Golf course

Theduckman

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We also have to take in account that shooting on the GL is the last resort after already having tried non lethal methods first and not the other way round 

As I said , this G L is like a mine field and how many people carrying out pest control carry out all the requirements before they start pulling the trigger ?:hmm:

A, be satisfied alternatives methods have been employed*

B. continue to use or consider alternative methods*

You’re not required to use alternative, lawful methods under condition 1(a) and 1(b) where the use of such methods would be impractical, without effect or disproportionate in the circumstances.

* paraphrase

54 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We also have to take in account that shooting on the GL is the last resort after already having tried non lethal methods first and not the other way round 

As I said , this G L is like a mine field and how many people carrying out pest control carry out all the requirements before they start pulling the trigger ?

:blush:

3 hours ago, oowee said:

A, be satisfied alternatives methods have been employed*

B. continue to use or consider alternative methods*

You’re not required to use alternative, lawful methods under condition 1(a) and 1(b) where the use of such methods would be impractical, without effect or disproportionate in the circumstances.

* paraphrase

That is the thing oowee , very few guidelines on when and where you conduct alternative methods , most complaints about gas guns are in built up areas , so to keep the peace on a golf course you would have to use the Hawk kites , and possibly poison down the Rabbit holes.

Take the crop fields I shoot throughout the Summer , I would normally walk around the field twice  before having a go over decoys , ( a ) I enjoy going for a walk around our fields and ( b ) it should cover using alternative methods according to the G L , on paper I have done my best to walk them off over a period of two days and if they keep coming back then some of them will get shoot , then a few days later I then carry out the same routine and if they insist on coming back then some more will be shot , all sorted and keeping within the guide lines , ........... or am I :lol:

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

, then a few days later I then carry out the same routine and if they insist on coming back then some more will be shot , all sorted and keeping within the guide lines , ........... or am I :lol:

Keen and careful 👍 Your right its a concern. Most of the places I shoot there will be a gas gun or scary man to turn off. One farm has a licence for starlings. There are nets on all the barns but the licence is a bit daft limiting the number to just 50 birds. The nets are a complete pain for the farm operation. 

Not much you can do for a golf course. Best for shooting rabbits foxes and if your lucky maybe a goose or two. 

On 16/10/2022 at 14:00, Theduckman said:

Could anyone let me know if shooting pigeons/crows ect on a golf course fall under any general license? 
Any advice would be much appreciated 

Given there would likely be Golfers about shooting in the daytime on a Golf Course especially at this time of year is a very bad idea irrespective of the GL.  Pigeons and Crows don't damage Golf Courses.

Edited by Weihrauch17

I set up my own company and shoot for various different golf courses. You will need your own public liability and insurance if being payed. Also get a contract written this will usually state what you are expected to control from types of mammals to Birdlife. Usually the hgc will discuss and liaise with you the damage you need to stop. From there forward it is for you to explain methods used which must be obviously 100 per cent legal

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2022 at 22:41, Weihrauch17 said:

Given there would likely be Golfers about shooting in the daytime on a Golf Course especially at this time of year is a very bad idea irrespective of the GL.  Pigeons and Crows don't damage Golf Courses.

I would say Crows do damage golf courses. I have seen where they along with rooks & jackdaws have dug up grass seeds & fairways looking for leather jackets. On our recreation ground outside my house they have dug great big holes all over the place as this year there seem to be loads of crane flys about.

1 hour ago, Mullard83 said:

I would say Crows do damage golf courses. I have seen where they along with rooks & jackdaws have dug up grass seeds & fairways looking for leather jackets. On our recreation ground outside my house they have dug great big holes all over the place as this year there seem to be loads of crane flys about.

I have a driving range where the crows are picking up the balls flying off and dropping them in field behind. Nothing we can do except deterrent tactics 

I did a golf course across the road for years and it was nothing but a pain going out at 5am there was people walking across it to there work and folk out walking there dogs. During the day the golfers think they own it and you shouldnt be there one day i was digging out my ferret under a forty foot popular  and  they old golfer trot over have you got permission to be here ?. Then the sneaky ones go to the green keepers and say theres somebody stealing trees LOL the green keepers come over and say i knew you where out . Try lamping at night theres kids and folk walking dogs in the dark no torch or anything . Then fire a gun during the day . Now i just wander over ferret a few rabbits and walk away stuff the rest of it not worth the hassel 

On 18/10/2022 at 22:41, Weihrauch17 said:

Sorry but I have seen the damage the crows have done to greens ,even though this isn’t a good enough reason  to bring in control measures the problem still exists. The costs of getting a green to a good standard is a little more than just running the Flymo over the top of it once a week. 

1 hour ago, Theduckman said:

Sorry but I have seen the damage the crows have done to greens ,even though this isn’t a good enough reason  to bring in control measures the problem still exists. The costs of getting a green to a good standard is a little more than just running the Flymo over the top of it once a week. 

So why are we discussing it.  I control vermin on 2 golf courses and have never seen any damage from crows and pigeons and have never been asked to control them just Foxes and Rabbits.

10 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

I have a driving range where the crows are picking up the balls flying off and dropping them in field behind. Nothing we can do except deterrent tactics 

Probably mistaking them for eggs.

On 20/10/2022 at 20:46, Theduckman said:

Exactly this all corvids damage green looking for worms leather jackets etc etc

The repair cost in labour are not cheap

Also geese on the grass eating and defecating 

I just do the tree rats on one course and , yes, you do have to accept early in ...early out. At the moment there is about one and a half hours of likely activity on the actual fairways but I have a set up on the practise area and that usually gives me another hour. The regular golfers now know who I am and just carry on enjoying their game.

I shoot from a fixed point to a feed station and don't wander about the place.   Usually takes the first group out about three hours to reach the 18th so I sit on that one last.

• 2 months later...

Having been a Greenkeeper and done the pest control on golf courses i can tell you that Corvids do cause serious damage to greens, the amount of effort that is put into well tended greens is massive in both cost and labour. The cost of repair after damage can be extortionate, i found the best tool to use was the Fac air rifle, quiet , accurate and very effective, also good for the rabbits and squirrels either on the ground or using a bait point, pigeons and foxes haven't caused any damage to courses ii did pest control on, Canada's can definitely be culled for H and S reasons. As for the police i never had an issue , just rang 101 to let them know what i was doing and what times i was doing it.

S

• 11 months later...
On 16/10/2022 at 17:32, Theduckman said:

Now now gentlemen let’s not get upset just because golf was mentioned. To be clear on this my original point is I’ve been asked by a golf course to help out , not so much the pigeons but more so crows and rabbits, my point being I can’t see how under the new GL crows pigeons or most bird for that matter could be shot on a golf course .

If around the buildings then possibly H&S would apply for pigeons. On the course itself is harder to justify. Rabbit no issue, geese no issue due to the dog **** size poo all over the fairways so would be h&s

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

If around the buildings then possibly H&S would apply for pigeons. On the course itself is harder to justify. Rabbit no issue, geese no issue due to the dog **** size poo all over the fairways so would be h&s

Ah balls just noticed this is a very old post ha. To much Christmas cheer in Me ha