Shiny decoys

Bobba

Decided to refresh my full bodied unflocked plastic decoys with Matt finish paint colour matched sampler pots at B&Q.

Fortunately I only did one as a trial. Despite alleged Matt finish they shine . I read somewhere that mixing fullers earth with the paint reduces shine. Does anyone have knowledge of this trick or can offer ideas? Many thanks.

Try water based paint instead of oil finish , when I needed a couple of Crow decoys I was far to tight to buy a couple , so looking into the paint cuboard in the garage I had a gallon tin of Black Sandtex that I bought for next to nothing off the car boot , I gave two ole full body Pigeon decoys a couple of coats and they worked a treat with not the slightest bit of shine , anyone who live near me and want half a gallon of smooth Black Santex f o c just get in touch and you can gladly have it .

It maybe something you did, I always use the matt grey from B & Q. Never had a problem.

For crows, I've used underseal, blackboard paint, army matt black paint or anything I could get for free.

Never heard of the fullers earth method, I can only imagine it would thicken it. It used to be standard issue for HM Forces, blot, bang, rub. If you know you know.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

It maybe something you did, I always use the matt grey from B & Q. Never had a problem.

For crows, I've used underseal, blackboard paint, army matt black paint or anything I could get for free.

Never heard of the fullers earth method, I can only imagine it would thicken it. It used to be standard issue for HM Forces, blot, bang, rub. If you know you know.

Same here , I have never heard of fullers earth method , and like you I try to restore or replace something to do decoying as cheap as possible , as for Crows you can also use a drop of the mat Black they use on stoves and fire places , something we often had a little left over after painting the ole cast iron fire place and surrounds in the cottages we done up.

6 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Same here , I have never heard of fullers earth method , and like you I try to restore or replace something to do decoying as cheap as possible , as for Crows you can also use a drop of the mat Black they use on stoves and fire places , something we often had a little left over after painting the ole cast iron fire place and surrounds in the cottages we done up.

Grey primer for pigeons, boot polish for crows as they do shine naturally in the sunshine

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Grey primer for pigeons, boot polish for crows as they do shine naturally in the sunshine

Sound a good idea to me P C , the list is getting longer and longer and we will soon have enough ideas for a fashion parade for the best dressed ( practical ) decoy . so get polishing and painting everyone :hmm:

Thank you for the interesting comments. As I sad, only one done as a sample / experiment so nothing lost.

20 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

mix the paintfor allot longer than usual. you can also get a spay called dull coat that will put an ultra mat finish on them. protect them aswell

Sweet11-87. Do you have a particular product in mind please? There are many out there.

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

Thank you for the interesting comments. As I sad, only one done as a sample / experiment so nothing lost.

Sweet11-87. Do you have a particular product in mind please? There are many out there.

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

Testors dull its is good but expensive. For the task of just taking a Sheen off decoys I’d just use probably Halfords own. Another option is to rough up the decoys a bit with a wire brush in a drill will also give the paint more bite and a more hard wearing finish. But I’d make sure you shake the paint very very very well before using it. I’ve found that not very well mixed Matt paint often dries glossy