From your Fenland Correspondent!

TIGHTCHOKE

One particular Farmer is suffering nightmares because his mustard is under attack.

Consequently I arranged for 3 of us to get out and see if we could stop a few.

Upon arrival we set about the reconnaissance and started to formulate a plan.

I got dropped off at my chosen spot and it was my intention to keep the birds moving for the other two to shoot.

I set up against an old barn just inside the boundary. The birds were keen on spending time in the trees on the other side of the road.

Well I got the majority of the shooting, spent a lovely afternoon shooting quite a few wood pigeons and plenty of corvids.

At one stage I saw a jackdaw hassling a swift, the jackdaw was shot and the swift continued to gather insects.

The wood pigeons have been distributed amongst the needy of the parish!

All in all a very pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

IMG_20230528_154943.jpg

IMG_20230528_193226.jpg

Excellent afternoons sport T C and I would have to go back to last Summer when I had similar bags , Mustard is a very good crop to attract Pigeons and some years we grow some to enhance the land but sadly we haven't got any this year , your laying out the bag is far better than a lot of the Norfolk boys but not a patch on the master ( P C ) from the mid lands , still it do show you made the effort so well done on all accounts :good:

14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I didn't lay those few out, that was the chap I took them to trying to get them cool quickly.

The Farmer is very grateful.

One or two Flys were hanging about yesterday so the few I got I put them in the freezer as soon as I got home , this sort out any eggs if the Flys left any on the Pigeons , I aint shooting enough to waste any and not only that I am also far to mean as well .:good:

7 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Great result from a farmers request, I understand the reason for the lay out well done. Still no numbers in the Midlands, DB delivered ten to me tonight from just walking round a farm and shooting birds breaking from trees spooked by his dogs.

Yes that is always better than no shooting, I've walked a good few miles on slow days.

Yesterday, at the request of Stockybasher, I moved almost half way up the Eastern boundary (the river) to try to get things moving, but without the van that was at the other end of the farm I was only a man with a gun and and a pocketful of cartridges. I stood at an old pillbox and shot 7 that all fell in the tall barley crop and became food for the fox.

10 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Great result from a farmers request, I understand the reason for the lay out well done. Still no numbers in the Midlands, DB delivered ten to me tonight from just walking round a farm and shooting birds breaking from trees spooked by his dogs.

Something I have always enjoyed on a Summers evening was going down the marsh and watching where the Pigeons are dropping into small laid patches of Wheat , I then walk down the tram lines with my dog and get a shot when they jump up , the smaller the patchers the better as you can walk nearly walk up to the edge before they jump , also it keep my dog in trim as he mark the first one and if you happen to get a pair the second one is a blind retrieve , very rarely you ended up with a blank and it wasn't unusual to get half a dozen in an evening , now down the marshes near me are all taken up with grazing livestock from a charity , I dare say there is far more money in grazing livestock from the farmers point of view than growing crops :good:

On 29/05/2023 at 05:48, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes that is always better than no shooting, I've walked a good few miles on slow days.

Yesterday, at the request of Stockybasher, I moved almost half way up the Eastern boundary (the river) to try to get things moving, but without the van that was at the other end of the farm I was only a man with a gun and and a pocketful of cartridges. I stood at an old pillbox and shot 7 that all fell in the tall barley crop and became food for the fox.

Did that pill box have a big old tree root on top? 

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Potentially going back to the same place tomorrow!

I’ll listen out for you. 

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, no old tree stumps on it.

Just sitting there from the days when it was there to defend the River Nene (old course) at Benwick.

I know it all very well, as I work on that river and district. Good luck today.