Gwp or gsp

Root

GWP's aren't for the faint hearted, especially inexperienced however a credit to any day in the field, or home. In my experience will point game on ground already "worked" you do have to put full trust in them, they will reward you. They are real characters but not entirely content with sitting on a peg, give them work and the rewards are endless (ish)

VideoCapture_20230114-184114.jpg

4 hours ago, DannyS said:

Are there any biddable HPR's? Only seem to hear about how they aren't for the faint of heart

Viszla's and GSP's are supposedly the most biddable.

From my understanding a GWP isn't just a GSP with a long coat. 

Someone saying they would take a pup from either breed, you would hope, knows the differences etc. 

I have shot over both types and owned a smooth coated who I saved as a 10 month old dog and who became a serious killing machine and never told a lie. Because I like smooth aired dogs my choice would be that way but the wire haired I have shot over have also been as good, it is all down to the owner and trainer as they can be hard headed and require a lot of time and patience. 

Mole backing up my comments  on hard heaed attitude .... "did you call me for somthing?"

and in full flight over a five bar gate.

Photos from photos so not good quality.

001.JPG

002.JPG

20 years ago used to work a wired German pointer, I didn't own him,  but the man that did own him, wasn't doing much shooting and asked me to bring him out. Very smart,  very headstrong,  but serious dog for finding pheasants,  rock steady on point.  In my opinion a good honest dog.Bear in mind pheasants would have been scarce enough. But he did have a bit of a hard mouth...A few years ago I got  a dropper, father was a big strong black German short haired pointer  that was imported from Germany ×  mother was a small Springer bitch.  Coco turned out very much like the father in looks. Again very smart,  very loyal.  Brilliant retriever, land and water,  serious duck dog,  and point woodcock and pheasants.  He was a  good addition to my "pack ". I had to put him down this summer 2 years ago.  Won't go into details.  But I very much miss him.

I purchased my first GWP back in August last year from a shooting estate in Leominster, and decided on a bitch pup and named her Winnie, and had a choice from a litter of 11 pups.

I had been looking for one, for a while, but due to covid, the prices asked for pups was sky high.

I have ESS and trained them to a very good standard no problem.

As Walker570 says their attitude is definitely somewhat different (GWP) and her basic training is progressing well but at a slower pace compared with the spaniels, but I’m in rush.

She is definitely a character, and in time will be a good working dog.

Will update at a later date.

BB14C0D1-D358-4833-9CBE-75A32AE5BA7E.png

D5812CC7-A8AE-4EAC-8F71-0B80942A569C.jpeg

6A7FB56F-80D2-4928-A8AE-9A2AB6648F23.jpeg