New Pard question

30-6

I've been trying for about 6 months to figure out how to decrease rats on a local farm. Trouble is they are in an open sided large shed, split into two levels. Cows have free access to the lower level to bed down, while hay and loose cow cake are on the upper level, rat heaven.

I've only trapped 10, using fenns on runs. Last year I did sit in the corner with air rifle to no avail as I could only get about 5 yds from them.

But I've had a light bulb moment. If I wedge the side door open and position myself correctly, I can shoot through the width of the door, with the stacked hay as a backdrop.

So, I have a photon and an Alpex ( which to date I have not used, only zeroed on a .223 ). I could use one of these but would prefer to use a scope / pard set up. I don't own a side focus scope but was thinking of buying a Hawke Vantage model and putting on a Pard 007S. 

But I am unable to find this model Pard as apparently there is a new 007SP model in the pipeline. So two questions. Q1 - what does the P stand for in this newer model, and Q2 - I assume Pards work well with the Vantage range of scopes.

I was thinking of a Wraith, but some users rave about them while others wish they hadn't bought them.

As a mention, I have had limited success on a different farm by rigging up a 12v car red  light bulb to give a little light, and a standard low power red torch on a day scope. But as we all appreciate, nv is the way forward.

I would suggest a used Pard 007 with 12mm lens can be got at a good price and will do all you want and will need for this application.

Get a scope with Ao or side focus and also better with a low base magnification.

Edited by Good shot?

Hello, on what air rifle ?? Personally if you have a photon spare I would use that although the nights are getting lighter you can fit the cap on, just bait the area by the bales , on my friends farm we have a tractor shed with only one place I can shoot, baited with old wheat they soon find it and keep off the machinery , got 11 on Wednesday night 👍and that is with a MK 1 photon and I/R torch

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

As some have said, you dont need a lot of NV for rats, a 007 or 008 wont give you anything your Photon or Alpex cant do at rat range.

As an aside , the 007 SP  is the better sensored version of the 007S , and comes with optional rangefinder (SP RF version)

The 008 is being discontinued, and the DS models taking over.

Hi,

I've stopped trapping in the feed side, at the request of the farmer as he has regular deliveries of cow pellets which are blown in and covers anything in sight, so suits me. But I have put a couple of tunnels at the other side of the bales, where there is about a foot gap between bales and doors.

But, I have a tunnel on the outside wall where I was having the odd one unbaited fenn 4. My brother came over with an old tin of sardines in tomato sauce he found in his cupboard, for the traps. I put some on the outside trap and have had 4 in a week.

As far as nv, think I will take people's advice and try the photon on the AAs200 or I have an AAxtra fac to try. If then I'm getting lots, I can decide to stay with the photon or go pard.