Fence kills lamb and 3 foxes shot.

oowee

Dropped down into a small paddock full of sheep last night. I scanned the field with my thermal and could see a fox at the bottom of the field but wanted to look in the adjacent orchard. There was a bunch of sheep stood in the field corner and as I got close to them I did not want to spook them into the orchard so took a look through the thermal to see how best to push them out of the entrance.

At my feet no more than 10m was a fox chewing on a carcass. I stopped backed up 40 yards (it was raining and I wanted to get under a tree) and checked again to see it still there. I popped the rifle onto the sticks waited for the backstop sheep to clear and dropped it. Immediately another came to check out the carcass and I shot that. I started to walk back over to look into the orchard and a third (the one I had seen earlier) was on its way over. Back under the tree and in a couple of minutes it was in the bag on the same carcass. Three youngsters in the space of 15mins, 

Turns out that the lamb had got stuck under the fence and it looks like the foxes ate it alive. It was not so obvious last night. 

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-05 at 13.56.50.jpeg

Edited by oowee

A lamb in distress call suspect too much for three youngsters all siblings do you think ?

still fantastic shooting the wound on the one to right looks spot on to keep your nerve for the 3rd

Well done recon you will have a very happy farmer.

Agriv8 

Ps makes my 3 rats last night with the .22 seem a little small fry 

2 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

A lamb in distress call suspect too much for three youngsters all siblings do you think ?

still fantastic shooting the wound on the one to right looks spot on to keep your nerve for the 3rd

Well done recon you will have a very happy farmer.

Agriv8 

Ps makes my 3 rats last night with the .22 seem a little small fry 

Thankyou for the kind words.

The farmer should probably have secured that fence properly, to avoid the accident. I shot the foxes as the land owner next door has free range fowl. 

Farmers and gates no comment.

but I still know a large number round here complaining how hard farming is but not making there lives easier.

one who insists in scraping the muck into a big pile in the yard so everyone has to drive round it or do a three point turn rather than scrape it into the midden 20 yards down the yard !

Also boiled 3 tractors because the haven’t topped the water up and knew it had a leak then topped it off and looked surprised when it froze solid and cracked the block !?!! Because it had no antifreeze in.

Least the death of the lamb meant thee foxes away from those fowl next door,

Agriv8