Winter of discontent.

oowee

On 14/12/2022 at 23:18, 7daysinaweek said:

Cheers ph, a stepwise approach to completing a minor episode of care.

That would be some bladder that! 😓

Attendance just booking into AED with minor ailment, minimal treatment and discharge with no admission required, cost £250

Gp 10 minute consulation £45

Walk in centre/Urgent care centre visit £75

District nurse home visit £75

Them costs soon stack up for the old nhs.

That's about what it costs in Ireland and people pay it happily enough 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

That's about what it costs in Ireland and people pay it happily enough 

I’m sure sure about “happily enough” … they simply pay it or go without. 

Seeing a good friend’s Aunt discharged home with a terminal illness, with district nurses visiting once a fortnight, and family expected to manage all the end of life care, was an eye opener to their system. 

Working in social care we constantly have people, often who live within 15-20 mins of their parents, demanding we provide care at the drop of a hat, because it’s too inconvenient for them to do it themselves, and they have to go to work etc. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’m sure sure about “happily enough” … they simply pay it or go without. 

I'll bet it stops time wasters. 

Seeing a good friend’s Aunt discharged home with a terminal illness, with district nurses visiting once a fortnight, and family expected to manage all the end of life care, was an eye opener to their system. 

Which shows the system is far from perfect 

Working in social care we constantly have people, often who live within 15-20 mins of their parents, demanding we provide care at the drop of a hat, because it’s too inconvenient for them to do it themselves, and they have to go to work etc

Is that because they've  no choice and they have to work, or to lazy to care for their own parents?

Talking to my S-in -L today and her dad is in India, he's been having some issues, had x-rays, turns out it was kidney stones, put on a drip, few other bits over a couple of days, the cost was £85 with no waiting, sounds like better service than we get.

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Working in social care we constantly have people, often who live within 15-20 mins of their parents, demanding we provide care at the drop of a hat, because it’s too inconvenient for them to do it themselves, and they have to go to work etc. 

Somebody I used to work with though it would be a good idea to become a volunteer car driver for the local hospital when he retired

He didn't stay long, he soon came to realise a lot of the people he was driving around were just taking him for a mug.

If its free and its available some people will always try it on

Waste in the NHS, over the last 12 months I have on numerous occasions had the wrong prescription put through to my local chemist by the staff on reception and the doctor, all were returned to the chemist, I did ask what happened to these prescribed drugs and was told they end up in the bin, how true that is I don't know but what a waste if true

Edited by old'un

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Waste in the NHS, over the last 12 months I have on numerous occasions had the wrong prescription put through to my local chemist by the staff on reception and the doctor, all were returned to the chemist, I did ask what happened to these prescribed drugs and was told they end up in the bin, how true that is I don't know but what a waste if true

I thought a lot of chemists sent these abroad but to third world countries, I could be mistaken but I recall reading the spaces between coke bottles were packed to transport them

1 hour ago, old'un said:

As soon as the medication leaves the chemist or hospital regardless of the fact it is unopened if you return it, it has to be destroyed total madness and a waste of money. My Mrs worked in a chemist for 29 years the other thing that made her mad was that some people had the same amount of prescription every week regardless of if they used it and if they passed away its not uncommon for bin liners full of medication all not opened was returned for destruction it must run into millions of pounds for wasted medication just because some are just too stupid or lazy to let the pharmacy know they have more than enough.