.22lr is now obsolete for me

23 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Hi, I have used steel in shotguns I would say it’s fine as long as long as you rein your distance in a bit, the thing is, there’s always danger of a ricochet.

I have a friend who shoots he loads his own ammunition, and he was saying he’s had to push the bullet faster, because the bullet is not expanding, and it’s passing right the way through and carrying on

Yes Steel is fine, just not as good as Lead, well not like for like anyhow.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, holloway said:

To be fair no I’m not a rifle shooter,  but there are a lot of reviews on the internet many very positive ,and let’s be frank there are still many who say steel shotgun cartridges are rubbish and those who bother to check themselves have been converted .

Can you post any links to reviews from someone you trust? I would like to use lead free .22 in some situations which is why I tried a box. I was honestly quite shocked at how bad it was and I've used a fair bit of budget .22 in my time.

It is also still hard to get hold of and very expensive so it's not realistic to get half a dozen different makes to try. I'm not convinced the light weight bullets will be that good in many existing .22s and I've been waiting for years for something similar to lead to come along, such as the Hortonium that has been suggested.

20 hours ago, old'un said:

I have posted this link in another thread but it might be worth contacting them to see where they are with launching this alternative to lead.

Hortonium lead shot alternative drop test…https://www.hortonguns.com/?p=688

Lead shot ban, pah! Old news..https://www.hortonguns.com/?p=671

Interesting reading thanks for sharing

10 hours ago, Windswept said:

Can you post any links to reviews from someone you trust? I would like to use lead free .22 in some situations which is why I tried a box. I was honestly quite shocked at how bad it was and I've used a fair bit of budget .22 in my time.

It is also still hard to get hold of and very expensive so it's not realistic to get half a dozen different makes to try. I'm not convinced the light weight bullets will be that good in many existing .22s and I've been waiting for years for something similar to lead to come along, such as the Hortonium that has been suggested.

Hi
I haven’t seen a good review with lead free in 22lr yet?. 
there’s one bad review that keeps coming up every time I research 22LR is Field sports Britain field tester and that doesn’t look good at all

20 hours ago, holloway said:

To be fair no I’m not a rifle shooter,  but there are a lot of reviews on the internet many very positive ,and let’s be frank there are still many who say steel shotgun cartridges are rubbish and those who bother to check themselves have been converted .

Hi, the other side of this coin, I do a lot of loading during the pheasant season season and I’m a member of a syndicate mysel All of the guns, have Purdys and high-end side-by-side, some of which were handed down from their parents and bought for them when they were younger. A lot of the guns are reaching 60 to nearly 80 years old now. The thing is at the stage in life some of them don’t want to buy a new gun so they can shoot steel and don’t want to put steel through there, best Purdys and some of them have mentioned to me when this lead ban comes into affect they will probably pack up shooting

A good reason why we need to encourage the younger generation to Shoot 

Standard steel, with the correct cartridge, is no problem through old English guns in good condition. It doesn’t seem to bother my H&H from 1930.

Strange thing: older shooters thinking about giving up rather than maybe ruin their guns. Who cares if the gun is knackered when you are?

44 minutes ago, London Best said:

Standard steel, with the correct cartridge, is no problem through old English guns in good condition. It doesn’t seem to bother my H&H from 1930.

Strange thing: older shooters thinking about giving up rather than maybe ruin their guns. Who cares if the gun is knackered when you are?

This. 

7 hours ago, London Best said:

7 hours ago, Scully said:

This. 

Think they’re more worried about the guns blowing up and also some have said the killing instinct isn’t there anymore

29 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Never get in the way of someone looking for excuses to offload nice kit to you for a reduced price.

🙂 Quite! I had pondered offering to buy their Purdys; should be a bargain to be had if they’re also considered obsolete. 👍

3 hours ago, London Best said:

What has that got to do with not wanting to fire steel shot through ‘best’ guns?

Nothing, but it’s a good excuse to not carry on when the steel band comes into force

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Really? Why would they would think their guns will blow up? 

If you had a gun made in 1897, would you want to put steel through it?

9 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

If you had a gun made in 1897, would you want to put steel through it?

If it’s nitro proofed then I can’t see why not. 
If the gun isn’t capable of using steel or another type of NTS then it’s worthless, but me being a soft hearted gent’ will offer the bloke with the Purdy 50 quid for it. Can’t say fairer than that. 👍

11 hours ago, London Best said:

Fair play to you, I think it’s all different reasons for packing up some of these guns are heirlooms I wouldn’t be worth handing down if they was knackered some of them are not renewing their shot gun licenses, because they I can’t be bothered to jump through hoops  doctors certificates and all that

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What a very bizarre thread this has developed in to!    :rolleyes:

😀 Hasn’t it! Logic seems to play no part in the OP’s posts at all! 
I’m at a loss as to why anyone would NEED a ‘good excuse’ to give up shooting, lead ban or not! 🤔

1 minute ago, silver fox 1 said:

Fair play to you, I think it’s all different reasons for packing up some of these guns are heirlooms I wouldn’t be worth handing down if they was knackered some of them are not renewing their shot gun licenses, because they I can’t be bothered to jump through hoops  doctors certificates and all that

If you can’t use them then why would you want to hand it down to anyone, especially if it’s not worth anything? 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

If the gun isn’t capable of using steel or another type of NTS then it’s worthless, but me being a soft hearted gent’ will offer the bloke with the Purdy 50 quid for it. Can’t say fairer than that. 👍

I’ve already offered him 30 quit for it i’ll let you know if you have it gets back to me 😂😂

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

Hi, I’ll tell you what scully if they don’t sort the 22 rimfire ammunition out you can buy my 22rf for 50 quit🤫