Jack Pyke Open 2023- Sporting Targets

TIGHTCHOKE

My eldest Son booked us in for the last day of the JPO at Sporting Targets for fathers Day.

He drove down from Cumbria yesterday having taken a break from beating his new home in to submission.

We were booked on for 10:30 and arrived in good time, booked in (£60) for the 120 birds and assembled the guns.

We were taken to the first stand on a comfortable trailer towed by a quad.

15 stands including some interesting innovations, nothing too far out, but plenty of interesting angles and timing challenges.

As we walked around the course there were portable toilets, water available and even apples to munch on.

Andy Clifton had set the course for 115 to win and Martyn Miers did exactly that.

726 people shot the course and I have only heard good things about it.

We thoroughly enjoyed the round, no queueing apart from two stands where the ground staff were topping up the carousels.

Cracking weather and a great layout on what is arguably the best ESP ground in the country.

VERY WELL DONE Sporting Targets

21 hours ago, marsh man said:

Glad you had a good day out and a nice thought from your lad .

As nobody had asked , What was your score for the round T C ?   :good:

I shot 103 and my son shot 91 so all in all we were both quite happy

10 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Sounds like a really fun day with the best of company!

Interesting innovations.... do share?

On one stand the firing position was elevated and there were 4 traps, you shot report pairs of A and B, B and C, C and D and finally A and D. Quite interesting.

Oh and the "rat" that sort of dribbled down a plank and arrived front right at about 16 feet out and ran in to a rut in the ground. Lot of people shot over that one.

Nothing too far out, all done with angles and timing and a bit of thought on the part of the shooter.

23 hours ago, sam triple said:

Sounds like a good day out , I’m doing the Berettas next Friday hopefully it’ll be as well run 

Good luck.  :good:

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

On one stand the firing position was elevated and there were 4 traps, you shot report pairs of A and B, B and C, C and D and finally A and D. Quite interesting.

Oh and the "rat" that sort of dribbled down a plank and arrived front right at about 16 feet out and ran in to a rut in the ground. Lot of people shot over that one.

I often shoot AB, BC, CD etc, and I don't get why it's not done more. I guess sportrap is close to that from different views. I do love a rat, there is also a lovely floppy looper that's about 3 metres away and people miss for the same reason as your rat! Good score too! :D

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Nothing too far out, all done with angles and timing and a bit of thought on the part of the shooter.

Good luck.  :good:

Not good so far they’ve missed one of us off the team list 

On 20/06/2023 at 09:31, HantsRob said:

I often shoot AB, BC, CD etc, and I don't get why it's not done more. I guess sportrap is close to that from different views. I do love a rat, there is also a lovely floppy looper that's about 3 metres away and people miss for the same reason as your rat! Good score too!

Mainly because it is a Sportrap or Compak set up, not English Sporting as a Registered Competition would be run.

On 19/06/2023 at 19:28, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If the winning score was 115 T C , then your 103 was a very good score and not that far off from being on the leader board , your lad's was also a tidy score and look like he will soon be catching up with the pace setter.:good:

P S   Was it out of a 120 round ? 

WELL DONE      MM

• 2 months later...