Gobsmacked stat' USA

ditchman

2 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

But really you have to think about America as 50 different countries.  So 19,000 gun murders a year is 380 per state.  My home of North Carolina is roughly the same size as England and is on the smaller side of US states.  So that would be like saying 380 murders for all of England.  6DED1EAB-8B6A-4E7C-9E39-7DC04656556C.jpeg.3cddfc5aa72624bba454145fa7a4c707.jpeg

population of USA...331 million

population of uk........67 million

so roughly the population of UK is roughly 20% of that of the USA

should be worked out like that...............what is extreamly difficult is how the both govts wrap up the figures in stats and mix gun related violence in with gun death and different types of weapons etc....................from 

1.   centrefire

2.  shotgun

3.  air weapon

4. immation firearm

6 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

But really you have to think about America as 50 different countries.  So 19,000 gun murders a year is 380 per state.  My home of North Carolina is roughly the same size as England and is on the smaller side of US states.  So that would be like saying 380 murders for all of England.  6DED1EAB-8B6A-4E7C-9E39-7DC04656556C.jpeg.3cddfc5aa72624bba454145fa7a4c707.jpeg

Surely that's an oversimplification ? States like Alaska with a lower population will have less and vice versa?

7 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Pop of N.Carolina 10 million, pop of England 55 million. 

17 hours ago, henry d said:

Surely that's an oversimplification ? States like Alaska with a lower population will have less and vice versa?

I mean it’s more about distance. According to google maps I’m roughly 2,785 miles from the last shooting in Stockton California.  The London is only 1000miles away from Ukraine. 2800 miles away from London you find Nigeria or Iraq.  You wouldn’t vote away your freedoms because of what’s happening in Iraq? 60F3FEB9-86A2-4388-8F57-F6D05E10B6A7.jpeg.6809da3e6efdde90d1a3b66ef02ce8e9.jpeg

14 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

So much this.

Nobody on here would start a similar thread on 'gun deaths in Europe' and think that what happens in the UK is comparable to rural France or inner-city Prague.

This, people don’t understand that the difference between Miami FL and Seattle Washington is similar to NewYork and London.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

7 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

You wouldn’t vote away your freedoms because of what’s happening in Iraq? 

Ah, I see what you are saying now!

No, it's in the title; United States of America, I'm sure that you won't argue that no matter what the distance is the constitution remains? Our "constitution" and Iraq's are different and you cannot mean cultural as that has nothing to do with voting away freedoms and I'm sure that a right to life trumps most things. 

10 hours ago, henry d said:

Ah, I see what you are saying now!

No, it's in the title; United States of America, I'm sure that you won't argue that no matter what the distance is the constitution remains? Our "constitution" and Iraq's are different and you cannot mean cultural as that has nothing to do with voting away freedoms and I'm sure that a right to life trumps most things. 

The American constitution is different than most. It is laws that the federal government has to follow, not the people. The federal government was formed so it could levy taxes to raise a standing army to defend the the states rights to govern themselves.  It’s says any regulation not specifically laid out is granted the the states.  I am a Carolinian first, American second. 

Like while in the EU you would be an English first, European second. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

The American constitution is different than most. It is laws that the federal government has to follow, not the people. The federal government was formed so it could levy taxes to raise a standing army to defend the the states rights to govern themselves.  It’s says any regulation not specifically laid out is granted the the states.  I am a Carolinian first, American second. 

Like while in the EU you would be an English first, European second. 

eluding to most people on here that in the 2nd instance ..they are European is a gross insult.......i **** on the EU flag

...Like while in the EU you would be an English first, European second. 

No, I'm British first. It's a cultural thing I was born in England (you must have guessed that as I lived in Scotland for 30+ years) and I only go to Europe for holidays. The first three I am connected to physically the last historically. Unlike Simon I don't feel any need to micturate on any flags. 

14 minutes ago, henry d said:

No, I'm British first. It's a cultural thing I was born in England (you must have guessed that as I lived in Scotland for 30+ years) and I only go to Europe for holidays. The first three I am connected to physically the last historically. Unlike Simon I don't feel any need to micturate on any flags. 

you are quite right henry ...anyway i would need 3 flags to do the job properly ....one to wipe....one to clean and one to buff

i think i consider myself as Norfolk 1st...and English 2nd.............Europe with all them garlic munchers and sausage Nazi's are just not on the cards for me...

On 25/11/2022 at 16:23, ditchman said:

eluding to most people on here that in the 2nd instance ..they are European is a gross insult.......i **** on the EU flag

I got a 7 foot Carolina flag hanging in my living room to remind my son and I where our loyalty lies.  While we are proud to be American we are Carolinian first so if it comes down to choosing sides I will die with a Carolina patch on my arm.  6DDEC4C6-B5C7-4AA5-82AA-2D607C961B61.jpeg.4b0f2e0c7157e0f7f50f812c233cfc74.jpeg

I do live in Chesapeake VA. The shooting happened about a mile from my home. The shooter was not the night manager but a team leader who worked evenings(whatever that means). Its a shame that he did not have help to prevent this tragic waste of human life. For years he had been non communicative and a loaner. Apparently He believed that someone hacked his phone and caused him to get revenge on some co-workers. Ironically The day before I received a renewed permit to carry a concealed weapon.  I haven't carried one for years since I retired but may start again.

2 hours ago, simcgunner said:

I do live in Chesapeake VA. The shooting happened about a mile from my home. The shooter was not the night manager but a team leader who worked evenings(whatever that means). Its a shame that he did not have help to prevent this tragic waste of human life. For years he had been non communicative and a loaner. Apparently He believed that someone hacked his phone and caused him to get revenge on some co-workers. Ironically The day before I received a renewed permit to carry a concealed weapon.  I haven't carried one for years since I retired but may start again.

As you say, it's a tragic waste, but of innocent lives. Thanks for your input and be safe 👍