Goretex vs others

mgsontour

Good article,

Being that most my hobbies over the years have been outside, and I hate being wet, I've spent hours researching 'waterproof' clothing.

The biggest lie, is that they are called 'waterproof'. None of them are truly waterproof and there is nothing that'll keep you dry for an extended period of time in constant rain (heavy rain is variable depending on the activity, say stood in a field vs 70mph on a motorbike). That being said however, it is true, 'you get what you pay for', and I find Goretex (regardless of level) is an incredibly reliable brand, so if in doubt, that is a great benchmark. Being on the coast, I've also had a fair few Musto's over the years and again, also, a really solid benchmark. If you're budget is limited, then buy the best non 'waterproof' coat etc that you can afford, and use a cheap £20 waterproof over layer that packs down real small, can get them from tesco's, go outdoors etc, they're actually really good, but you do get hot if moving about.

However, with all that said and done, I've learnt a few things, avoid washing waterproof clothing, high temperatures and detergent ruin waterproof materials, you're better off rinsing them off in the shower with cold water. Nikawax, or similar is required, even if you're topping up the water resistance, it's a good product and works, but needs to be used regularly to be effective. Lastly, take a change of clothes if rain is forecast, you'll likely end up wet no matter how good your gear is with the exception of the Everest expedition type stuff.

15 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

Good article,

Being that most my hobbies over the years have been outside, and I hate being wet, I've spent hours researching 'waterproof' clothing.

The biggest lie, is that they are called 'waterproof'. None of them are truly waterproof and there is nothing that'll keep you dry for an extended period of time in constant rain (heavy rain is variable depending on the activity, say stood in a field vs 70mph on a motorbike). That being said however, it is true, 'you get what you pay for', and I find Goretex (regardless of level) is an incredibly reliable brand, so if in doubt, that is a great benchmark. Being on the coast, I've also had a fair few Musto's over the years and again, also, a really solid benchmark. If you're budget is limited, then buy the best non 'waterproof' coat etc that you can afford, and use a cheap £20 waterproof over layer that packs down real small, can get them from tesco's, go outdoors etc, they're actually really good, but you do get hot if moving about.

However, with all that said and done, I've learnt a few things, avoid washing waterproof clothing, high temperatures and detergent ruin waterproof materials, you're better off rinsing them off in the shower with cold water. Nikawax, or similar is required, even if you're topping up the water resistance, it's a good product and works, but needs to be used regularly to be effective. Lastly, take a change of clothes if rain is forecast, you'll likely end up wet no matter how good your gear is with the exception of the Everest expedition type stuff.

Some good points particularly don’t wash. On really wet days on the hill most of us wear two waterproof layers as almost the only way to keep the rain out. Equally important are the under layers that wick moisture away from the skin, I.e. sweat!

Being ex Para where the wearing of any type of waterproofing is a huge No No I've learnt to adapt. 

Goretex except in boots has never worked for me anyway.

I currently have 2 DPM goretex suits hung in my garage, they work fine there.

I've always bought the best quality windproof I could get, before that a standard issue Para Smock washed it throughly with tech wash, get all the starch and stiffness out till completely supple and rinsed in nixwax softshell proof.  

In bad weather I wear a further windproof underneath plus any layers I need.

My current set up is a Snugpak windproof shirt, no longer made but occasionally available 2nd hand but with the fleece removed. On top a Sarma windproof from Varusteleka in Finland but with a couple of mods of my own.

I would be happy in any conditions except sat in below freezing for a long period. Below freezing I'd put on a Snugpak sleeka underneath. Although the jacket gets wet, it drys quickly and the rain never gets through.

Many many years ago in boots DMS and puttees we would occasionally wear plastic bags on our feet inside the boots to try and prevent, foot rot, trench foot, frostbite and other nasties. Not always effective but I've always had good feet anyway.

18 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Being ex Para where the wearing of any type of waterproofing is a huge No No I've learnt to adapt. 

Goretex except in boots has never worked for me anyway.

I currently have 2 DPM goretex suits hung in my garage, they work fine there.

I've always bought the best quality windproof I could get, before that a standard issue Para Smock washed it throughly with tech wash, get all the starch and stiffness out till completely supple and rinsed in nixwax softshell proof.  

In bad weather I wear a further windproof underneath plus any layers I need.

My current set up is a Snugpak windproof shirt, no longer made but occasionally available 2nd hand but with the fleece removed. On top a Sarma windproof from Varusteleka in Finland but with a couple of mods of my own.

I would be happy in any conditions except sat in below freezing for a long period. Below freezing I'd put on a Snugpak sleeka underneath. Although the jacket gets wet, it drys quickly and the rain never gets through.

Many many years ago in boots DMS and puttees we would occasionally wear plastic bags on our feet inside the boots to try and prevent, foot rot, trench foot, frostbite and other nasties. Not always effective but I've always had good feet anyway.

Interesting reply, as some of your kit is unavailable and assuming you lost all your outdoor kit, what would you replace it with today (socks, trousers, tops ) ? Cheers

Paramo for general stuff and on formal days Laksen, these are my choice.

The old story applies  "  you get what you pay for ", but at over £350 new for a Paramo and £450  new for a new Laksen, I expect as certain standard.

As for military stuff my " well informed pal " says it made to a standard and a price, so decide for yourself !

17 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Interesting reply, as some of your kit is unavailable and assuming you lost all your outdoor kit, what would you replace it with today (socks, trousers, tops ) ? Cheers

Outer, I'd buy again the Särmä windproof from Varusteleka still available in Finland and comparably in quality to anything found over here. Under a T shirt in the new armour mesh, like the ones on Amazon sold by Viper (a cheap brand) with a waistcoat probably by    again a snugpak

Edited by Centrepin
The box jumps and adds spaces and doesn't let me type properly

RAB waistcoat. Brigedale socks over the medical compression knee socks I have to wear. Barbour wax cotton gaiters. Danner boots, still available. I favour karrimor walking trousers with lycra in the fabric but none of those silly zippy cargo pockets or just plain cotton trousers like chinos.

Had to do the reply in two parts as i seem to have a fault on either my phone or the forum 

52 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

RAB waistcoat. Brigedale socks over the medical compression knee socks I have to wear. Barbour wax cotton gaiters. Danner boots, still available. I favour karrimor walking trousers with lycra in the fabric but none of those silly zippy cargo pockets or just plain cotton trousers like chinos.

Had to do the reply in two parts as i seem to have a fault on either my phone or the forum 

Cheers for the concise reply, I'll peruse

If it’s going to be a biblical downpour….Being precise then it’s cotton sock liners with light running pants and wool shooting socks over. Sealand pants, Brandecosse boots . Top half is anti wicking vest, cotton shirt, jumper, regatta light waterproof and bib and brace danish army goretex trousers and the same goretex jacket over the lot. It keeps water out on the hill except the obvious cuffs and neck.

18 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

If it’s going to be a biblical downpour….Being precise then it’s cotton sock liners with light running pants and wool shooting socks over. Sealand pants, Brandecosse boots . Top half is anti wicking vest, cotton shirt, jumper, regatta light waterproof and bib and brace danish army goretex trousers and the same goretex jacket over the lot. It keeps water out on the hill except the obvious cuffs and neck.

I do use the same army goretex set-up on the shoots that are a prone to ripping gear on barbed wire and thick brambles