Just unfortunate .......

Walker570

• 3 months later...

I remember going on a driven day on a local farm that was run by a wildfowling club syndicate, first drive a big cock bird comes out of the wood & flies down the line, three guys shoot at it & miss, it comes past me & i lift the gun to it then drop the gun of my shoulder & let it go. Shoot captain says "Why didnt you shoot that screamer?" i replied "Cos it was less than ten yards away & about ten feet off the deck". I would have blown it to pieces if i had hit it. Then the duck drive was worse, like low flying bumblebees. I didnt rejoin that syndicate.

It seems to be a fashion to have heavy chokes & big loads, people have forgotten that you dont need them. Read the words of Gough Thomas, what he wrote about shotgun ballistics still rings true. If you can read that is.

37 minutes ago, Keith 66 said:

It seems to be a fashion to have heavy chokes & big loads, people have forgotten that you dont need them. Read the words of Gough Thomas, what he wrote about shotgun ballistics still rings true. If you can read that is.

Very true! 
Even the last sentence.

On 20/02/2023 at 17:27, enfieldspares said:

33 gram English #5 is not excessive? Surely is it not the old 1 1 /8 ounce load of that same shot size as my father's generation shooting in the 1960s used? Or is it Eley Maximum 1 3/16 ounce equivalent? I can't do the fraction calculation.

Matone did specify partridge.

On 27/02/2023 at 10:58, Smudger687 said:

You say that now, but if you've paid good money for a day and you've blanked on a drive or two, and you're now on the last drive and all the birds are just out of range, you may end up re-evaluating your commitment to taking only the most sure shots! A heavy cartridge may well tear the bird up, but it's as humane a kill as you could hope for. 

I should state in advance that I have little to no interest in driven shooting, but my own (unpopular) opinion on this matter is to use whatever cartridge you feel comfortable with. If that means 36g 4's and tight chokes, fill your boots, and if it tears the birds up, so what? Putting food on the table isn't the point of a driven day. 

Regardless of the price of a day,or indeed if it's f.o.c. we all owe it to the animal,the keeper and ourselves,to be humane.smashing birds continuously is not on,not is your kind of attitude towards it.jmho.

21 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

Regardless of the price of a day,or indeed if it's f.o.c. we all owe it to the animal,the keeper and ourselves,to be humane.smashing birds continuously is not on,not is your kind of attitude towards it.jmho.

My attitude is not on? When I've already made clear that I don't do driven days?

The average shooter on a driven day may take a brace of birds home, but they will have shot more birds than this. In other words, they're killing birds they have no intention of consuming, and it's therefore an exercise of target shooting on live animals. This is a fact.

Either recognise that driven game shooting is not a humane activity and stop doing it, or accept its innate cruelty and enjoy the day however you choose to. You, however, want to have it both ways. Pick one.

Edited by Smudger687

2 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

I pick three actually.run/keeper a shoot,take driven days and enjoy rough shooting.what I don't do,is slag another branch of shooting,just because I don't like it.smacks of hipocrisy and another 'cut' to shootings future.

>I say enjoy a driven day however you like with whatever cartridge you like

>This is interpreted as slagging off another branch of shooting. 

This forum is cancer. 

On 27/02/2023 at 10:58, Smudger687 said:

You say that now, but if you've paid good money for a day and you've blanked on a drive or two, and you're now on the last drive and all the birds are just out of range, you may end up re-evaluating your commitment to taking only the most sure shots! A heavy cartridge may well tear the bird up, but it's as humane a kill as you could hope for. 

I should state in advance that I have little to no interest in driven shooting, but my own (unpopular) opinion on this matter is to use whatever cartridge you feel comfortable with. If that means 36g 4's and tight chokes, fill your boots, and if it tears the birds up, so what? Putting food on the table isn't the point of a driven day. 

The very worst hing in shooting is a poor sportsman.

6 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Ah. I'd be reluctant for #5 on partridge as the pattern isn't dense enough if you take them far out.

Hull's Partridge Cartridge is 32g of 5.5 shot. Seems a bit rich for me, I take 28g 6s out for partridge and haven't ever had a problem. 

1 hour ago, Smudger687 said:

>I say enjoy a driven day however you like with whatever cartridge you like

>This is interpreted as slagging off another branch of shooting. 

This forum is cancer. 

Don't think that that is right.

In saying that driven shooting is naturally cruel and as cruelty is defined as the indifference to suffering, it follows that the participants are not a very pleasant bunch and to hold such an opinion makes one wonder if the holder has an agenda.

What such thinking does undeniably reflect is that there is some toxic posts.

7 hours ago, Smudger687 said:

The average shooter on a driven day may take a brace of birds home, but they will have shot more birds than this. In other words, they're killing birds they have no intention of consuming, and it's therefore an exercise of target shooting on live animals. This is a fact.

I never did. I'd take as many as I was allowed. Twelve oftentimes. Where my son beats there's never any surplus. The beaters get first choice and the guns divide up what's left after that.