Difference between Beretta Sporting and Field stocks

Shadowchaser

I usually end up altering the LOP using the interchangeable pads on my Beretta guns. 

What I noticed this weekend after having a play around with some of the guns I have is the difference in height of the butt of the sporting and field models. 

The field models had a rear height of about 126mm and the sporter 136mm.  Interestingly the rear of my 28ga field model is interchangeable with the 12ga fields. 

But the sporters as I say are taller. 

Why is this?  Does it change how you handle the gun? Mount it etc for clays rather than game? Or is it just an aesthetic thing?   

I think it’s supposedly to be that field guns are faster handling, quick to Mount but not as precise, snap shooting etc, they snap into the shoulder faster, have a smaller area to get caught up (again supposedly). 

Clay / sporter guns are bigger / wider and are usually pre mounted. 

Some might say the difference is minimal but I certainly noticed I shot the field model better with my 20 bore so sold my 12 bore sporter and bought a field gun. 

Beretta's and the difference between competition and field models is small and very subjective.

As Lloyd says it is to make things quicker for field use where the shooting is reactive.

On the clays, the shooting is much more measured, you know what is coming.

Many clay shots shoot gun up, not possible in the field.

Competition stocks are heavier as are the guns, but then you would expect that as you'll be shooting at least a 100 shots at an event.

The ONLY Beretta guns I can shoot have been the field models. There is a noticeable difference in the stocks, especially in the comb. That is why they do a 'field or sporting ' recoil pad. I also have an old Beretta 303 Sporting model, and a current 'field' recoil pad fits straight onto it,  so they have altered the woodwork in the last 30 years.

I have found that the extra 10mm of recoil pad height (stock height from but to toe) makes no difference whatsoever to the speed of gun mount. I find the key determinant for good natural shooting is gun fit - plain and simple. The only advantage I can find in the larger but section of the Beretta sporters, is that they spread the recoil pulse over a slightly larger surface area of pad. By the way, I’ve never known any successful sporting clays shot who pre-mounts their gun. I’m not sure that sporting guns are especially adapted for pre-mount styles - like trap guns. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

By the way, I’ve never known any successful sporting clays shot who pre-mounts their gun.

I think that many of us were taught to use the mounting as part of the whole shooting 'technique/method'.  I know I was.  The Stanbury and Churchill methods taught to many game shooters combine the action of mounting the gun stock to the face and shoulder with bringing the muzzles to bear on the target flight line.

I only play at clays for fun, and like many have 'good days and bad days'.  It was my understanding that many clays disciplines actually require at least a 'gun out of shoulder' when calling for the bird?  Perhaps I have this wrong?

28 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I only play at clays for fun, and like many have 'good days and bad days'.  It was my understanding that many clays disciplines actually require at least a 'gun out of shoulder' when calling for the bird?  Perhaps I have this wrong?

No, you don't. Several disciplines have variations on where the gun hold must be when you either call for the target or sometimes the target is seen.

7 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think that many of us were taught to use the mounting as part of the whole shooting 'technique/method'.  I know I was.  The Stanbury and Churchill methods taught to many game shooters combine the action of mounting the gun stock to the face and shoulder with bringing the muzzles to bear on the target flight line.

Yes indeed - I remember reading Stanbury’s book. That kind of natural gun mount, with the gun coming up to the eye line, i.e one flowing movement, is the same for sporting clays. Someone famous called it ‘move, mount, shoot’ - was it George Digweed?

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Yes indeed - I remember reading Stanbury’s book. That kind of natural gun mount, with the gun coming up to the eye line, i.e one flowing movement, is the same for sporting clays. Someone famous called it ‘move, mount, shoot’ - was it George Digweed?

John Bidwell

On 12/04/2023 at 12:51, JohnfromUK said:

BUT, regardless of 'shooting for fun' or otherwise, IF you can perfect your gun mounting whilst on the clay ground, you WILL carry that through to the Game days. I use an out and out clay gun at the shooting ground and a lightweight side by side English gun for shooting game. I shoot them both equally well, but my approach, stance and gunmounting are identical EVERY time. I did that at the clay ground, even going so far as to shoot skeet whilst sitting down,  which paid dividends in the pigeon or duck hides.

4 minutes ago, Westley said:

BUT, regardless of 'shooting for fun' or otherwise, IF you can perfect your gun mounting whilst on the clay ground, you WILL carry that through to the Game days.

Entirely agree.  The 'for fun' explanation was to explain my ignorance of the rules (regarding pre mounting and out of the shoulder etc.) of the different clays disciplines.