old knife display

charlie b

can any one tell me who made the knives that were displayed in sport shop windows in the 1960s i rememer drooling over them in the top sport in chester le street but was never allowed to buy a new one dad was to strickt however i allways had an older 5 inch bowie that i kept hidden most lads of my age then carried one and thought it was normal they were never used as weapons how ever there were a few accidents playing split the kipper i was about 13 at the time 

Knives.They were mostly cheap knives with tin handles that usually fell off. Knives were my obsession I had 6 sheath knives and I got quite good at throwing them at about 15 feet at a door on a old building.was out one day throwing them I looked round and stood behind me was a Bobby.He said I’d better take them off you I was gutted. Also had a switch blade.

21 minutes ago, dipper said:

Knives.They were mostly cheap knives with tin handles that usually fell off. Knives were my obsession I had 6 sheath knives and I got quite good at throwing them at about 15 feet at a door on a old building.was out one day throwing them I looked round and stood behind me was a Bobby.He said I’d better take them off you I was gutted. Also had a switch blade.

some of them knives were totally rubbish.....a decent knife at that time was usually pre-war soligen one ....but they were like hens teeth....my mates brother had a blacksmith made sheath knife...it was in a different league...and wiked sharp and never used for throwing.................i was sent to Jersey on holiday one year and bought a full set of throwing knives..(i bought 2 sets ) one for me and one for my mate next door (Titch).....there were 6 in a set...christ we had some fun....really got good at it as well

i thought they might of been decent quality with leather washer handles and horn handles i had a fairbern sykes that was matt black first time i stuck it in a tree the first inch or so snapped off i then did some school boy metal work on it re ground a point tried to aneal it got it wrong and snapped the rest of the blade