Librela

getthegat

A while back we got a referral from our vet, to get Sophs front legs CT scanned, as her limping was becoming far more frequent and far more debilitating for her. The results were pretty horrible, as both front elbows and shoulders are suffering from bone degeneration and it was suggested that at a young age, possibly 4 or 5 months, she was either dropped or thrown, breaking her wrists and then dumped. She would not have been able to walk for 2 days and over the years she's been with us, she has been compensating for the pain, even causing issues to her rear hips and back. We had been using Metacam off and on for a long time, but this can cause liver and kidney problems, she was also on Krill tablets,  Yumove, CBD oil, therapy twice a month, laser treatment and heat pads and ice packs, nothing really touched it. We've now gone to Librela injection once a month and OMG 😲 it's like she has bionic legs, no hint of a limp or pain, really flexible, happy and back to loving life. OK so it's £102 per month! Zoinks😬 But there are no side effects apparently and it's so lovely to see her so fit and healthy and happy. 

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Never heard of it but if it works that's brilliant. I'm guessing it's not an over the counter med? Is it just the vet that can do it. I know a few dogs that might benefit from a trial. My sons dog for one

Yes, it can only be done by a vet. The down side is that once you start, it has to continue every month for the rest of the dogs life, or until your bank balance throws in the towel. Google it or speak to your vet, if your dog is or was a working dog, or perhaps just your best pigeon retrieving mate, seeing them do what they love best is priceless.Β 

Whats a hundred a month if your best pal is doing well on it. Bite the bullet and give something up.Β  Many moons ago I had a new dog and was told not the let the puppy even go down steps certainly not stairs for three months ot more, also jumping off things.Β Β Β  It can do a lot of damage you don't see until the dog gets older.

Pleased the hound is enjoying life again.

9 hours ago, jcbbracken said:

you can buy librela on line with a prescription yourself for a 20-30kg dog you get two vials of 15mg for Β£80Β  two months worth and thet will letΒ 

you do the injection your selfΒ 

Really! Thing is, what vet is going to hand out prescriptions and loose out on a sale. Interesting though

19 hours ago, getthegat said:

Really! Thing is, what vet is going to hand out prescriptions and loose out on a sale. Interesting though

I have a dog on permanent medication and get a prescription from the vet Β£18,and buy the drugs online ,vet says they can’t compete with the price even though I said I would rather buy through them ,they are more than happy that I am saving money this way .

Unfortunately today has been a bad one for Soph. She had her 2nd jab last night and I think she "fell off a cliff" this morning from the first injection. Her right leg was giving her all sorts of grief, I had to carry her into the house when I came home and she would not even go for a pee or poop until after 2.00 this afternoon,Β  having done her last pee yesterday evening at 8.30, nearly 11 hours before. The vet says the 2nd jab should kick in in about 2 days. I think she felt so good for the last month that both her and me did too much, which looking back was very easy considering the transformation she had. I blame myself and to see her sad and hurting is distressing. Hopefully we both get a second chance and when the new injection takes effect we can calm down and not forget that the bone damage is and will always be there.

On 19/11/2022 at 20:39, getthegat said:

Unfortunately today has been a bad one for Soph. She had her 2nd jab last night and I think she "fell off a cliff" this morning from the first injection. Her right leg was giving her all sorts of grief, I had to carry her into the house when I came home and she would not even go for a pee or poop until after 2.00 this afternoon,Β  having done her last pee yesterday evening at 8.30, nearly 11 hours before. The vet says the 2nd jab should kick in in about 2 days. I think she felt so good for the last month that both her and me did too much, which looking back was very easy considering the transformation she had. I blame myself and to see her sad and hurting is distressing. Hopefully we both get a second chance and when the new injection takes effect we can calm down and not forget that the bone damage is and will always be there.

Our Lab is on the same also on 100mg Galliprant, at 5 years and 8 months its no age. Very difficult to pinpoint the actual cause, we have no recollection of any early injury, hip, elbow scores are excellent so at a loss as to why he has osteoarthritis so young.Β  Β 

I only send him for a couple of birds before 11'sΒ  then same again after. Its bloody hard to see the other dogs picking up, and Buster like a coiled spring.Β  The difference in him from before the medication is brilliant he's loads happier, difficult to say he's pain free as we know they will work through on adrenalin alone regardless of pain.Β 

I hope your Soph feels better soon.Β :good:

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Our Lab is on the same also on 100mg Galliprant, at 5 years and 8 months its no age. Very difficult to pinpoint the actual cause, we have no recollection of any early injury, hip, elbow scores are excellent so at a loss as to why he has osteoarthritis so young.Β  Β 

I only send him for a couple of birds before 11'sΒ  then same again after. Its bloody hard to see the other dogs picking up, and Buster like a coiled spring.Β  The difference in him from before the medication is brilliant he's loads happier, difficult to say he's pain free as we know they will work through on adrenalin alone regardless of pain.Β 

I hope your Soph feels better soon.Β :good:

If only there was a real Doctor Dolittle, we could then find out exactly what are dogs are trying to tell usπŸ˜„ Must be frustrating if your dog has issues with no apparent cause. Sounds like you're doing the right things to make his life a happy, pain free as possible, one. πŸ‘

33 minutes ago, getthegat said:

If only there was a real Doctor Dolittle, we could then find out exactly what are dogs are trying to tell usπŸ˜„ Must be frustrating if your dog has issues with no apparent cause. Sounds like you're doing the right things to make his life a happy, pain free as possible, one. πŸ‘

I've always said if only I could get 5mins to talk to my dogs and them to us, it would make life so much easier if they understood why they need to listen to us πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚