’ll be happy stood in the river whether there’s any fish about or not and no matter how many tangles I produce in my leader! 

I haven’t yet tried to tie any salmon flies but have no shortage of materials (thanks to Walker570) so will try to find some simple patterns.  I have some salmon flies which a fried tied which I will use, I also bought some - which are only fit for the bin in terms of tying quality and monkey metal hooks). 

I only have the chance now I have moved to Scotland and have the Nith on my doorstep. As with all west coast rivers it is not what it was but last year was best for many years. Will be interesting to see how this season goes. Good luck wherever you find yourself.

I have tied trout flies for nearly fifty years so only just started on the salmon flies. I have been taking some guidance from the local fly tying club online and watching Davie Mcphail on YouTube. If you have the basic skills it is not difficult but getting proportions right is a challenge on the large hooks.