Be aware 410 express

this is just a heads up for 4.10 users 

Bought a thousand express 410 cartridges 

having a bit of a issue with some fired 80 cartridges today happened 3 times 

those off you that use semi automatic and pump 4.10 should be careful if your using them 

they fire ok but when you eject the empties sometimes the head comes off leaving the case in the chamber 

Be careful 

AA0BFC01-E662-4F46-978F-2AF8C7A06858.jpeg

E2F1E58C-725F-46E7-9917-4586E3D5154C.jpeg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Sounds like they are particularly high pressure, I wouldn't fire any more and would be going back to dealer

The dealer is aware 

Id have thought there would be a indication on the primer if it’s high pressure 

tbh I didn’t get any feeling of a high pressure when shooting them certainly not got as much oomp as the hull equivalent 

Edited by Old farrier

4 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

If the steel head is too thin for the pressure, it may be showing the first indication due to being fire formed and detaching from the shell

Ok thanks for the information 

ill let you know what the dealership comes up with 

just wanting to warn anyone using them especially through a semi/ pump 

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

How recent did you buy these.  I have a slab...part used of their shells and to date had no problems and they shot very well.  I'm sure the manufaturers would want to know about that right away.

Bought them last week part of a large order 

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Could it possibly be - with no sign of over pressure apparent when firing - that there is an unfortunate mis-match of permissible tolerances with this particular cartridge/chamber relationship?

Possibly but it’s happened in two different guns with different chamber tolerance’s 

One older gun one new one 

Just now, Old farrier said:

11356D60-D044-49D1-9DCC-C3A934080623.jpeg

6F63A12F-F662-4600-B653-2A8528250FA4.jpeg

02E29339-A78A-4367-9E13-A8953D187A2A.jpeg

FCA267A2-49AE-4607-AF5D-9E2F6B68827E.jpeg

I included the 2.1/2 as I had one of them come off last week 

this isn’t a isolated incident initially though it maybe strong ejectors or dirty chambers I’ve checked and polished chambers ejectors aren’t overly strong also tried different guns 

it’s a nuisance to me a potential hazard to others 

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

A very good heads up.  Lylevale need to know. They have always been receptive to comments in my memory.  The ejectors on my Yildiz are pretty strong as you witnesed last year, throws 'em 4-5yrds no problem. It is a fault in manufacture without doubt.

I’m sure it’s just a glitch for them they have had a few problems sourcing cases heads ect apparently 

not criticising the product as all manufacturers have the odd bad slab go through 

just something to look for it you shoot a lot of them 

On 17/07/2022 at 17:31, Old farrier said:

The dealer is aware 

Id have thought there would be a indication on the primer if it’s high pressure 

tbh I didn’t get any feeling of a high pressure when shooting them certainly not got as much oomp as the hull equivalent 

Primer signs are only useful when dealing with rifles. Once you start seeing pressure signs on primers on shotgun shells you're already far in excess of the maximum chamber pressure regs. 

Unfortunately the only way to reliably gauge pressures in shotgun shells is to send them for testing. 

Just now, Smudger687 said:

Primer signs are only useful when dealing with rifles. Once you start seeing pressure signs on primers on shotgun shells you're already far in excess of the maximum chamber pressure regs. 

Unfortunately the only way to reliably gauge pressures in shotgun shells is to send them for testing. 

That’s my next step if I don’t get a response from the manufacturers 

to be honest it’s unacceptable 

has anyone else here had heads coming off cases in any caliber?

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Hope you get it sorted Mate, good luck.  :good:

Well I’m not sure if it’s for me to sort 🙄

this is how I see it 

I had a problem 

I made the dealer aware ( very helpful and apologetic)

he contacted his supplier/the manufacturer 

no reply from them yet to acknowledge the issue? 
once they acknowledge it if they choose not to do anything about the problem I see them as being grossly negligent 

that’s just my view of it 

I opened a different slab yesterday and fired 100 problems the same with this slab 

and tomorrow I’m opening another slab hopefully I won’t have a issue I think trying 3 separate slabs is more than fair testing for them and there products 

I definitely would NOT shoot these cartridges in a pump or semi auto 

If I have a problem tomorrow I shall be taking all that I have back and requesting a refund 

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I only live just up the road and would be knocking on their door.  Certainly if you don't get a response by next weekend then a telephone call to Lylevale would be my next move. 

Again thankyou for raising the problem BUT do all the other purchasers read PW

Probably not but I don’t know the other purchaser’s 

that’s why I went down the route I chose 

let’s see what happens tomorrow when I try slab number 3 

definatly DO NOT USE cases for reloding if your into picking them up from clay grounds 

Yes, although I usually proclaim Lylevale 410s as a good cartridge...I have just tried a slab of their new 3 inch and had no problem.... this concerns me.

I used a few of their newish 3 inch last season and they performed very well.  I mau have a back door access, no names no pack drill, let me have a word.

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Any chance of cutting one open and weighing the contents, especially the powder with a mini scale and posting a photo?

I can do that for you 

im also going to put micrometer on the brass before and after firing

although to be fair to express I would like to give them time to respond to my dealers email to them and see what they can sort out if that’s ok with you all 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

I've never had that happen on any cart .410 or otherwise. And I've tried a lot of different .410 carts . And a few layvale ones too .

A bit worrying  

I’ve seen it happen a very long time ago paper cases swelled up and stuck in the chamber using a cartridge extractor pulled the heads off the extractor had a hooked other end for removing the tube 

however modern cartridges especially plastic cases shouldn’t suffer from the problem