Advice please on a XC60 or a Freelander 2

Arley

Hi,

After 10 years of eventful ownership its time to get rid of the Disco3, its got an electrical fault that is not cost effective to fix. I have narrowed my choice of a replacement car down to either a Freelander 2 or a Volvo XC60. 

If anyone has owned either i would appreciate any feedback please.

Regards

Arley

I had a freelander 2 for around 10 years loved the car but both rear wheel arches started rusting and the road tax was £350 . I now have a xc60 that I bought 2 year's ago and cannot fault it, it uses the same Haldex system as the Freelander and so far it's been everywhere the Freelander has. Road tax is £180 and it's at least 20% better on diesel. The Volvo is apparently based on the Freelander platform but there is more usable space. 

My younger son runs an XC60 . Volvo servicing not cheap but gets free roadside built in as well as ECU updates 

with a young family he hopes it will last him c10 years

he and his partner love it. she needs a cushion to drive it only 4.11 but handles it w/o problem. it's a 66 reg and rear camera would be nice. but on later models

cheers

gdadphil 

FWIW I changed to an AWD XC60 in June and love it. Sorry no experience of Freelanders but was a long term X-trail owner before this. I think it depends what you want to use it for, on road it is superb, fairly economical with loads of room. Has all the toys I will ever need. Not taken it off road really as yet, only over wet grass fields to our clay shoot… but I’m not sure I would take it to the places my X-trail used to go. 

2 hours ago, MrPhantom said:

FWIW I changed to an AWD XC60 in June and love it. Sorry no experience of Freelanders but was a long term X-trail owner before this. I think it depends what you want to use it for, on road it is superb, fairly economical with loads of room. Has all the toys I will ever need. Not taken it off road really as yet, only over wet grass fields to our clay shoot… but I’m not sure I would take it to the places my X-trail used to go. 

On my friend’s farm in South Africa there are several 4x4 vehicles, including Nissan Patrol, X-trail, Hiluxes and Land Cruisers. 
The X-tail is the only one not permitted to be taken anywhere you need to go on the farm. It just can’t hack it with the others.

Ive been comparing these 2 for the last month or so before i buy in the next couple of weeks. Ive read the internet to bits & had a look at a few different models of each & i'm now convinced that the XC60 is for me,after test driving one last week. As already said, the fuel economy is better, cheaper tax, and great to drive.I just need to find the right deal .

• 3 weeks later...