Shotgun certificate

myuserid

From what i've heard it depends which county your from, as some Police forces are in a difficult restructuring phase that is causing 6/7 month back logs.

Just be patient as ringing them can be difficult, due to staff shortages in many forces so speaking to someone is nigh on impossible.

With me it took just over 2 Months.

Hope it's the same for you!

Good luck anyway.

My SGC took three months, which seemed ok to me. That was late last year. In January I applied for my FAC, it's still not here (8 months). I'm in Gloucestershire, to be blunt the performance of our force is ****. I hope your application goes ok, not all areas are as slow as they are around here. Good luck with it and let us know when it arrives :stupid:

My experience is also good. With the met even though technically I should be with Herts..

SGC was a week until first contact on a Friday followed by a Monday visit (arranged before work, ideal) then cert a week later after cabinet install.

FAC was 2 days until first contact (again Friday) followed by a visit the Wednesday and FAC collected from them on the Friday (no cabinet to install).

I know of people who have had quicker but not many. I know this doesn't reflect the general level of service but in my opinion how you handle it has a massive bearing on the speed of turnaround.

Its a disgrace how long it can take when really all they have to do is press a few buttons, and on top of all that your paying them £50!

I think I will do what pin said and contact them in a few weeks, I have the cabinet mounted all ready to go (has been for 12 months) so there shouldn't be a huge delay.... hopefully.

No one has said what the service is like in the Cumbrian area, so either no one has a license or they dont know about this forum which is shocking :stupid:

Thanks for your replies so far :lol:

I hope you read the Firearms security handbook about cabinet location and fixing before fixing it in place. Would be a shame to have the FEO came round and order you to move it elsewhere.

As for me, applied at the beginning of July. FEO coming round next Thurs so; that will end up being about 12 weeks in total I estimate. My licensing authority is Staffordshire.

Your right in saying that the criminal record/medical checks are done fairly quickly. With the enqiury interviews only taking a few weeks for a 2-parter (initial interviews and cabinet fitting plan approval followed by checking the fit has been carried out and is secure.)

However the delay is simply due to the backlog of processing license grants, variations and renewals into two different systems mainly due to the fact that the government forgot to make data files from the old systems compatable with the new ones. As such the office staff are having to duplicate every entry they make. Renewals have to take priority over grants and variations of course.

Delays longer than 12 weeks though are not acceptable as it shows the force failed to anticipate known problems with the new system they were going to have to start using.

Wait until you have seen the cheque clear from your bank account, or preferably receive the acknowledgement of application before you follow it up. As this hopefully means the basic application details have made it onto their system and it is in the queue for processing.

If you havent heard anything for say 28 days after sending in your application then check it has been received. The BASC told me to send the application by recorded delivery as it reduces claims of "loss" as they can't say it was lost in the post.

mr_colt.

Well my cabinet has been mounted to an external wall which is 4ft thick with m8 60mm anchor bolts (x6), its up against the a corner in a spare room. I gathered as much info about cabinets as I could before mounting it 12+ months ago, used for storing .22 air rifles.

The other thing which I have tried searching for but haven't found any info about is moving firearms between two houses. I currently shoot with my brother who lives in the Herefordshire area, at the moment I can spend anything from 2 weeks to 4 months down there but I never know how long. Can the gun be registered at two different addresses so I can transfer between them, or do I have to notify both firearms departments before moving them?

The main problem I can see with doing that is you are either going to have to have your own cabinet at this other address or have all your brothers shotguns and firearms on your own certs too.

With regards to keeping them at this address; your brother can store your shotgun in his cabinet for up to 72 hours at a time without having to notify the police and have it put on his ticket. Only he must have access to the cabinet however; which can make it rather inconvienent. The best suggestion I can give you is to fit another cabinet of your own at this other address of which you have sole access to.

Just inform your Firearms Licensing dept that you wish to store you firearms there as well as at home. They will probably have the local FEO do a check on the address to confirm there is a seperate cabinet.

I am however not a Firearms law expert and I would run this by the BASC firearms dept just to make sure.

mr_colt.

Just contacted the firearms dept and asked them when the cert should turn up, they said 4-5 weeks!!

I was told during my interview within 7 days, what a waste of time, thats 7 days I have put off work so I can make sure it would arrive within the time frame.

Just given them a telling off, will see what they say, if anything :lol: