Best overalls for welding

Essex Keeper

A leather apron and decent gloves / boots is ideal. In the past, I had a blob of weld fell on my foot, went straight through the top and stuck to my foot. Couldn't get in into a bucket of water fast enough. I also tend to weld with whatever I am wearing in the garage. I also set fire to a T shirt I was welding in. Only when I removed my helmet, I noticed an area of the shirt had disappeared and I had a patch of burnt hair.

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

A leather apron and decent gloves / boots is ideal. In the past, I had a blob of weld fell on my foot, went straight through the top and stuck to my foot. Couldn't get in into a bucket of water fast enough. I also tend to weld with whatever I am wearing in the garage. I also set fire to a T shirt I was welding in. Only when I removed my helmet, I noticed an area of the shirt had disappeared and I had a patch of burnt hair.

This ^ 

Can't beat the sound & smell of a welding splatter cooking in your ear while under a car welding it ..takes me back 😂 lost many a good hoodie / jumper to the mighty mig welder & rotten car 

You can't rely solely on any sort of clothing barrier.  Weld splatters will get through. I have fireproof overalls.   It all depends on what you are welding,  how you are welding and the general setup. Clean metal along with the correct amperage helps but if there is weld splash you need to over shield the weld to deflect the splatter. Long leather gauntlets,  welding hood, spats over boots.  It ain't any fun getting a weld blob get through a lace hole or anywhere inside you're boot.  AND as above, Can't beat the sound & smell of a welding splatter cooking in your ear while under a car welding. Can't you just smell the smoky bacon smell and hear the crackling of ear wax.!!