American Trap shooting at my club

simcgunner

1 hour ago, simcgunner said:

A round of trap at my club Fellow shooting model12 pump  incorrectly carries gun between stations. vid about 12 yrs old

Great stuff! Really enjoyed that. 
Personally I couldn’t see much wrong with the safety aspect; pump was obviously out of battery and therefore most likely empty before he changed to another station. 
Thanks for posting. 👍

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Great stuff! Really enjoyed that. 
Personally I couldn’t see much wrong with the safety aspect; pump was obviously out of battery and therefore most likely empty before he changed to another station. 
Thanks for posting. 👍

He put gun over his shoulder with barrel pointing behind hm where he could not see. also directly pointed briefly directly at camera. the fellow with the cowboy hat has very fast reflexes and regularly goes 300 straight without a miss. they are all good shooters these guys are between 50 and 70 years old. we don't have a lot of younger shooters a few sometimes show up on weekends. I'm not sure of down the line this is the most popular sport next to skeet and sporting clays.

10 minutes ago, simcgunner said:

He put gun over his shoulder with barrel pointing behind hm where he could not see. also directly pointed briefly directly at camera. the fellow with the cowboy hat has very fast reflexes and regularly goes 300 straight without a miss. they are all good shooters these guys are between 50 and 70 years old. we don't have a lot of younger shooters a few sometimes show up on weekends. I'm not sure of down the line this is the most popular sport next to skeet and sporting clays.

Fair enough, but knowing it was empty it wouldn’t bother me personally. 
It’s good to see experienced ‘old boys’ shooting DTL; they all seem very slick and relaxed.
It can be quite amusing to hear the different variations of the word ‘pull’ also! 🙂

Thanks again, for posting. 👍

This game has been played in leagues since the 1800's. It was the most popular type of shooting available before Skeet And later sporting clays. Many earlier champions were the great celebrities of the day. names like Bogadrus. Annie Oakley, and John Phillip Sousa. were invited to shoot and thousands would turn out to see them .To me I prefer sporting clays as  this game requires single minded concentration as with many games of skill Snooker. golf, darts. They all give that little rush of adrenalin after a good shot and the need to repeat over and over. I don't know what down the line is  this game has  a few different varieties single 16 yard only one shot. doubles obviously two shots and handicap where the better shooters are required to shoot further behind as their recorded scores increase. it is similar to Olympic trap but shot pre-mounted instead of raised from low gun. the trap guns length of pull is fit a little longer than a field gun almost always has a full pistol grip and a rib and stock  fitted that causes the gun to shoot high. some are fitted with release triggers (A horrible device) Without these modifications it is impossible to win a tournament. Trap Guns can be expensive kregoff , Seitz. and Lutic and are examples of common brands. ever seen a Lutic space gun?.

Edited by simcgunner

Down the line or DTL is very similar to your OP, also started gun up but with full use of the gun, meaning both barrels are used. 
My mate shot a lot of DTL when he was younger, and became very good at it, and although I’ve shot it intermittently, we both shoot mostly sporting now. 
Despite what some think, when you’re actually participating, it isn’t boring at all. 
I for one am pleased you posted the film, and have watched it several times. It’s a shame I couldn’t get a closer look at the guns used, especially the pump ( Model 12 you say ) with a Monte Carlo comb, and what looks like a single barrelled Krieghoff. 

the model 12 could be had with in a trap configuration (Monty Carlo stock and vented rib). The fellow with the red muffs has a silver Seitz (purpose built trap gun) the guy with the white hat is shooting a Beretta. the bottom gun in the picture is an old Ithaca trap gun that was ordered by Frank Butler Annie Oakelys husband and a very good professional shooter in his own right. Annie shot lots of different makes of Guns during her career including one like this. During her tour of Europe she shot a English gun gifted to her at her demonstration for queen Victoria.the other is a winchester 101 set up for bunker trap(Olympic style)

Annie's fleue.jpg

Winchester-Model-12-Trap-12-Gauge_.jpeg

Edited by simcgunner

They are quick to shoot,  after man before them have shot, and so on.. most of the you tube videos on Americans shooting sporting go through alot of " pre shot routines ". Which they can make a bit of a drama out of before shooting.  Instead of just calling and shooting the clay.. I know this is trap shooting,  and obviously all shooting are component  shots, and just want to get at them. It would only take one slow shooter in that line to completely knock the rhythm of everyone else.