Music question for oldies.

30-6

Got woken up earlier one morning while carp fishing, to the sound of 'Albatross' being played on a fete PA system in an adjoining field behind me, just as the mist was lifting off the water and the sun coming up. Still probably the most surreal occurrence I have experienced.

Peter Green every time. Now let's find out how many people know who I'm talking about ?

Rarely gets a mention when greatest guitarists of all time lists are dreamed up, but up there with the best.

When these lists were first produced, they normally had:-

1. Eric Clapton

2. Jimmy Page

3.Jimi Hendrix.

I would have said Page, Clapton, Hendrix, but after Jimi's death he has become number one. No idea why, as he obviously didn't record new stuff after his demise.

Others who don't get mentioned, but as good as these - Ollie Halsall, Ernie Isley and Bill Nelson.

22 hours ago, 30-6 said:

You youngesters won't know what I am on about, but for us oldies, put these in your preferred order. This is mine.

1 ~ Albatross - Fleetwood Mac

2 ~ Strangers on the shore - Acker Bilk

3 ~ Apache - The Shadows

4 ~ Telstar - The Tornadoes.

1 - Just because.
3 - Reminds me of hearing lads ripping up the main road in the dead of night, likely heading to or from the Busy Bee Cafe. You could hear the faint sound of a bike or bikes way off in the distance and as the minutes passed the sound would gradually get louder until they passed and then minutes would pass as the sound would slowly fade in and out until silence ruled again.

2 - Sunday dinner, Two Way Family Favourites, home, mum & dad, watching aircraft from the end of the runway with my old man.
4 - Saturday up the town.

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Rarely gets a mention when greatest guitarists of all time lists are dreamed up, but up there with the best.

When these lists were first produced, they normally had:-

1. Eric Clapton

2. Jimmy Page

3.Jimi Hendrix.

I would have said Page, Clapton, Hendrix, but after Jimi's death he has become number one. No idea why, as he obviously didn't record new stuff after his demise.

Others who don't get mentioned, but as good as these - Ollie Halsall, Ernie Isley and Bill Nelson.

Gary Moore is up there but nobody has even heard of him.

The reason Peter Green never gets a mention is because someone gave him some dodgy LSD in 1970 while on tour with Fleedwood Mac in Germany. It nearly killed him. Possibly spiked his drink with it but he was already becoming a bit odd

He literally never recovered, it  fried his brain and it turned him into a recluse with anxiety and psychosis for the rest of his life. The medication they gave him to control his illness turned him into a zombie

Green  just disappeared as far as the public were concerned.  Nobody would even talk about him.

Apart from a few token appearances between long spells in mental institutions he never worked again

Rory Gallagher, Danny Kirwan, Mick Taylor, G E Smith, Elliott Randall and Robert Fripp never got the accolades that Hendrix did. 

For the record, I am a great fan of Jimi Hendrix - every single he brought out was a change in style, enhanced by his antics. He wasn't the normal stand there guitarists, but I have difficulty accepting he was the greatest.

Groups like John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and the Yardbirds seemed to have more than their fair share of top guitarists.

Edited by Gordon R

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Rory Gallagher, Danny Kirwan, Mick Taylor, G E Smith, Elliott Randall and Robert Fripp never got the accolades that Hendrix did. 

For the record, I am a great fan of Jimi Hendrix - every single he brought out was a change in style, enhanced by his antics. He wasn't the normal stand there guitarists, but I have difficulty accepting he was the greatest.

Groups like John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and the Yardbirds seemed to have more than their fair share of top guitarists.

Jimi Hendrix was by far the most original innovator. The things he did mixing chords that nobody else thought went together before he did it. Listen to the intro on red house as an example.

Others copied him but he was very much the first and the thing was he made it up as he went along. His ability to improvise set him aside. 

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Vince - hard to argue with that. He definitely brought another dimension to guitar playing.

I rate a lot of guitarists that are happy to be in the background often only supporting bigger names. But are the power behind those names.

Scott Goram is a good example, Keith Scott and Albert Lee come quickly to mind, Joe Walsh etc

Edited by Vince Green

Cor remember, what was it 7 or 8 45's at a time, or a LP.

Then when the "record" stuck you had to get up to lift the arm.

Was the dancette the one in a case, where you closed the lid did the clips up and there was carry handle ?