Wash Barrier,

derbyduck

16 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

We are going to have to get into bed with the birdy boys to stop this one lads ,what a disaster it will be if it goes through !

The various groups around the Wash opposed against it in  2008 , look like they will have to do it all over again , GOOD LUCK with the fight they will encounter :good:

Personally, I believe it's a non-starter.  There have been ongoing similar tidal barrier projects in Wales for some years now, none of which have come to fruition. In my opinion it's just another example of someone jumping on the "Green Energy" gravy train to get financial input to their business.

Doesn't mean we can be complacent though.

Edited by Diabolo

19 minutes ago, Penelope said:

No, not really, the environmental damage will be enormous.

I am not picking a side with this proposal as I don't know enough about it, but the environmental damage of not doing these types of schemes is an existential threat to our survival. It all depends on the energy mix, of course, but the great thing with this is it's predictable and regular. 

Somehow we need to take an overview at a UK level and look at what can be delivered when and at what cost (including environmental) and choose the best range of schemes to meet our needs. Not sure how and if that will happen. 

27 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am not picking a side with this proposal as I don't know enough about it, but the environmental damage of not doing these types of schemes is an existential threat to our survival. It all depends on the energy mix, of course, but the great thing with this is it's predictable and regular. 

Somehow we need to take an overview at a UK level and look at what can be delivered when and at what cost (including environmental) and choose the best range of schemes to meet our needs. Not sure how and if that will happen. 

It will harm the largest estuarine habitats in the UK and one of the largest in Europe.

16 minutes ago, Penelope said:

It will harm the largest estuarine habitats in the UK and one of the largest in Europe.

So will rising sea levels. I am guessing the habitat needs some protection to survive? 

We will need to make some judgement at a national level. Maybe the Severn estuary barrage would be a better solution? 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

So will rising sea levels. I am guessing the habitat needs some protection to survive? 

We will need to make some judgement at a national level. Maybe the Severn estuary barrage would be a better solution? 

The surge tide of 2013 (biggest for 60 years) only came up about a third of the way of the sea wall on Holbeach Marsh, I went and saw it.  I would suggest that all the countries complaining they are going to be submerged by rising sea levels build one similar. My house is 9 feet below sea level less than a mile and a half from the sea wall and I have no worries about flooding by the sea. It's another project fear to fuel the green agenda gravy train, as I have pointed out.

http://www.washbarrier.org/index.html

Here is the official website. 

And his included feasibility study from 2012: 

https://repository.tudelft.nl/islandora/object/uuid:2124eacb-36d6-4dea-a696-771d07ec07ec/?collection=research

The local conservation groups are already all over this, it'll be interesting to hear the full statements from the various wash groups over the course of time.

Edited by Big Mat

15 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

http://www.washbarrier.org/index.html

Here is the official website. 

Is that the same company though?  Peter Dawe runs that company, and I can't see any serious financiers wanting to invest in a scheme run by him, here's an article on one of his other "projects"

Brexit Party candidate charging up to £100,000 a person for place at post-apocalyptic farm | The Scotsman

7 minutes ago, Diabolo said:

Is that the same company though?  Peter Dawe runs that company, and I can't see any serious financiers wanting to invest in a scheme run by him, here's an article on one of his other "projects"

Brexit Party candidate charging up to £100,000 a person for place at post-apocalyptic farm | The Scotsman

From what I can see, its his idea with the plans being fronted by Centre Port Holdings Ltd, which has recieved funding from Centrica.

I'm even more convinced it's a non-starter then! I mean, just look at the website, hardly professional for this day and age, links to a non-existent twitter account. I think the RSPB representative on The Farming Program was right when he said the whole thing looks like something done by contestants in the early days of "The Apprentice". 

Looked up the company information at companies' house for "The Wash Tidal Barrier Corporation PLC" (as listed on the website). Total net assets...two quid!🤣

THE WASH TIDAL BARRIER CORPORATION PLC filing history - Find and update company information - GOV.UK (company-information.service.gov.uk)

53 minutes ago, Diabolo said:

I expect Centrica can afford to give them a bung though, ordinary shares valued at £364,627,475.21 if indeed they did. Could be FAKE NEWS!

They have only officially come on board in the last couple of days. 

This is the first article I saw about it on 19th.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23136373.hunstanton-skegness-barrage-port-plan-revealed/?ref=fbshr

Quite how it rejuvenates Boston, Lynn and Wisbech I don't know.

Edited by Big Mat

im very much on the fence regards this............the fishing (shimp and cockle industry) out of lynn is down to a few boats....i would like to know what excactly will the lagoon will be like once enclosed.........

EDIT.....i think the biggest problem they will face is the silting up of the lagoon..........iknow how much silt the river brings down off the fens as i was involved in the dredging on the 2 docks at lynn....there is a permanant dreger there...the silt builds up very quickly...and that is just the stuff that lazerly finds it way thro the lock gates....god knows how much stuff goes down the cut every tide..

Edited by ditchman

From the article quoted:  "Power company Centrica has signed an expression of interest in electricity from the scheme."

That ain't securing an investment.  As soon as they did the most basic due diligence on Centre Port they'd shut the door on them. It's laughable.

The same article: "Centre Port is now trying to raise £5m for a feasibility study."  Their hundred quid of current assets won't go far.  Shall we have a whip round? 

On 23/11/2022 at 12:30, oowee said:

12 modern 2500MW nuclear power stations (totaling 30,000MW) taking up 100ha each (total 1200ha) would do a lot less damage than just one of these and the paltry 300MW it would produce, and supply all the baseload for UK electricity use, with wind, solar and gas for peaking.

Edited by Stonepark