What Strimmer

I have had EFCO branded gear for years, 36cc strimmer has given up the ghost after 10 years of >10 gardens a week as a side line plus my own and in laws and only thing I am leaning towards is the switch to E10 petrol. It doesn't work well with 2 strokes! By the time I paid enough attention to it it had goosed it!

Petrol Brushcutter Deals | MowDirect - Oleo mac are the parent company also.

18 hours ago, RyanMc said:

I have had EFCO branded gear for years, 36cc strimmer has given up the ghost after 10 years of >10 gardens a week as a side line plus my own and in laws and only thing I am leaning towards is the switch to E10 petrol. It doesn't work well with 2 strokes! By the time I paid enough attention to it it had goosed it!

Petrol Brushcutter Deals | MowDirect - Oleo mac are the parent company also.

Probably just needs a carb clean and rebuild. The E10 can gum up more and damage the diaphragms, won't have done any damage to the engine.

OP - if you had a good experience of 18 years trouble free service from a Stihl why would you now be looking for cheaper options. Did it not prove it's value?

I had a Triton split shaft a few years back. Incredible value and worked well but 3 months in it just stopped running right and the carb can't be adjusted. Screwfix too it back no issue, so in that respect good if you do it every year but also rubbish.

I  pulled the carb apart and used a degreaser and thinners through it to clean it in an ultrasonic bath to no avail. The E10 reduces the lubrication properties and increases the combustion temps causing premature wear/damage. Worked hard for 10years so I can't complain too much, approx. £30/yr to purchase it. 

Replacing it with this: DS 5300 T: Professional brushcutters - Efco (myefco.com)

Edited by RyanMc

Not a strimmer - but I love my Viking Lawnmower - they don't exist as a brand anymore as they were taken over by Stihl (no PW Drift here :) ). If the VK goes I would replace with the equivalent Stihl

I have an RYOBI multi head thing but it is used infrequently and TBH more hassle than its worth - the last fix didn't really fix it and it won't tick over now. Would love to go Stihl to get one of these heads as well but the price!!

https://www.sam-turner.co.uk/products/stihl-rg-rotary-cutting-head-attachment?variant=34419032326283&fo_c=603&fo_k=8e6671790a3528a9ebf06a5630411726&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CjwKCAjwvdajBhBEEiwAeMh1U6K4FWKB0JYa4p4AgLXDZZlXx6fHKiv85cV88or1UazO0srf0OpotxoC-8kQAvD_BwE

23 minutes ago, discobob said:

Not a strimmer - but I love my Viking Lawnmower - they don't exist as a brand anymore as they were taken over by Stihl (no PW Drift here :) ). If the VK goes I would replace with the equivalent Stihl

I have an RYOBI multi head thing but it is used infrequently and TBH more hassle than its worth - the last fix didn't really fix it and it won't tick over now. Would love to go Stihl to get one of these heads as well but the price!!

https://www.sam-turner.co.uk/products/stihl-rg-rotary-cutting-head-attachment?variant=34419032326283&fo_c=603&fo_k=8e6671790a3528a9ebf06a5630411726&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CjwKCAjwvdajBhBEEiwAeMh1U6K4FWKB0JYa4p4AgLXDZZlXx6fHKiv85cV88or1UazO0srf0OpotxoC-8kQAvD_BwE

Sack that Idea - just looked at Stihl and they have basically gone full on battery bar two model lawnmowers (with a "type of fish" grass collectors)

1 hour ago, discobob said:

Not a strimmer - but I love my Viking Lawnmower - they don't exist as a brand anymore as they were taken over by Stihl (no PW Drift here  ). If the VK goes I would replace with the equivalent Stihl

Ryobi strimmers are utter carp....they work for about 3 mths then they start getting difficult to start.....as said utter carp

• 1 month later...

Update on my SGS £104 strimmer. Have used it now about 6 times and really impressed with it.

Pros,very powerful, splits into 2 for transporting, has a trigger lock switch on it for long runs, starts very easily, ive used different diameters,makes of string on it no problem.

Cons, it is a heavy beast, but seems well made.

Overall well impressed with it, plus 1 year warranty.

Worth a look if your in the market for one 👍