Off to the Fens alone!

TIGHTCHOKE

I tried to get others interested, I really did.

But, I ventured in to the Fens alone.

Just for fun, the A1 south was closed, but I only found out when stuck in the traffic jam to the A47 and the diversion which of course, EVERYONE was using. Then the long drag along the A47 to lose the vast majority at the first junction at Thorpe wood.

Across town and finally leaving Peterborough and running south towards Pondersbridge, I started to hope the weather might hold.

Upon arrival, the gate was open, the farmer had been moving stuff around and the last part of the track was impassable to my small Ford shooting wagon.

Managed to turn the car around and carried the lofting poles to my favoured spot.

Set them up and spent the next 20 minutes or so clearing lots of low and fallen branches.

Went for a wander along the length of the spinney every now and again, that moved birds out and gave me some shooting.

I recovered 7 lovely fat wood pigeons, would have been more but my usual dog didn't come along either. Luckily I managed to select the WPs from the stock doves.

The rain started at 17:30 exactly, so I gave in, emptied the gun and placed it in its sleeve and put it in the car.

I returned to disassemble the two sets of lofting poles and took them back to the car.

Set off for home and bumped in to an Amazon driver looking for a delivery, directed him and continued home.

Got in, opened a beer (Fursty Ferret) and started the curry, sat here at the computer with Michael Palin raving about Brazil and wondering if I will stop at one beer?

Hope you are getting out there amongst the WPs.

back in the old days...funnily enough some of the best pheasant shooting was to be had in the flat fens.....the birds were more wild...light in weight and used to fly high and like hell............

think there are a couple of wild bird shoots left..

Just getting to your woods was an achievement in itself T C , not a bad little afternoon and it gave you peace of mind knowing what was about .

How the weather can change in a single day ? , Friday was one of the roughest days we have had all Winter , we never had a days shoot where the weather was half as bad as it was on Friday and Saturday morning started of with frozen snow and very , very cold , then if by magic the sun came out during the morning and by dinner it was quite warm , well warmer than it had been , I went out just to have a look and one wood near our rape fields did hold a lot of Pigeons and after putting them all out in the hour or so I was walking around I didn't see any coming back , might be worth a look later on during the week when it is expected to warm up a bit .

THANKS for posting.     MM

Well done Dave for getting out,bagging a few and sharing that with us. It`s not about the numbers, just getting out and enjoying it.

My little wood is now devoid of pigeons that were feeding on ivy berries so that wonderful spreader bar that you very kindly made me for the top of the lofting poles will be put on hold until next autumn, although it may well come into use whilst decoying later if I can determine a decent sitty tree adjacent to my hide.

I am very fortunate that my shooting is all within a five mile radius, so no traffic problems here, but I feel your frustration.

We`ve now got pigeons feeding on the rape so my next short trip out will be in the week when hopefully I can get a few, as my latest trips have not got into double figures, not that that`s worried me at all. If I`m honest, large bags don`t interest me and the thought of carrying back a load of say 50 or so, whilst it may be good shooting, my ageing bones no longer can suffer such burdens. However, if I can drive to my hide after harvest, that may be a totally different matter !!

OB

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

back in the old days...funnily enough some of the best pheasant shooting was to be had in the flat fens.....the birds were more wild...light in weight and used to fly high and like hell............

think there are a couple of wild bird shoots left..

There are.....I am with one of them !!

Good sporting birds, we dont shoot hens, and its good fun !!

17 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I tried to get others interested, I really did.

But, I ventured in to the Fens alone.

Just for fun, the A1 south was closed, but I only found out when stuck in the traffic jam to the A47 and the diversion which of course, EVERYONE was using. Then the long drag along the A47 to lose the vast majority at the first junction at Thorpe wood.

Across town and finally leaving Peterborough and running south towards Pondersbridge, I started to hope the weather might hold.

Upon arrival, the gate was open, the farmer had been moving stuff around and the last part of the track was impassable to my small Ford shooting wagon.

Managed to turn the car around and carried the lofting poles to my favoured spot.

Set them up and spent the next 20 minutes or so clearing lots of low and fallen branches.

Went for a wander along the length of the spinney every now and again, that moved birds out and gave me some shooting.

I recovered 7 lovely fat wood pigeons, would have been more but my usual dog didn't come along either. Luckily I managed to select the WPs from the stock doves.

The rain started at 17:30 exactly, so I gave in, emptied the gun and placed it in its sleeve and put it in the car.

I returned to disassemble the two sets of lofting poles and took them back to the car.

Set off for home and bumped in to an Amazon driver looking for a delivery, directed him and continued home.

Got in, opened a beer (Fursty Ferret) and started the curry, sat here at the computer with Michael Palin raving about Brazil and wondering if I will stop at one beer?

Hope you are getting out there amongst the WPs.

I should have joined you Dave - instead I decided to watch the Rugby........England trashed at home 😬 

1 hour ago, stockybasher said:

There are.....I am with one of them !!

Good sporting birds, we dont shoot hens, and its good fun !!

I should have joined you Dave - instead I decided to watch the Rugby........England trashed at home 😬 

love to hear a write up on one of your days next season.........it would be living history....at a time when the barley barons of the fens considered pheasants as vermin on their partridge shoots ...using their 25" 2" cartridge Rossons :good:

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

love to hear a write up on one of your days next season.........it would be living history....at a time when the barley barons of the fens considered pheasants as vermin on their partridge shoots ...using their 25" 2" cartridge Rossons :good:

The late Mr John Humphreys always spoke well of the game shoots in the Fens and recon they could match some of the best shoots in the UK , not so sure about that statement but he certainly knew what he was talking about :drinks:

14 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The late Mr John Humphreys always spoke well of the game shoots in the Fens and recon they could match some of the best shoots in the UK , not so sure about that statement but he certainly knew what he was talking about :drinks:

Yes, I met John several times over the years, lovely chap.