Well that was Mustard

muncher

As Saturday is my birthday and my kids like to see their dad on this day I decided to take Friday afternoon off work for a little go at some pigeons. There’s a Mustard field around my work depot with a few pigeons going in , so I checked with the farmer if it was ok and he was happy for me to have a go. I didn’t expect much as when I check the field it was never that busy.At 12 o’clock I set up with my back against a hedge on  a 90 degree corner as the field is L shaped, this way any birds should see my set up from all directions. I only had 6 silosocks and 6 half shell decoys to start with. I was expecting to have a slow but steady afternoon and I was hoping for about 30 birds. I just got in the hide and one went past on my left which I shot and carefully marked it in the tall mustard. A few seconds later one straight into the decoys and down. Now I had two for the rotary, this I put out to my right hand side. The pigeons came in with confidence and in flurries and in half an hour I had 15 down. Now I expected it to slow down from this point, but they just kept coming in. I shot until 3 30 as I said I’ll be home by 4.30 ish I picked up 91 pigeons and a jackdaw. I was very happy with my afternoon off. 

IMG_2683.jpeg

Edited by muncher

Couldn't think of a better way to spend an afternoon off from the work place , just don't seem possible how you have got that amount of Pigeons in the north of the county than we have in the South , still at least we know they are about ( somewhere ) , yesterday afternoon I was also out and it was the first day for ages I didn't have to put a jacket on , the wind was a strong Easterly but was no longer that cold ole wind we have had for weeks , Pigeon wise , again it was very slow and from setting up on the now tall Peas at 1. 45 pm I doubt if I saw 50 odd Pigeons all afternoon and by 4 pm with six in the bag it was time to call it a day and have a look around for somewhere this afternoon .

Happy Birthday for today MM:yay:

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Couldn't think of a better way to spend an afternoon off from the work place , just don't seem possible how you have got that amount of Pigeons in the north of the county than we have in the South , still at least we know they are about ( somewhere ) , yesterday afternoon I was also out and it was the first day for ages I didn't have to put a jacket on , the wind was a strong Easterly but was no longer that cold ole wind we have had for weeks , Pigeon wise , again it was very slow and from setting up on the now tall Peas at 1. 45 pm I doubt if I saw 50 odd Pigeons all afternoon and by 4 pm with six in the bag it was time to call it a day and have a look around for somewhere this afternoon .

Happy Birthday for today MM:yay:

The farmer was very happy, he’s text me several other fields of mustard and peas that are getting hammered. There’s always pigeons in this area it seems. 

How did you manage to pick up in the mustard ?  Or do you have a dog(s) ??  My comment is based on some mustard that I can shoot, but it is too high now to pickup in, otherwise I would be trampling the crop !! (apart from the margins per your photo ).

As a non dog owner I'm not sure if dogs can pickup anyway, due to the very strong smell from ripening mustard ??

Anyway, very well done - I am just jealous :) 

Nick

2 minutes ago, stockybasher said:

How did you manage to pick up in the mustard ?  Or do you have a dog(s) ??  My comment is based on some mustard that I can shoot, but it is too high now to pickup in, otherwise I would be trampling the crop !! (apart from the margins per your photo ).

As a non dog owner I'm not sure if dogs can pickup anyway, due to the very strong smell from ripening mustard ??

Anyway, very well done - I am just jealous :) 

Nick

I have dogs , and a lot dropped into the eaten bit in front.