Cleaning moderator question

30-6

I decided to have a look inside my Sak moderator that I have only ever used on my .22 lr, first time after years of use, not heavy use mind.

I tapped out loose dry bits, then brushed inside baffles with nylon brush. Gave it a spray and wipe with WD40 but there are still some staining.

Question is, can I use something like Hoppes 009 or similar to see if I can get a bit more cleaner.

All in all, still good condition and working well, signs of where heat has done its thing as to be expected.

I used to lightly oil the internals of my moderator, but I found it made no difference if I did or not. I assume the exhaust from the gases quickly expel the oil and all you have done is waste a bit of oil!!

I just take it off periodically and soak it overnight, give it a clean and its good as new!

1 hour ago, Croohur said:

I used to lightly oil the internals of my moderator, but I found it made no difference if I did or not. I assume the exhaust from the gases quickly expel the oil and all you have done is waste a bit of oil!!

I just take it off periodically and soak it overnight, give it a clean and its good as new!

If using the Silensave, the hot gases 'bake' the spray onto the metal surfaces. Tests have been done to prove that it works well.