Moderator .silencer. options and advice.

B B

, I have never seen an air rifle silencer . but i have had many of the small parker hale .22 mods in the past with the stripable layout screw on end and baffle plates alignment tool etc.  Are they like the above?

Any cheap but quiet mods you can recommend i can modify practically perhaps.

On 05/02/2023 at 08:03, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, for what rifle? screw on or slip on ? , Ah I see you have the Hatsan 1000 X in .25 , if it has that plastic front sight you would need to take off and get a slip on silencer made, there's a few people on the AGF make them, 

Its not for the hatsan like you say its got the cocking aid sight thing that sort of looks like a moderator but pretty sure it offers no quietening at all with all the spring noise i will just leave that as it is.

I like the Hatsan .25 that much i decided to buy a PCP in .25 and got a Kral NP02. I was expecting it to be much louder than it is, but not sure now. I Took a silencer off a Hatsan .177 PCP that has a big hole in it about 7 MM.

Not sure of make but it only slightly quietens both the hatsan or the NP02.

I have looked online and it seems the A&M marksman is claimed to be quiet and they do it in .25 i am just not sure any of these PCPs need mods, But all i have to go on is my mod off the hatsan .177 so no real yardstick.

Nearly every single video review on any PCP air rifle i have seen talks about Barks and the need for a Moderator ETC. The difference with the mod i have on or off on either rifle is what i would discribe as slight diference nothing thats going to empty a field of quary or even freak rats out in barns.

Will the use of a popular and quiet moderator like the A&M marksman be clearly quiet or will it yet again be barely noticable.? .

About the only air gun i ever knew needed a moderator was a CO2 Pistol now that was audible , i expected the NP02 to be loudish with the shortish barrel but not sure why but to me it seems ever so slightly louder than the longer barreled hatsan but its slight as i mentioned before.

Any feedback on mods on air guns.

2 minutes ago, B B said:

Its not for the hatsan like you say its got the cocking aid sight thing that sort of looks like a moderator but pretty sure it offers no quietening at all with all the spring noise i will just leave that as it is.

I like the Hatsan .25 that much i decided to buy a PCP in .25 and got a Kral NP02. I was expecting it to be much louder than it is, but not sure now. I Took a silencer off a Hatsan .177 PCP that has a big hole in it about 7 MM.

Not sure of make but it only slightly quietens both the hatsan or the NP02.

I have looked online and it seems the A&M marksman is claimed to be quiet and they do it in .25 i am just not sure any of these PCPs need mods, But all i have to go on is my mod off the hatsan .177 so no real yardstick.

Nearly every single video review on any PCP air rifle i have seen talks about Barks and the need for a Moderator ETC. The difference with the mod i have on or off on either rifle is what i would discribe as slight diference nothing thats going to empty a field of quary or even freak rats out in barns.

Will the use of a popular and quiet moderator like the A&M marksman be clearly quiet or will it yet again be barely noticable.? .

About the only air gun i ever knew needed a moderator was a CO2 Pistol now that was audible , i expected the NP02 to be loudish with the shortish barrel but not sure why but to me it seems ever so slightly louder than the longer barreled hatsan but its slight as i mentioned before.

Any feedback on mods on air guns.

Hello, I only have one air rifle now ,a FX Verminator MK 1 22, the mod came off a HW PCP and it's very quite, I had one made on a HW 110 that I sold to a PW member and that was made by a chap off the AGF forum,. matt975, called the MWSS, made to order and specification  , very quite, there's a U tube video, Matt would know , with any PCP with a good mod your only hear the hammer click, hope you get sorted, 👍

17 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I only have one air rifle now ,a FX Verminator MK 1 22, the mod came off a HW PCP and it's very quite, I had one made on a HW 110 that I sold to a PW member and that was made by a chap off the AGF forum,. matt975, called the MWSS, made to order and specification  , very quite, there's a U tube video, Matt would know , with any PCP with a good mod your only hear the hammer click, hope you get sorted, 👍

Sounds like my issues are down to a poor moderator off the Hatsan PCP i have.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, is that a .25 screw thread barrel ? What silencer have you on there now ?

Yes the Kral has a half inch thread on it, but as for what moderator silencer whatever i really have no idea it is black and has a slightly domed end, it has seams but its not easily strip able . Looking through it its got stuff around the tube but the chamber if you like is way bigger than the end cap hole which is at least 7mm probably 8mm.

10 minutes ago, B B said:

Yes the Kral has a half inch thread on it, but as for what moderator silencer whatever i really have no idea it is black and has a slightly domed end, it has seams but its not easily strip able . Looking through it its got stuff around the tube but the chamber if you like is way bigger than the end cap hole which is at least 7mm probably 8mm.

Hello, ok I will try and find out on the AGF what other members with the same rifle are using,

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok I will try and find out on the AGF what other members with the same rifle are using,

Hello, on the few replies it seems the .25 is not a general size for silencer manufactures , like gameking the HW .25 was recommended but might be quite expensive compared to one made by an AGF member, 

• 2 weeks later...

I got a weirauch for the hatsan 177 its a bit quieter than the old silencer was but even without is not that loud.  The .25 NP02 is again not too bad without but putting the old mod that came with the hatsan on its a bit quieter.  Going to get a A£M Marksman its purportedly quiet and under 380 in .25 so i will go that route then its done i suppose. I am still a little unsure about the real world merits of mods on PCP airguns, sure they knock off a few DBa perhaps but if it all adds up to that much in the field regardless of whats said at this stage sorry i am just not convinced. May be i got quite guns i honestly dont know.

22 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Maybe your a bit deaf ? 

I mean that in a respectful manner .as my hearing isn't the best  either and often miss stuff my shooting mate can hear.

Thats true motorbikes and shooting have taken their toll, i remember about ten years ago we had a 2008 Peugeot 807 people carrier when kids were small it had a beeping warning for the electric sliding back doors the kids always moaned about it. I  never once heard it.

Had a striker in .22 and it wasn't very loud at all, possibly not worth getting a silencer for really after 20 yards or so. Impact made more noise. That was noticed next to and away from the gun. 

If you can get the weird plastic shroud off then a slip on would do, may need to drill it out ton8mm or so if its not wide enough although I suspect it would be fine. 

On 19/02/2023 at 15:49, B B said:

I got a weirauch for the hatsan 177 its a bit quieter than the old silencer was but even without is not that loud.  The .25 NP02 is again not too bad without but putting the old mod that came with the hatsan on its a bit quieter.  Going to get a A£M Marksman its purportedly quiet and under 380 in .25 so i will go that route then its done i suppose. I am still a little unsure about the real world merits of mods on PCP airguns, sure they knock off a few DBa perhaps but if it all adds up to that much in the field regardless of whats said at this stage sorry i am just not convinced. May be i got quite guns i honestly dont know.

Hello, with all the PCPs I have used from the last 20 years have benefited from a decent silencer, your limited with a .25 , let us know how you get on with the A and M 👍

43 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

How did you get on ? , Don't forget if you buy online RFDs will not post direct, is the A and M screw thread UNF , the HW .25 will be very quite, what air rifle again ? 

Not got the A&M yet still looking at my options, it looks good watching reviews on phone but might get something else yet. The hogan decimeeter looks madginaly cheaper shorter and still quietens well looking at figures.

The real world differences as in what you can acctualy diferentiate audibly one to another on these mods seems pretty minimal from what i can tell. But the HW mod on the hatsan is noticably quieter than the whatever mod it came with is.

.25 is a Kral NP02 its audible but again not ear splittingly load, may be coming from ceasefires even rim fires  i am higher up the sound acceptance threshold some what.    Was shooting rats facing into a yorkshire boarded cattle shed  the other day and even with the stock mussle brake thing on the kral.25 the other rats seemed oblivious just ten yards away. the smack hitting rats was equaly load as the report on firing.

I tell you loudest air rifle i ever heard is crossman 2240 CO2 pistol its heaps louder than the unmodded hatsan AT44 or the NP02 .25.

1 hour ago, B B said:

Not got the A&M yet still looking at my options, it looks good watching reviews on phone but might get something else yet. The hogan decimeeter looks madginaly cheaper shorter and still quietens well looking at figures.

The real world differences as in what you can acctualy diferentiate audibly one to another on these mods seems pretty minimal from what i can tell. But the HW mod on the hatsan is noticably quieter than the whatever mod it came with is.

.25 is a Kral NP02 its audible but again not ear splittingly load, may be coming from ceasefires even rim fires  i am higher up the sound acceptance threshold some what.    Was shooting rats facing into a yorkshire boarded cattle shed  the other day and even with the stock mussle brake thing on the kral.25 the other rats seemed oblivious just ten yards away. the smack hitting rats was equaly load as the report on firing.

I tell you loudest air rifle i ever heard is crossman 2240 CO2 pistol its heaps louder than the unmodded hatsan AT44 or the NP02 .25.

Hello, I know of the NP 02 as I tried one in 177 but it was to heavy for me as a walk about air rifle, that was quite a few years back, now it is all shooting with a tripod, 🙄, the Hogan comes out well on decibels same as the new HW and the new MWSS made to order by Matt on the AGF, the NP 02 I tried had one of Matts old MK 1 silencers on and still quite, as happens I started ratting many many years ago with a rat catcher , this had a fitted mod , but the Co2 👎, I still use my old FX Vermy 22 for ratting this last 10 years, topped with a MK 1 Photon, it's very quite, I given the silencer ,  just looked it's a SAK for air rifle , to be honest from what I've read the Hogan looks decent and quite and as you mention cheaper , still it's all down to personnel choice,