Lee Precision 50th Anniversary Kit

Hi All

Just about to start reloading and have someone to show me the ropes. For those of you that already reload what do you think of the Lee Precision 50th Anniversary Reloading Kit (90050) ? It seems to give me everything I need except a good set of dies ( for which I am thinking the Lee Precision Ultimate Rifle 4 Die Set 243 WIN (90556)), and a powder trickler.

Id really appreciate any views on if this is a good place to start. I'm loading Win 243, not masses of rounds, probably a couple of hundred a year max for hunting and a bit of target punching when its quiet. Not looking at match accuracy.

cheers Scout

I don't know the specific kit but the Lee stuff is sold all over and is excellent. I bought a Lee reloading set with a Lee turret press and precision powder dispenser all very good. The turret is handy as you can leave the tools mounted and its easy to swap caliber using a second turret. I have also bought a much older set of scales that are perhaps better made than the Lee set that came in the kit. I am far from an expert but I can easily get results that are far better than I can buy in a box. The savings have already paid for the kit. I am guessing but I think a round of .223 or .243 comes out at about 50P. 

12 hours ago, scout said:

Hi All

Just about to start reloading and have someone to show me the ropes. For those of you that already reload what do you think of the Lee Precision 50th Anniversary Reloading Kit (90050) ? It seems to give me everything I need except a good set of dies ( for which I am thinking the Lee Precision Ultimate Rifle 4 Die Set 243 WIN (90556)), and a powder trickler.

Id really appreciate any views on if this is a good place to start. I'm loading Win 243, not masses of rounds, probably a couple of hundred a year max for hunting and a bit of target punching when its quiet. Not looking at match accuracy.

cheers Scout

I bet you'll change your mind somewhat when you get started. :whistling:

Forget the powder trickler, you were issued with one at birth. Mind you, perhaps not to listen to me, I'm still using Father's original Ohaus 0505 Precision Loading Scales.

I use one of those , or something extremely similar. It's perfectly adequate for my club target shooting needs. The scales are fine if a little fiddly and it's too easy to touch and move the sliding vernier scale but work well enough if you're careful. The press could also be more robust, I found when I was crimping (I no longer bother) and seating the heads the depth could vary marginally depending on how firmly the arm is leant on. If you're only loading one rifle you should just need to bump the shoulders back rather than full length sizing. 

On 22/04/2022 at 09:41, wymberley said:

Forget the powder trickler, you were issued with one at birth.

I find a trickler very useful when loading rifle rounds. I use a suitable Lee powder dipper (worth buying the set if you load a multitude of calibers) and just top up to the right weight on the scales with a quick trickle.

I've got a range of lee dies and apart from needing to polish out a seating die I've not had any problems at all with them or other Lee stuff.