Bandsaw recommendations.

holloway

Always a good place to ask advice so I’ve been thinking of getting one for a while just to enhance and speed up the process for some of my hobbies so not heavy industrial use.

Must be easy to set up and use as I’ve never used one before ,I reckon 80 mm cut depth is probably all I can get for my money £130 to £180 ish budget .

Any recommendations on we’re to buy or what brand would suit the best ,I did think about second hand but wouldn’t know what to look for condition wise.Smaller the better as space at a premium.

I have just purchased a second hand Record BK3 Bandsaw, which I had off EBay.

I collected it from Cardiff yesterday and I’m very pleased with the saw.

The saw was made in 1996 and has hardly been used and is in excellent condition.

It is plenty big enough for my needs and easy to move around if needed.

It came with 3 new blades and I had to alter the cutting guide fence as it was out of square when clamped in position , but all sorted now, and working perfectly.

I have ordered a sliding mitre guide and will adapt it to fit.

Very pleased with my purchase, and all for £70 and made in England.

17CB1794-C762-41E3-A526-6333930FF70C.jpeg

1597842D-7233-4AC7-8E5F-9B916C42650B.jpeg

EECACD94-BA8E-4441-AFD7-890FF4E9EA3B.jpeg

A7FC1037-FC4D-45C1-A644-C721F6BB1A00.jpeg

978ECD31-2B4A-4981-AFD1-9DC960742E47.jpeg

1 hour ago, manton said:

Axminster saws start outside your price range but Screwfix have two small saws which are well priced and quite small

Thanks for that I have had a look at the Screwfix ones ,and the Axminster stuff looks good might have to stretch the budget.

5 hours ago, Shambam1962 said:

I have just purchased a second hand Record BK3 Bandsaw, which I had off EBay.

I collected it from Cardiff yesterday and I’m very pleased with the saw.

The saw was made in 1996 and has hardly been used and is in excellent condition.

It is plenty big enough for my needs and easy to move around if needed.

It came with 3 new blades and I had to alter the cutting guide fence as it was out of square when clamped in position , but all sorted now, and working perfectly.

I have ordered a sliding mitre guide and will adapt it to fit.

Very pleased with my purchase, and all for £70 and made in England.

17CB1794-C762-41E3-A526-6333930FF70C.jpeg

1597842D-7233-4AC7-8E5F-9B916C42650B.jpeg

EECACD94-BA8E-4441-AFD7-890FF4E9EA3B.jpeg

A7FC1037-FC4D-45C1-A644-C721F6BB1A00.jpeg

978ECD31-2B4A-4981-AFD1-9DC960742E47.jpeg

That looks a bargain ,bet it makes life easier.

I was definitely lucky, with my purchase and it makes things a lot easier.

What I liked about the saw was the throat width 12”, which allows bigger pieces to be used. On the bed.

Just do a bit of homework and look at reviews on certain machines before making a decision.

My saw is only a single speed and not really suitable for cutting metal as it’s too fast, but I only wanted it for cutting out the stick handle blanks.

I opted for the Record saw as my father had Record RSBS12 for many years and had no problems with it.

I would definitely look on EBay or Gumtree at second hand machines as you can be lucky, and bargains can be had, but be aware of what your looking at.

Not everyone are genuine and honest.

My first bandsaw was a 30" wheeled Wadkin, one & a quarter tons of cast iron, Wish i still had it! I now have a Startrite 352 s which is a lovely machine.

A few years ago i was given a Rexon BS 10ka, Quite a compact machine & to be honest with my prior experience & ownership i didnt expect it to be much cop, I put it in my boat shed next to the motor launch im rebuilding & it has turned out to be a cracking little machine, Well made, accurate & easy to set up. I cant fault it.

Second hand Kity Bandsaw is the way to go. You should be able to get one off ebay for about your budget maybe a little more but well worth the money. You are not going to get anything as good as a Kity new for your budget.

• 1 month later...

Used to operate a twin 18ft bandsaw that ran at a fair old lick (fed a 100m a min 24 head moulder). Listening to it wirr up was always interesting, could predict your whole day to 99% accuracy from those few seconds. Seldom was it turned off. No idea what make it was.