Golf course

Theduckman

28 minutes ago, Theduckman said:

Thanks for that , I’ve looked at this before and I can’t see anything to justify bird control on a golf course and was wondering what everyone else’s interpretation is?  

I can't see anything to justify it either.  The only way would be to get written permission from the GC Secretary through the Head Green Keeper detailing the damage etc.

I sort the squirrels out on a golf course because they are damaging greens but the Green keeper checked with his Course Secretary to see it was ok.

51 minutes ago, Theduckman said:

Thanks for that , I’ve looked at this before and I can’t see anything to justify bird control on a golf course and was wondering what everyone else’s interpretation is?  

The chart does tell you what you can shoot and the reasons for shooting them, so you need to ask, why are you shooting them on the golf course?

14 minutes ago, old'un said:

The chart does tell you what you can shoot and the reasons for shooting them, so you need to ask, why are you shooting them on the golf course?

This. You need to know the effect the birds are having on the golf course before you can determine if it’s covered by the GL. 

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

Even less likely then 

Think the GL is pretty clear that you can kill pigeons that might, or are hitting crops, crows conserving endangered birds, livestock direct attack, livestock feedstuff and crops, magpies can only be shot for, conserving endangered birds and livestock direct attack.

Just now, old'un said:

Think the GL is pretty clear that you can kill pigeons that might, or are hitting crops, crows conserving endangered birds, livestock direct attack, livestock feedstuff and crops, magpies can only be shot for, conserving endangered birds and livestock direct attack.

I appreciate that but the op is referring to pigeons crows etc. GL 41 will allow wild pigeon, jackdaw and canada's for health and hygiene. Either way I think its unlikely to be the case. Having said that for Canada geese around the ponds maybe.

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

I appreciate that but the op is referring to pigeons crows etc. GL 41 will allow wild pigeon, jackdaw and canada's for health and hygiene. Either way I think its unlikely to be the case. Having said that for Canada geese around the ponds maybe.

Well the “etc” could refer to everything else on the GL, he needs to be more specific.

Now now gentlemen let’s not get upset just because golf was mentioned. To be clear on this my original point is I’ve been asked by a golf course to help out , not so much the pigeons but more so crows and rabbits, my point being I can’t see how under the new GL crows pigeons or most bird for that matter could be shot on a golf course .

8 minutes ago, Theduckman said:

Now now gentlemen let’s not get upset just because golf was mentioned. To be clear on this my original point is I’ve been asked by a golf course to help out , not so much the pigeons but more so crows and rabbits, my point being I can’t see how under the new GL crows pigeons or most bird for that matter could be shot on a golf course .

Think you have just answered your own question, but never say never as someone will be along shortly to tell you, you can. :)

Guns and shooting either on or around golf courses is a sure way to get a visit from the police , you can be in the right but you might have to explain what you are doing , sooner or later someone will have to justify in court why he is shooting Pigeons on a non crop situation , he or she would no doubt get away with it but it will bring the G L back in the lime light and it could well iron out some of the ( loop holes ) when it next come up to be reviewed .

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Guns and shooting either on or around golf courses is a sure way to get a visit from the police , you can be in the right but you might have to explain what you are doing , sooner or later someone will have to justify in court why he is shooting Pigeons on a non crop situation , he or she would no doubt get away with it but it will bring the G L back in the lime light and it could well iron out some of the ( loop holes ) when it next come up to be reviewed .

I don't think it will take someone ending up in court for the GL wording to be reviewed, I am sure Packham and his legal team are ready and well briefed in that area.

9 minutes ago, Theduckman said:

This was what I was hoping for someone telling me it’ll all be ok and to get myself out and set the hide up on 16th green 😀

Like I said, I think you are treading on thin ice, but………..if you could show the reason for shooting crows is to conserve birds of concern you might just have a case, I say might.

If it was me I would stick to the squirrels and rabbits.

Cheers old’un really appreciate any advice, your thoughts are the same as mine why rock the boat when you’ve got a chance for plenty rabbits. Unfortunately the problem isn’t going to get any better for the golf course and GL make things very difficult for everyone (those trying to abide to the law and them trying to enforce it) 

8 minutes ago, Theduckman said:

Cheers old’un really appreciate any advice, your thoughts are the same as mine why rock the boat when you’ve got a chance for plenty rabbits. Unfortunately the problem isn’t going to get any better for the golf course and GL make things very difficult for everyone (those trying to abide to the law and them trying to enforce it) 

Hope you get a few rabbits and squirrels :good:………..pssssst, and if no ones looking I wont say anything. ;)

We also have to take in account that shooting on the GL is the last resort after already having tried non lethal methods first and not the other way round 

As I said , this G L is like a mine field and how many people carrying out pest control carry out all the requirements before they start pulling the trigger ?:hmm: